Notices

Insomnia in early recovery?

Old 06-11-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insomnia in early recovery?

Hi! I'm popping in from the F&F side and got the suggestion to also pose this question here for those with more experience.

My AH is making another go in AA and has set a goal of 30 meetings in 30 days. He is just under a week sober so far, although I couldn't tell you the exact # of days - I'm trying to keep "hope" separate from "expectation" while staying out of his way.

Did you have insomnia when you first stopped drinking (he literally never "fell asleep" but passed out - sometimes in multiple sessions - almost every night for years)? In your experience, how long does the insomnia usually last? This is one of the biggest issues for AH (and me as well, as he sometimes wakes me when he's up).

TIA!
Old 06-11-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Welcome, glad you're here!
And yes - many or most of us did. I now relish falling asleep as opposed to passing out and waking up vs. regaining consciousness.

Everyone has there own experience, but some light walking the dog - exercise helped. I did drink a lot more coffee when I got sober - still do! Is that part of it = decafe, perhaps.

A week or two and I had started getting more rest as I recall - sounds about right.

Sounds like he's luck to have you and your support - awesome.
keep coming back!
Old 06-11-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Still do occasionally. Part of my problem is physical pain. Drinking drowned out the pains of age and abuse that can keep me awake now. I'm so good at ignoring it that I have to take stock of my condition about 9 or 10 PM and decide if I want some painkiller.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wheresmyunicorn View Post
Hi! I'm popping in from the F&F side and got the suggestion to also pose this question here for those with more experience.

My AH is making another go in AA and has set a goal of 30 meetings in 30 days. He is just under a week sober so far, although I couldn't tell you the exact # of days - I'm trying to keep "hope" separate from "expectation" while staying out of his way.

Did you have insomnia when you first stopped drinking (he literally never "fell asleep" but passed out - sometimes in multiple sessions - almost every night for years)? In your experience, how long does the insomnia usually last? This is one of the biggest issues for AH (and me as well, as he sometimes wakes me when he's up).

TIA!
It's very common. Alcohol is a depressant, and when you stop taking a lot of a depressant, you're going to have some sleeping issues (especially if he was drinking before bed and used to falling asleep that way). Exercise, cutting down as much as possible on caffeine (especially in the afternoon and evening), and trying to stay calm all help somewhat, but it will take time for the body to adjust.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes it is very common. I am sober 13 days now and the first week I slept horrible. I did find exercise at night ...like a walk or bike ride around the block with my kids not only helps me sleep better but helps me get some exercise.

He's a lucky man to have you by his side thru this!