Notices

what category of drinker do i fall into

Old 06-11-2015, 01:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what category of drinker do i fall into

trying to sum this up as they seem to tie everyone under one label nowadays

ok never woke up wanting a drink(couldn't think of anything worse tbh] and If was told I wasn't having a beer today I wouldn't be that bothered

however generally come 5pm I liked downing a good 4 pints and on the weekends 3 times as much

ive been this way for 2 years

thanks ohwell
Old 06-11-2015, 02:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not great fan of labels - if your drinking is causing you problems, you're making a good decision to stop and you're very welcome here, ohwell

D
Old 06-11-2015, 02:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

To be honest, I had a period of time where I didn't consider my drinking was even an issue, then something changed and I became concerned about my drinking habits. If you're worried about it, then it's good that you're here. No need to label yourself :-)
Old 06-11-2015, 02:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ok cheers.....well im 11 days in now ill have my own calendar out soon at this rate in the pound shops MR JULY if I wake up looking any fresher
Old 06-11-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I drank a half bottle of wine daily and a full bottle + maybe some brandy Friday and Saturday. For me, it's not so much the quantity but what it did to the quality of my life. A couple glasses in and I was on the couch for the rest of the evening. Saturday afternoon, at loose ends, start drinking. Nothing productive happening at home, only the bare essentials.

Next came poor sleep, foggy brain, feeling stressed and anxious at work, repeat repeat repeat.
Now I wake up every day feeling refreshed and energetic and ten years younger.

Be sure to post your calendar pic!
Old 06-11-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I drank about the same as you, same type of non cravings, no troubles with law, drink/drive or anything.

My category is "Sick and tired of being sick and tired."

CJ.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

How many categories are there to choose from? And if you can tell me what they are, how do they affect what you must do?

Labels don't do anything. Lots of alcoholics use that label to explain their drinking, not drive change. That decision to change has to come from a different place.

Are you ready to make your decision about continuing to use alcohol? That is the real question.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

SAToSAT

Sick and tired of sick and tired category
I like that and can relate. I've been poking around here for a bit now, not really sure where I fall into, either. But if nothing else I'm sick of it. That should be reason enough.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Labels are for all the medical folks. They gotta find a "bucket" to put you in so then they can follow the protocol, med schedule, mental health professionals, the works to "assist" you with your problem. All the while milking as much insurance money out of you as they can. Humans have become what they call in business a revenue stream.

If you think you have a problem with alcohol, it is likely you do. In fact, many people who don't think they have a problem with alcohol....probably do. I am one of them.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My category is "alcoholic".
Old 06-11-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"Non" is the category of drinker that applies to me.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Categories can just lead you round in circles. I used to drink daily, 12 beer's a night. Now it's only Fri sat sun. 8 to 10. Sounds like an improvement? The problem is I can't drink as much because now it's' binge' drinking instead. Drank my 12 beer's over 5 hours or so last Saturday had 6 in the first hour asleep/passed out by 7.30 PM. Never vomiting in the morning because now I drink so fast it's black out, pass out every time. Definitely not an improvement going from 'heavy drinker' to 'binge' drinker.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by ohwell321 View Post
trying to sum this up as they seem to tie everyone under one label nowadays

ok never woke up wanting a drink(couldn't think of anything worse tbh] and If was told I wasn't having a beer today I wouldn't be that bothered

however generally come 5pm I liked downing a good 4 pints and on the weekends 3 times as much

ive been this way for 2 years

thanks ohwell
Maybe your a 5-4-3-2 .... (let's not hit 1 and blastoff) drinker! If sobriety is what you seek, you're in a good place to start a new count down or up I should say. We get sobriety date and try not to change it, one day at a time.

11 is a great start = awesome job@!

While I was introspective about the who and what I was, I quickly learned from others I need to focus on the solution.

Glad you're here with us, Welcome!!!
Old 06-11-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Don't get fixated on categories.

One of the bad things about categories is that we tend to always put ourselves on a spectrum and say, "whew, there are places worse than where I'm at." Denial at its finest. I did that for a long time because I didn't drink before or at work, in the mornings, etc.

But I was still an alcoholic. I guess that's a label but it still held true. And acknowledging it was what finally got me to take action and embrace sobriety.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

+1 Dee74... and you're here asking... that's something you might want to think about.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ive noticed since stopping my anxiety and OCD have gone from a powerful 10 out of 10 to about 3 out of 10 after 12 days without the use of anti-anxiety meds

this can only be a positive thing