Notices

What If Everything Is Determined By Fate?

Old 06-10-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I thought this was a joke thread but since it's not.....The emperor is NEKKID.... FOOL!
Old 06-10-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I believe that everything happens for a reason, whether or not I know the reason, but I also believe I am responsible for the choices I make and the actions I take.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

If everything happens because it was fated to happen then what's the point of ever doing anything? Seems to me that that mindset could be a serious hindrance to living one's life.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Quantum mechanics and chaos theory show there is no such thing as predetermined fate. If it's true for the moons orbiting around Uranus, it's true for people too.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Originally Posted by Soberintexas007 View Post
What if all that we did was already predetermined, like some philosophers have already discussed? Then the decision to quit alcohol is not really as relevant, right?
I feel I need to be completely honest here, SIT. This could be an excuse to drink.

Whether or not fate is predestined, you have a choice to drink or not. For me, it comes down simply to one question: Do you want sobriety?
Old 06-10-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
skg

A Different Perspective

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations." 1 Jeremiah 1:5

“For it is written, “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.” Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. 1 Corinthians 1:19

“For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.” 1 Corinthians 1:25

“If anyone supposes that he knows anything, he has not yet known as he ought to know; but if anyone loves God, he is known by Him.” 1 Corinthians 8:2,3

“But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, was pleased to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with flesh…” Galatians 1:15

“But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.” James 3:17
Old 06-10-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sorry, I was drinking last night and trying to evade responsibility.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Pretty certain that the divine creator of the universe has better things to do taking care of the cosmos than make sure I am aware tomorrow is patty melt day at hamburger heaven!?!

Keep coming back....
Old 06-10-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Soberintexas007 View Post
Sorry, I was drinking last night and trying to evade responsibility.
Now you have a choice for today.

You don't have to drink again........it's up to you. There's help if you desire it - programs that can support us, including all our friends on SR!!

Glad you're back this afternoon
You're posts weren't nearly as bad as most of the phone messages, texts and emails I sent to people when I drank = ouch!!!

That fear of what had I done was one highly motivating factor in finding a solution.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
If it's true for the moons orbiting around Uranus
Did he just call you fat? I think he just called you fat

Jk of course. It's not the end of the world. So I guess that's a no then.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stratman1 View Post
Did he just call you fat? I think he just called you fat.
No, it's true! New Moons and Rings Found at Uranus
Old 06-10-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Now you have a choice for today.

You don't have to drink again........it's up to you. There's help if you desire it - programs that can support us, including all our friends on SR!!

Glad you're back this afternoon
You're posts weren't nearly as bad as most of the phone messages, texts and emails I sent to people when I drank = ouch!!!

That fear of what had I done was one highly motivating factor in finding a solution.
Thank you!!!
Old 06-10-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
skg

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Pretty certain that the divine creator of the universe has better things to do taking care of the cosmos than make sure I am aware tomorrow is patty melt day at hamburger heaven!?!
Keep coming back....
How would you know that?
"Aren't two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father's will." Matthew 10:29
Old 06-10-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Oh so that's what it looks like, I never knew. (https://youtu.be/SKm5xQyD2vE) Must be seeing double vision though, which doesn't surprise me as I am jacked.

As for all of that writing an stuff, hmm, sounds cool bra but it's a bit tmi for me. Sober, I'm going to say a prayer for you before bed something I have never done.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
My experience suggests to me that we have a great deal to do with how our lives play out.

I think that's a better mindset for someone in recovery to have rather than not taking any action and chalking everything up to fate?

D
5000% this
Old 06-10-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Seriously...in my last drinking days I started to be afraid that everything was outside of my control and predetermined.

Fate and Destiny scared me. The bad things in life seemed inevitable. My own destiny had a habit of being Ironic.

Stopping drinking was the first experience in a long time that made me believe destiny was 'escapable'. Then my eyes started to open wider.

It's a really interesting question. I spent much of my life trying not to be like my Dad. I didn't know him between the ages of 18 and 32. When I got back in touch sober...we sounded the same. We had had the same drinking pattern. We ended up in the same job. All unbeknownst to me.

Like I said ... it's interesting

For now...lets keep it simple. An alcoholic death is one fate it is definitely possible to escape ... if we're prepared to let go of the drink. .. at all costs.

P
Old 06-10-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Oedipus the King - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

P
Old 06-10-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
skg

What if the steps you've taken by 'choice' have all been orchestrated? What if you are designed to be loved and a piece of you to live eternally? What then? I believe we take far too much credit in this life for life....

That's my experience and I'm sticking to it. Everything else ended in terror, bewilderment, frustration and despair.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:09 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Using this idea in another way, do we live or do we just exist?

Just existing - to me - means going through life day to day accepting what happens and believing it to be what was meant to be.

Living - to me - means taking charge of your existence and influencing , making things happen.

I also believe that those with a more religious spiritual background tend to view fate as something real.
To those of us on the other side of religiosity and all that jazz, fate is just another word in the dictionary.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:49 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

God gifted us with free will. You can choose to do good or choose to do evil (or anything in between).