Notices

Resentments

Old 06-10-2015, 03:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
Not everyone is able to explain stuff well - especially to a hot-headed; resentful alcoholic in full blown wounded-pride, damaged-ego, ranting mode

Maybe she was in the middle of something or on her way out to an appointment.

If the BB says something succinctly I don't think there is an issue with someone directing another person to the page they need so that they can calm down a little and read it through later. Especially if they know that they might muddy the waters by explaining it less well.
Certain people in AA like to give the impression that if you're working your program, "as laid out in the book", you will no longer ever feel resentful, upset, depressed, or down about anything. You will be happy joyous and free. If you are not, then you must be doing something wrong. That, IMO, is a very dangerous line of BS... and a big reason why some people stay depressed, or wind up drinking again. It leads to thinking that there's something wrong with them. Especially if and when they ARE earnestly working their program.

Working a program does not mean that we're not going to ever be upset, get resentful, or have an argument with anyone. Being a spiritual person doesn't mean that we're going to walk around feeling nothing but bliss 24/7. Not to me, anyhow. It means I'm going to feel ALL my feelings, not act on them in negative or hurtful ways, accept them, learn and grow from them, and trust that my HP is doing it's job just fine. It means I'm going to be honest with myself and with others about what I'm feeling, and not try to run from them or medicate them in any way.

I understand that the BB can say things very succinctly at times, but that's just not what resonates with me. I've a feeling I'm not alone with that. I read the BB, more than a 1000 times. I much prefer when talking to people to hear THEIR real life experience. Not someone else's. That's what brings the information in the BB to life for me, when people speak the language of the heart, as Bill himself put it.

I said what I did in my initial post because I was able to relate to what countrygirl was saying. Throwing BB quotes at people in my opinion is not really being there for them. It feels as though it's coming from a judgmental, as opposed to supportive place. Especially when someone is dealing with resentment.

Again, just my experience. Yours may differ.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
~sb

My sponsor doesn't allow me to vent, it feeds my ego......

Go help someone else, get out of your own way. Resentments can kill us.

Do you want to be right or do you want to stay sober?
Old 06-10-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

*~*~*~*^Daily Reflections^*~*~*~*

IMPATIENT? TRY LEVITATING

We reacted more strongly to frustrations than normal people.
AS BILL SEES IT, p. 111

Impatience with other people is one of my principal failings. Following a slow car in a no-passing lane, or waiting in a restaurant for the check, drives me to distraction. Before I give God a chance to slow me down, I explode, and that's what I call being quicker than God. That repeated experience gave me an idea. I thought if I could look down on these events from God's point of view, I might better control my feelings and behavior. I tried it and when I encountered the next slow driver, I levitated and looked down on the other car and upon myself. I saw an elderly couple driving along, happily chatting about their grandchildren. They were followed by me--bug eyed and red of face--who had no time schedule to meet anyway. I looked so silly that I dropped back into reality and slowed down. Seeing things from God's angle of vision can be very relaxing.
Copyright 1990 ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS WORLD SERVICES, INC.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Very good words... All of you. I'm going to label this whole thread as one of my favorites. It's extremely helpful, extremely real and extremely honest.

Jennifer
Old 06-10-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi country girl... Just wanted to let u know I tried to respond to your PM, but it wouldn't go through because it says your box is full. Didn't want you to think I was ignoring you .
Old 06-10-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

JoeNerv, post #21 - awesome.

sugarbear1 - thanks for the "Try Levitating" quote - I remember reading that a year ago and I've thought about it several times since.

Being, "quicker than God," - there is that moment between reaction (internal) and action (external) - and I believe that is where God speaks.

Great thread. CG, I hope she got some better food for those ducks.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

#21 is an awesome post!
Old 06-10-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
I said what I did in my initial post because I was able to relate to what countrygirl was saying. Throwing BB quotes at people in my opinion is not really being there for them. It feels as though it's coming from a judgmental, as opposed to supportive place. Especially when someone is dealing with resentment.

Again, just my experience. Yours may differ.
Fair enough. My sponsor sometimes directs me towards things that she thinks would help me to read. I've never felt that she's doing that because she's being judgemental though - maybe she just has a good delivery.