Notices

Same old story

Old 06-09-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Same old story

Hi all.

As you can see from my join date I have no business in the Newcomers section. I was doing so well recently until this past weekend when I began drinking again. It was a dinner at a fancy restaurant that had been arranged for a while and I wanted to enjoy fancy wine to match. Of course you all know the story from there...

I think I have isolated the main trigger for me - other people and their expectations. I guess everybody in my life drinks so it gets wearying saying no all the time. My plan therefore is to tell everyone I'm stopping for 6mths (a lie) to get in shape and to start getting angry with certain people when they try to question me. I reckon I've got to fight fire with fire in that department. I find once I have a few days behind me I find being alcohol free quite easy. It's these 'occasions' that crop up that derail me totally and once I'm off track I say 'feck it' and really go for broke.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and I hope you can get back ok, so many can’t.
I had too many of those frightening moments of almost staying sober until the thousands of BUTs surfaced and being undisciplined I succumbed until it came a point of the pain being so powerful I strongly entertained the thought of ending it all.

Sobriety for me is a job I can’t forget for anything else, no matter how great it may seem. I don’t want to TRY to sober up AGAIN. EVER AGAIN.

That starts by not having that first drink, no matter what. This is what I learned and practice by still going to AA meetings after a lot of sober years. It works IF we work it.

BE WELL
Old 06-09-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So you had a glass of wine, what's the big deal? I mean, I get the idea behind "well it's ruined, why not break it", but honestly, a toast at an occasion really isn't ruining anything. Alcohol entered your system, it's not the end of the world. Just move on as if it never happened. Society is going to do this to you, there's no avoiding it.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

newatthis,

sorry to hear you had a drink. or more.
identifying triggers is useful. i think it's useful in two ways: it can point you to what you can decide to avoid if you're not prepared to deal with it, and it can show you where you need to develop skills about how to deal with it if you can't or don't want to avoid.
there will always crop up a trigger once in a while, obvious ones and sudden, unexpected ones.
but it sounds like you saw this coming from a mile away and went for it instead of taking a detour?
ultimately, triggers don't really have anything to do with the fact of drinking. they just trigger the reaction of "DRINK!". but they don't need to be acted on.

occasions and other triggers don't need to end up in derailment.

other than stopping again , what will you do differently? what can you add to what you did before? (you knew that question would come, ja? )
Old 06-09-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seemedrink View Post
So you had a glass of wine, what's the big deal? I mean, I get the idea behind "well it's ruined, why not break it", but honestly, a toast at an occasion really isn't ruining anything. Alcohol entered your system, it's not the end of the world. Just move on as if it never happened. Society is going to do this to you, there's no avoiding it.
but it did happen.
the idea of moving on as if it hadn't ...how would that possibly be helpful?
if that's the strategy, there is no reason not to pretend all kinds of stuff didn't happen...to me, sounds like a recipe for more disaster.

what a toast at an occasion is for an alcoholic who's trying to stay stopped is a return to something they weren't going to return to. what a toast ruins is continuous sobriety. it ruins the same thing getting drunk ruins.

it also provides an opportunity to reflect on what was missing/not working well in the preceding abstinence which made it such that the return to drink could happen in the first place.
if NAT were to pretend it never happened, that opportunity would be missed.

this is why to me any return to drink is a big deal.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post

but it sounds like you saw this coming from a mile away and went for it instead of taking a detour?
Yes exactly, this is the nub of the problem. Of late I had been saying that I was off the drink for a while but everyone expected me to resume after the specified time was over. It's weird, it's almost like I was dreading having to resume but felt I had no choice or whatever. Of course this is all in my own head.

TBH I don't even enjoy it anymore, I much prefer being alcohol free. I don't really know what my plan is except avoid certain situations for a while. For example there is a big weekend happening soon and I may tell our friends that I'm not up to hosting a bunch of drunks in my house right now. If I don't then I can see a repeat of this past weekend occurring.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Re-reading my post I sound so f**king helpless, as if anyone is forcing it down my neck.

I think part of what will be my plan is to say that "I'm not drinking for 6 mths for health reasons", and use that time as a breathing space from questions etc and then when I'm 6 mths down the road surely people will (a) have lost interest or (b) got used to this new me and then I can just continue in abstinence, citing my improved life/body/mental health etc
Old 06-09-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Having a reason not to drink , such as the weight lost , really helps me.
the last time I said no I told my friends that I wanTed to be able to take a yoga class In the morning
I was waiting for the "whomcares, drink with us instead! " typical argument
but In stead my friends said good for you! I should do that more often!
It was a nice surprise.
either way it's aboUT being sure of myself and standing my ground
Old 06-09-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sometimes, I think we can be too hard on ourselves. You knew the event you were going to would supply alcohol? You knew. You thought about it in advanced? You can't undo what is done. You can just make a better decision the next day. Best of luck.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Newatthis34 View Post
I think part of what will be my plan is to say that "I'm not drinking for 6 mths for health reasons", and use that time as a breathing space from questions etc and then when I'm 6 mths down the road surely people will (a) have lost interest or (b) got used to this new me and then I can just continue in abstinence, citing my improved life/body/mental health etc
IMHO you cannot worry about what other people think about your drinking. And honestly most people really don't care. Our addiction makes us THINK That other people care whether we are drinking or not - mostly just to try to keep us drinking. The only exception to this would obviously be drinking buddies...but then again those really aren't the poeple we should be hanging out with anymore to be honest. Getting sober is about change - and some of the change will not be pleasant initially. It can mean changing where you spend your time and who you spend it with. Simply "not drinking" and keeping the same lifestyle as before generally leads to failure.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Newatthis34 View Post
I think I have isolated the main trigger for me - other people and their expectations.
As you said in your post, you're no newcomer. So I'll be blunt. Do your really think your struggle for these many years has been the expectation that other people have that you drink? You drink because of peer pressure?

My doubting it doesn't make it untrue. But I've found my own problems with alcohol and substance abuse to be a bit more complex...requiring a recovery plan to match said complexity.

You might expand your recovery plan to encompass the other possible reasons you drink and include a process for embracing the sober life.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
but it did happen.
the idea of moving on as if it hadn't ...how would that possibly be helpful?
if that's the strategy, there is no reason not to pretend all kinds of stuff didn't happen...to me, sounds like a recipe for more disaster.

what a toast at an occasion is for an alcoholic who's trying to stay stopped is a return to something they weren't going to return to. what a toast ruins is continuous sobriety. it ruins the same thing getting drunk ruins.

it also provides an opportunity to reflect on what was missing/not working well in the preceding abstinence which made it such that the return to drink could happen in the first place.
if NAT were to pretend it never happened, that opportunity would be missed.

this is why to me any return to drink is a big deal.
This sounds like borerline OCD to me. Nobody is perfect. When you screw up on a diet you don't just throw your hands in the air and go eat an entire cake. It's really not a big deal, just move on. Nothing is ruined because a liquid touched your lips. Now if he went and got smashed, fine, I understand that. Toasting, however, is a social thing that really can't be avoided in many situations. Spit it back in the glass if it's really that big of a deal.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nat,

i've been sober quite a few years, and i wouldn't be "up to" hosting a bunch of drunks in my home. good heavens no. my home is my space, cozy and safe. why would i want a bunch of drunks carousing here?

anyway, to me, you don't sound helpless. just unsure

and it sounds, too, like you did a limited time thing this time around ( but everyone expected me to resume after the specified time was over.) , so i'm not seeing that setting another time frame will be useful if it didn't "work" this time around.
you might need to consider some more fundamental changes.

other than using SR, is there support for you in real life? it sounds like many of your friendships include drinking a lot? are there people you can get involved with to do sober activities?
Old 06-09-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This sounds like borerline OCD to me. Nobody is perfect. When you screw up on a diet you don't just throw your hands in the air and go eat an entire cake. It's really not a big deal, just move on. Nothing is ruined because a liquid touched your lips. Now if he went and got smashed, fine, I understand that. Toasting, however, is a social thing that really can't be avoided in many situations. Spit it back in the glass if it's really that big of a deal.
yep, for sure i'm ocd about keeping sobriety ticking along uninterrupted. no wiggle room there for me.
thanks for the free diagnosis, seemedrink
ah. hm. see you drink. unavoidable toasts.
hm.
i'm finding no need to spit anything into a glass as it's real easy to avoid having the stuff go in my mouth.

comparing "screwing up" on a diet with drinking again is faulty: no need to ever drink again or have a relationship with alcohol, whereas we do all need to eat and cannot simply avoid the substance.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

So you had a glass of wine, what's the big deal? I mean, I get the idea behind "well it's ruined, why not break it", but honestly, a toast at an occasion really isn't ruining anything.
One toast would ruin it for me, though.

I know this because one toast did exactly that a few years back. One 'night off' from recovery led to me drinking full on for the next two and a half years.

Once I drink, everything changes.

I am addicted to the stuff., I am an alcohol junkie. No offense but telling me one toast is not going to ruin anything is like telling me one shot of heroin will be ok too - y'know?

Alcohol entered your system, it's not the end of the world. Just move on as if it never happened. Society is going to do this to you, there's no avoiding it
Actually you can avoid it, at least in the early recovery period. I did. I didn't go anywhere where I knew I might be tempted.

It wasn't easy, but I'm glad I did it -= it was a great foundation for my recovery...and when I did rejoin society it was when I knew I preferred being sober and nothing would sway me.

When you screw up on a diet you don't just throw your hands in the air and go eat an entire cake.
um...you'll probably hear from some folks who do exactly that.

Toasting, however, is a social thing that really can't be avoided in many situations. Spit it back in the glass if it's really that big of a deal.
I toast with soft drink, water or an empty glass.
D
Old 06-09-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi New

I think to get away from the 'same old story' we need to do different things.

This link is a good one for making up a recovery plan that suits you. Check it out

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf