Notices

One week In... Naltrexone

Old 06-08-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One week In... Naltrexone

Hello All,

I am going to try to keep this as short as possible. I am 29 years old and I have been binge drinking since I was 16. There have been a few periods in my life when I drank everyday but I was able to cut back without medical problems. When I drink, subconsciously I drink to pass/black out.
There are occasions when I can have a beer or 2 and walk away but it always leads to thinking I can still handle the whiskey later and once I start drinking whiskey usually one of 2 things have to happen for me to stop. Either I run out and no liquor stores are open or I pass out. (Usually pass out) When I say pass out I mean a tornado could rip through the room and I probably would not wake up. I have tried to quit drinking a few times over these 13 years. My longest period of total not drinking was 90 days which convinced me I could go back to drinking. I have tried AA and antabuse. AA works well enough but all the talking about drinking (even the negative aspects) would make me want to drink. With antabuse if the cravings got bad enough I would stop taking for 4 days and test the water with a beer. If I didnt get sick then the flood gates would open and I could go get the whiskey again. This time I am truly fed up with the chaos that alcohol produces and I am serious about staying away from alcohol. After much research, I asked my doctor to let me try naltrexone. I have been taking it for 4 days now. It seems to be making me think about alcohol less and crave it less. Does anyone here have experience using naltrexone to aid in stopping drinking?
Old 06-08-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I do not have experience with naltrexone, but I applaud your decision to seek help and make a serious effort to get sober. There is a lot of support here on SR, hope you can stick around and join us.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Clay,
Great decision to seek help, keep it up. I have been on Naltrexone for about 3 weeks now. I tried Campral and it did nothing. I kind of forgot that Naltrexone was out there or I would have tried it sooner. Let me tell you, it has made all the difference in the world! My cravings are all but gone( about 80% less) and I feel very positive. I believe this drug was what I have been searching for. This along with my support group should make recovery a lot more pleasant. Best Wishes...keep taking that miracle pill.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey claydoh congratulations on starting the naltrexone
If aa meetings aren't your thing have you considered looking Into another program for support? Support from others helped me a lot in early sobriety
Old 06-08-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by greens View Post
Hey claydoh congratulations on starting the naltrexone
If aa meetings aren't your thing have you considered looking Into another program for support? Support from others helped me a lot in early sobriety
I am sticking my toes in the water here before jumping back into a support group. I am going to be trying Celebrate Recovery (Christian based) some. That is a once a week thing. I will probably try AA again soon. My sobriety is important to me but I cannot do 90 in 90 right now. Between work and a 1 year old son I barely have time to breathe most days. That is why I am reaching out on here hopefully to get involved a bit here while I am at work during down time. Thanks for the welcome!
Old 06-08-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BBQBOY View Post
Hi Clay,
Great decision to seek help, keep it up. I have been on Naltrexone for about 3 weeks now. I tried Campral and it did nothing. I kind of forgot that Naltrexone was out there or I would have tried it sooner. Let me tell you, it has made all the difference in the world! My cravings are all but gone( about 80% less) and I feel very positive. I believe this drug was what I have been searching for. This along with my support group should make recovery a lot more pleasant. Best Wishes...keep taking that miracle pill.
Have you ever read about the Sinclair Method? Basically it says that naltrexone does not really work unless you "retrain" your brain by drinking while taking it. Then when you drink the naltrexone will block the endorphins released by the alcohol from reaching the brain and you will not get the high that we all crave from booze. The author claims that taking it while not drinking will not do any good. Now I know it sounds like I am trying to find an excuse to drink. Believe me, I'm not. I have plenty excuses to drink just none of them are worth it! I am just hoping to find people like me that are taking it without drinking and are having success. It sounds like you are and that makes me happy. It sounds like you may be young in your sobriety like myself. I would love to hear the experiences of anyone that is taking or has taken it. Thanks for your reply!
Old 06-08-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

There is no requirement in AA to do "90 in 90." Nor is it mentioned in the AA Big Book. In fact, the Big Book says nothing about attending meetings in order to get sober. It also doesn't say anything about how to stop drinking.

The critical recommendation in AA literature is to work the AA Big Book Twelve Steps as a means to living a better, sober life.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
There is no requirement in AA to do "90 in 90." Nor is it mentioned in the AA Big Book. In fact, the Big Book says nothing about attending meetings in order to get sober. It also doesn't say anything about how to stop drinking.

The critical recommendation in AA literature is to work the AA Big Book Twelve Steps as a means to living a better, sober life.
It just feels like there is always a pressure on me to do the 90 in 90 every time I come back in after "going out". I know it is not required but I feel like I am not doing it right. My problem with AA or at least in my area is that 90% of the group is double my age and while they have the wisdom that I crave we can't relate on much other than drinking. I know I am nitpicking and I try not to. I just would never be able to stick to the AA groups in my area. After about 2 weeks it just felt like the same people telling the same stories. It would help me stay sober some days but some times it would make me want to go drink so I would have an excuse not to go back. No offense to anyone that likes AA or finds it helpful. Just my experience.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Clay, Yes, I've researched the Sinclair Method, but it was not for me. Most recovery programs dismiss the Sinclair Method because it doesn't support total abstinence. I have been in "recovery" for 10 years after 30 yrs of hard drinking. I've relapsed more times than I can count. Naltrexone has been proven to reduce cravings and urges w/out using the Sinclair Method. Also if I slip and drink the "reward" center in my brain will be cut-off by the Naltrexone, and the relapse will be short lived. Like I stated before, I've been at this for awhile now and the Naltrexone has me feeling more positive about my future. This med. is not the total answer....I still have to use my support group in conjunction with this for my best chance at long term recovery!
Old 06-08-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am taking the vivitrol shot once a month. It is the same as the naltrexone only I don't have to remember to take a daily pill. Also takes away any thoughts of skipping my pill so I can drink. I have taken 2 shots so far and it has really helped me not to drink.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BBQBOY View Post
Clay, Yes, I've researched the Sinclair Method, but it was not for me. Most recovery programs dismiss the Sinclair Method because it doesn't support total abstinence. I have been in "recovery" for 10 years after 30 yrs of hard drinking. I've relapsed more times than I can count. Naltrexone has been proven to reduce cravings and urges w/out using the Sinclair Method. Also if I slip and drink the "reward" center in my brain will be cut-off by the Naltrexone, and the relapse will be short lived. Like I stated before, I've been at this for awhile now and the Naltrexone has me feeling more positive about my future. This med. is not the total answer....I still have to use my support group in conjunction with this for my best chance at long term recovery!
AWESOME! Thanks for your feedback. Like you I do not want to drink with the naltrexone either. The Sinclair Method book just makes it sound like you are wasting your time if you do not drink while taking it. I am glad to hear from someone that is doing what I am doing and having success. I plan on getting support. I think I may go the one on one therapy route for now.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
I am taking the vivitrol shot once a month. It is the same as the naltrexone only I don't have to remember to take a daily pill. Also takes away any thoughts of skipping my pill so I can drink. I have taken 2 shots so far and it has really helped me not to drink.
I am going to do the vivitrol as well if my insurance covers it. Otherwise, that stuff is STEEP in price. I am waiting to hear back on it. Meanwhile I am on the pill which is only $15 for a month supply. I am hoping I can get the shot though.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by claydoh86 View Post
Have you ever read about the Sinclair Method? Basically it says that naltrexone does not really work unless you "retrain" your brain by drinking while taking it. Then when you drink the naltrexone will block the endorphins released by the alcohol from reaching the brain and you will not get the high that we all crave from booze. The author claims that taking it while not drinking will not do any good. Now I know it sounds like I am trying to find an excuse to drink. Believe me, I'm not. I have plenty excuses to drink just none of them are worth it! I am just hoping to find people like me that are taking it without drinking and are having success. It sounds like you are and that makes me happy. It sounds like you may be young in your sobriety like myself. I would love to hear the experiences of anyone that is taking or has taken it. Thanks for your reply!

Yea the Sinclair Method---sounds like a real plan. Wonder how he ever got that published. I am sure Mr. Sinclair drinks to that theory every night .LOL!
The things they come up with--Geez!
Old 06-08-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by claydoh86 View Post
It just feels like there is always a pressure on me to do the 90 in 90 every time I come back in after "going out". I know it is not required but I feel like I am not doing it right. My problem with AA or at least in my area is that 90% of the group is double my age and while they have the wisdom that I crave we can't relate on much other than drinking. I know I am nitpicking and I try not to. I just would never be able to stick to the AA groups in my area. After about 2 weeks it just felt like the same people telling the same stories. It would help me stay sober some days but some times it would make me want to go drink so I would have an excuse not to go back. No offense to anyone that likes AA or finds it helpful. Just my experience.
.....and AA is not for everyone. I never used it after I went a few times. I too could not relate to the group. Do it your way--whatever that is--as long as you DO IT! How I got sober never concerned me---getting there did!
Old 06-08-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

claydhoh86
I totally repeat ScottFrom Wi's sentiments and wish you all the luck in the world. Takes a lot of courage just to admit to yourself there's a problem