Notices

Nervous about having weekend off

Old 06-05-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nervous about having weekend off

Just wanted to get some suggestions and encouragement for staying sober when I am off work for the weekend. I am on my fifth day and my real test is this weekend. My normal pattern os stau drunk entire weekend and when monday roll around I am disappointed in myself because I didnt get anything accomplished. I will keep that thought in my head and I do.have some things planned that don't involve drinking. Wish me luck and thank you. This site has helped tremendously.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi dawn. Having a plan for the weekend is key, idle time can be very tough to deal with, especially this early in sobriety. Obviously avoid activities or places that have alcohol readily available ( bars, parties, etc ) and get rid of any alcohol you have at home.

SR is always "on" too..so you can always come here, day or night, for support if you need it.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dawn! First off, congrats! I am just over a month sober! I was a bit worried about the first weekend too, because I'm off on weekends and ALL I knew was drinking ALL weekend! I have to say, because I "wanted" to quit, it was much easier than I thought it would be! You'll be fine!! *hugs*
Old 06-05-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you on your 5th day!! My doc is not alcohol but pills and I'm tapering off but the days off and idle time thing is what I'm really struggling with right now!!

I cope much better the busier I am!!

Good job on 5 days!!!!
Old 06-05-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi Dawn,

good for you to be looking for suggestions. getting away from "the usual" takes a bit of doing. here's an entire thread about things to do if you run out of ideas.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 06-05-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Smile Thank you!

Originally Posted by fini View Post
hi Dawn,

good for you to be looking for suggestions. getting away from "the usual" takes a bit of doing. here's an entire thread about things to do if you run out of ideas.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Thanks so much! That was QUITE the list!! I'm going on just over a month and speaking of a couple of things on that list, I think I'm making a BOMB meal this weekend! It's not new, but it's been forever and FOUR evers since I've made it!
Chicken breasts, breaded/seasoned, then you sear them on the stove for like 5min. on each side to get that nice color/crunch. Then! Into the oven they go to finish off cooking. Meanwhile, I do a sage-butter sauce, but this time I'll have to find something to substitute the white wine.. then you do chicken stock, heavy cream, fresh sage, parsley, butter and salt/pepper! MY OH MY!! Believe it or not, I get instant rice singles that you can throw in the microwave (you won't even know the difference)! Then I do my carrots with fresh dill! HOLY MOLY my mouth is watering! BAM!! Plate it!! Chicken out of the oven and onto the plate... rice down.. carrots down.. pour sauce on the chicken and rice and you are READY to eat!!! This is probably my favorite home cooked meal!! I love to cook!!! It relaxes me and DUH, I never make a bad meal!
Sorry for this bible of a message! I HAD to write this recipe down! HAHA!
Old 06-05-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Having big stretches of time on the weekend was so hard at first. I spent my weekends drunk. It really helped me to have plans and support lined up. Then back up plans to the plans just in case. I came on here a lot and found a weekenders support thread on the newcomers forum. It's going on now as I type. People sharing all the things they can do sober. Join us if you'd like
Old 06-05-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Weekends were certainly tough for quite some time. However, I found that it was best for me in early sobriety to take it easy on myself. I know that an idle mind can be dangerous but I think that I desperately needed the calm after the storm that I had put myself through.

For the first couple of months, I spent a lot of time on weekends doing puzzles, resting, and just generally trying to recoup from years of killing myself. I hope that you can find some things to keep your mind clear and promote healing. You need and deserve this. Do whatever it takes to stay sober.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Last weekend was my first sober weekend since January (I was not aware of this site until last week). I spent A LOT of time on this site last weekend........ Just relaxing and healing - and reading encouraging stories of recovery.

Also, reading books and any literature you can get your hands on about recovery, courage, hope & strength.

Wishing you a sober, healthy and relaxing weekend!!!
Old 06-05-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

if it where me I'd try and stay occupied idle hands are the devils playground. I'd try and avoid places that i could easily get booze. I'd probably try and make my routine as different as possible or just try and remain as calm and relaxed as possible by keeping an easy lazy weekend at home or something.

BUT pulling through just one weekend and remaining sober is probably enough to break that cycle and encourage you just enough that the next time it will not be as difficult. So its all the more important that you get this first win.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Finding things to do is a great help - but I think working on a specific recovery plan is good too Dawn

there's a great outline here:
https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf

D