Notices

A bit sad

Old 06-02-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A bit sad

I got a text from an old drinking friend today. We use to talk about how we needed to cut down while I was still drinking and hung out several times in my first couple months of sobriety. He seemed genuinely interested in how and what I was doing. I thought(hopped) for a while that he would be quitting shortly after me.

He asked me what my symptoms were when I knew I had to quit. I got excited because it almost read like a "newcomers" post. We text for a bit and I decided to call. I told him what my symptoms were and he told me what he was going through...but...and the reasoning behind why they weren't alcohol related started. How he had just had a bad binge over the weekend. We talked about detoxing and doctors and he said he was detoxing but had a few beers at lunch because work was stressful. How he didn't want to go to the Dr. today because his liver enzymes would probably be high because he drank so much this weekend. It made me really sad to be honest.

I know I can't show anyone who is still drinking how much alcohol affects your entire life. I know that most dip their toes into the idea of sobriety before taking the plunge. I know most don't detox as hard as I did. I know all I can do is be there for him should he ever decide to sober up. I know I most likely would have done the same thing.

I know, I know, I know.

However, it was disheartening to have someone I care about, even if we really haven't kept in touch, reach out and quickly pull back into justifying drinking.

Not really a point to this post. It just makes me sad to know what he is going through and how much better he could feel. I am really glad I found SR and have some positive posts to read.

Since I am already whining, It's grey, cold and rainy today.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been on both sides of that coin. I was so bad 9 years ago I turned jaundiced.

I quit. My drinking friends wanted my sobriety so I helped them get sober. I stayed sober for 6 years and recent events have me drinking again. I've been at it about 6 months again. My friend John who I helped came over and seen me wasted. He got tears in his eyes and so did i.

I have to quit.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is tough to watch people we care about still in that trap Axiom.

The thing is, you never know when something you might have said or done may spark a positive reaction in your friend.

I hope he'll choose to follow your example soon
Old 06-03-2015, 06:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just had a similar experience on Sunday. An old date of mine showed up unannounced and totally loaded which is why he probably thought it was a good idea. He was in really bad shape, I was honestly shocked. I've had him on my mind ever since. He clearly needs help. So sad what alcoholism does to peoples lives and spirits.

On a side note I was talking to a friend of mine from when I was a teenager. My family basically took him in for a few years because he had some problems at home. He ended up drinking alcoholically for as long as I've been but he got sober 7 months ago! I'd had no idea.... we live far apart and don't talk often anymore. I was so impressed and happy for him! He sounded so calm and happy. He has always been inspirational to me. He really didn't have the same chance in life that many of us do and yet despite that he's always kept trying and been successful. I'm really proud of him