Notices

rip charles kennedy

Old 06-02-2015, 12:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

rip charles kennedy

Charles kennedy used to be the lib dem leadr but had to step down a few years ago due to his out of control drinking. He lost his seat in uk as an member of parlament last month. Sadly he has died. I didnt like his politics but he was only 55. Rip. Such a shame as he had a young child
Old 06-02-2015, 01:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

That's awful boris. Sad to see a promising talented person go down to drinking. It happened to a local politician here, considered talented, but just couldn't control the drinking. He had to resign, but is still with us.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

More details from the Express:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/politi...s-Fort-William

FORMER Liberal Democrat leader Charles Kennedy has died at the age of 55 in what his close friends are saying was an "inevitable" tragedy after years of alcoholism.

The Scottish ex-MP's death was not believed to be suspicious and the cause of death has yet to be confirmed.

Mr Kennedy lost his seat in the Ross, Skye and Lochaber constituency to the SNP's Ian Blackford in last month's general election.

He resigned as party leader in 2006 – two days after admitting he had a drinking problem.

Outspoken former Lib Dem MP Lembit Opik said Mr Kennedy's death was "inevitable" but that his "heart was too big for this world".

He said that the ex-leader "couldn't properly cope without institutional support" after years of struggling with alcoholism.

Mr Opik added: "I bet you he spent a lot of time alone, I bet you he spent a lot of time drinking.

"It was too late to save him. Last night in parliament I was talking to various people. They knew that Charles Kennedy was in trouble.

"It's too late now. There was no support for him in his last days. We have lost the most successful leader the Liberal Democrats has had in the party's history."
Sounds pretty extreme

P