Notices

anxiety out of nowhere

Old 06-01-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
zjw

anxiety out of nowhere

I have bad anxiety all the time really its like this underlying tone in me thats just always there. But its gotten somewhat better but once in a while i'll go from a somewhat normal state to really high anxiety out of nowhere for no reason at all.

last night this happened and its a good example of what happens. I was sitting around fine but i could feel it getting worse and worse. Next i was having what i'd call an anxiety attack and I'd say its different then a panic attack. as a result iw as short with everyone in my house every little thing ticked me off and I couldnt control it at all. All i wanted to do was go to a dark room and sit alone to calm myself down but I couldnt as i have responsiblities.

Best I can figure is maybe on some kinda subconcious level my mind was anxious about having to work today its not uncommon for my anxiety to be worse on a sunday night just because I start to dread going to work on monday.

But the uncontroallable aspects of it concern me. I cant help but wonder sometimes if there is something deeper going on or something.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't have experience with anxiety like you are describing so I'm not sure if this is a good suggestion..... but do you exercise? Maybe it would help? Get some of that nervous energy out?
Old 06-01-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah i exercise it helps a lot but i still have my struggles. last night was a good example of it going too far and for seemingly no good reason. lots of times i'm just fighting it or working my routine to keep myself in balance.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like irritability and just being overwhelmed.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have you tried guided meditations to help you calm down? You can find tons of them on youtube.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
Have you tried guided meditations to help you calm down? You can find tons of them on youtube.
yeah that sort of thing is all part of my usual routine. Probably spend a lot more time then one should just trying to remain calm. IE it interferes with my work and life as I frequently have to stop and calm myself. That concerns me but i'm accepting of the fact that thats just how it is for me i suppose.

Last night was one of those types of situations however where I had nowhere to run i had to make due. eventaully i ran off to bed to lay down and in about 30 min or so i was calmer.

Just seems abnormal to me one should have to go through all of this all the time on such a regular basis.

I dont mind doing what i gotta do to manage it all but it does interfere with my life etc..

Sometimes you just wish you could be healed , ya know
Old 06-01-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Medication?
Old 06-01-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Poor thing, my sister suffers from terrible anxiety and panic attacks and I always wish that there was more that I could do to help her. I tend to have some anxiety issues as well but they are certainly not debilitating by any means... thankfully. My heart goes out to you though because I know those are tough.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Have you looked into medication like ArtFriend suggested? Sounds like a good idea if it's affecting your life as much as it is? It sounds very unpleasant. Sorry you are having to live with it.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah i'm terrified i'll get dependant on meds like i was booze etc.. I dont want to live my life having to take meds the rest of my days.

I feel like if i did meds i'd be trading problems for problems.

Dont get me wrong the idea of getting relief is enticing. I just keep doing what i'm doing and hope i can hold down employment. I do worry my luck will run out sooner or later at which time I'll hopefully find a more manageable job and till then I still look too etc..
Old 06-01-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

I'm mainly raising the subject just curiousity if anyones found any great solutions or oh yeah i' know that feeling! sorta thing. Or if someone might say hey look you might wanna get that checked out my friend had such and such and you just never know etc..

looking for ideas i guess.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are doing everything right, Z. I have to say, if I had a job I didn't like and six kids - I'd have a lot of anxiety too. I have had to purposely make my life as stress free as possible and I still have times where I feel anxious.

Good part is, it always passes. Usually quicker if I stop and do 50 jumping jacks, or pushups, or toe-touches, or run up and down the stairs. You're really fit, how about a jump rope for some two minute therapy? It works. I cannot allow myself to think about it either, that makes it eleventy seven times worse.

I think there is a biological factor, but also a psychological one.

Some meds are not addictive. I don't take any because I've never met a pharmaceutical I liked - ever , but there may be something you could try - I would stay away from the benzodiazapems, only because they can be addictive. I've always found the side effects were not worth the benefits, but lots of people (addicts too) get a lot of relief from meds, Z.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I know the feeling exactly ZJW. I am diagnosed with anxiety and borderline OCD and my anxiety tends to go in waves as well. I'll be mostly fine for several days, sometimes weeks and then all of a sudden it just sneaks back in out of nowhere. I have been trying meditation and mindfulness and while it does help sometimes I also just have to stop everyting and calm myself down. A walk or removing myself from stressful situations does help. I'm also not taking any meds due to fear of side effects/addictive past/etc. I've only been doing counseling for about 6 weeks and that seems to be helping to.

So while I don't have a foolproof fix, I know what you are feeling. And i always try to remember that no matter how bad it gests, it always gets better eventually.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
You are doing everything right, Z. I have to say, if I had a job I didn't like and six kids - I'd have a lot of anxiety too. I have had to purposely make my life as stress free as possible and I still have times where I feel anxious.

Good part is, it always passes. Usually quicker if I stop and do 50 jumping jacks, or pushups, or toe-touches, or run up and down the stairs. You're really fit, how about a jump rope for some two minute therapy? It works. I cannot allow myself to think about it either, that makes it eleventy seven times worse.

I think there is a biological factor, but also a psychological one.

Some meds are not addictive. I don't take any because I've never met a pharmaceutical I liked - ever , but there may be something you could try - I would stay away from the benzodiazapems, only because they can be addictive. I've always found the side effects were not worth the benefits, but lots of people (addicts too) get a lot of relief from meds, Z.
ya know i oddly cant jump rope i wish i could but i'm just not that coordinated i guess. never could do it.

yeah all day long i do sittups pushups. I keep my treadmill in my office and if i get flustered i'll jump on and crank otu a few miles

I know what you mean by keeping life as simple as possible thats what i try to do.

Yeah all the jobs i wanna do dont pay anything its really a stinky position to be in. People will ask well what do you wanna do with your life instead of programming and I'll reply I dunno farm, work in a gas station, bag groceries, work for nothing on a mission. Then I promplty get laughed at and told I need to grow up and handle my responablities etc.. Or reminded that those paths wont pay squat and i'll be in financial trouble.

My wife and I went through a list of possible jobs i could do with no carreer that pay more money. There was only a couple choices in the end that seemed like they might be easier to get into.

One was a realtor I suppose i could do that. I'm not super eager but hey whatever right. The other was a park ranger sounds feesable and I think i might actually really enjoy that. So i'm going to ponder these options some more.

Sounds like my anxiety issues are normal for someone who has anxiety issues there just compounded by wife and kids job etc..

I like to think life wasnt suppost to be this hard and that our society has simply added in too many extra complexities that drive us all nuts more then help!
Old 06-01-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was a Realtor. If you are a go-getter and if you have six months' living expenses in savings, that is a fun job. It does require some schooling, but you can do that at night. It is super stressful, though. It is entirely commissioned - meaning you don't get paid unless a sale closes. It's a really emotional business, too. Lots of sales are happening due to loss of job, divorce, death, addiction. The worst part is getting started, though. Do you live in a big city area? Do you have a lot of contacts? Real estate sales requires a lot of schmoozing, networking, socializing etc. in order to gain leads. You can also start out doing it on nights and weekends until you get rolling - and keep your regular job. A lot of people break in that way.

I happen to be friends with a park ranger He has the best job ever. He doesn't make very much money, and every time they have a position open they get hundreds of applications. He does live on site and I'm sure has good medical and (State) retirement benefits. I would love that job! Good luck to you!
Old 06-01-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I was a Realtor. If you are a go-getter and if you have six months' living expenses in savings, that is a fun job. It does require some schooling, but you can do that at night. It is super stressful, though. It is entirely commissioned - meaning you don't get paid unless a sale closes. It's a really emotional business, too. Lots of sales are happening due to loss of job, divorce, death, addiction. The worst part is getting started, though. Do you live in a big city area? Do you have a lot of contacts? Real estate sales requires a lot of schmoozing, networking, socializing etc. in order to gain leads. You can also start out doing it on nights and weekends until you get rolling - and keep your regular job. A lot of people break in that way.

I happen to be friends with a park ranger He has the best job ever. He doesn't make very much money, and every time they have a position open they get hundreds of applications. I would love that job! Good luck to you!
thats what i worry about with real estate is the socializing and networking aspect forget it hands down i'm absolutly NOT that person. I despise that sort of activity and when i try at it i'm not very good at it.

Sounds like I might starve if i go into real estate. Where i live is not a really populated area either.

Yeah thats one thing that concerns me about the park ranger job is there could be IONS of applicants and we only have a few parks near by so getting my foot in the door there could be really tough.

I'm not too sure what the pay is like i've read varying things on the park ranger.

its the real kicker for me is income. I cant seem to find squat that will pay me much.

Now the other option I have is to lower my monthly overhead this would involve selling my house and moving to something smaller. Its an incredibly daunting task with my family size and also is not a quick solution.

I got ideas I just hope something pans out for me before the decision is made for me.

My wife is going to start something up herslef but she has to finish the education aspect and she wont be done that till november and even then the income may not be much but it'll be something i hope!
Old 06-01-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

What we eat and drink has a whole lot to do with how we feel. I don't know how you eat, but I see people often who drink coffee and soda all day long, have donuts for breakfast, processed foods and McDonald's the rest of the day... yet never realize the connection between what they're eating, and their moods. Also, processed sugar causes mood swings, anxiety, panic attacks, depression, and a bunch of other things. It was essential for me to change my eating habits to recover from my panic, anxiety, and depression issues. You might also be eating certain foods that you're sensitive to. I'd suggest giving your diet some serious thought before experimenting with any meds.

Deep breathing exercises also helped me a lot. And not only the foxhole type, when anxiety already hit. I was taught to do them daily, like any other exercise routine as it retrains the body when done regularly. Was told that if I did physical exercise only when I had to do something that required strength, that wouldn't help a whole lot. Same with the breathing. It definitely helps in a pinch, but doing it as part of a daily routine helps to keep us from ever getting to that "pinch" point.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
What we eat and drink has a whole lot to do with how we feel. I don't know how you eat, but I see people often who drink coffee and soda all day long, have donuts for breakfast, processed foods and McDonald's the rest of the day... yet never realize the connection between what they're eating, and their moods. Also, processed sugar causes mood swings, anxiety, panic attacks, depression, and a bunch of other things. It was essential for me to change my eating habits to recover from my panic, anxiety, and depression issues. You might also be eating certain foods that you're sensitive to. I'd suggest giving your diet some serious thought before experimenting with any meds.

Deep breathing exercises also helped me a lot. And not only the foxhole type, when anxiety already hit. I was taught to do them daily, like any other exercise routine as it retrains the body when done regularly. Was told that if I did physical exercise only when I had to do something that required strength, that wouldn't help a whole lot. Same with the breathing. It definitely helps in a pinch, but doing it as part of a daily routine helps to keep us from ever getting to that "pinch" point.
I eat a pretty clean vegan diet. I cant do much more there. after much trial and error i've settled into the fact that im at my best when i remain on a high carbohydrate vegan diet.

I've really racked my brain over the years tyring to make sure i'm covering all my bases to have the best existence / easiest go of it.

maybe this is just as good as it gets. Clearly for now it is.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Real Estate just requires contacts and a good working knowledge of the area and properties. You don't have to be Mr. Outgoing Salesman - but you have to have some method of coming up with clients on your own - and that could be by cold calling, joining civic organizations, your kids' friends' parents, family, church, whatever. It's 90% of the job - finding clients. They don't just walk into the office, usually

I think it is a great part-time opportunity. It's something that you and your wife could both do - she could make calls and you could follow up. It just means you need to be self-motivating and driven for the first couple years. You can keep a regular job while building your business.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah bimini it was something I was thinking we could both do. shes taken a different path but I think she'd certainly still help out. she could do the social aspect i could handle the business aspect! I guess i shouldnt totally discount the idea.

I'm also tossing around getting a rental property but i'm on the fence how wise of a choice that is. It might take a number of little things to add up into a full income for me which is fine the various different things would keep me entertained.