Notices

Sunday and I can see straight !

Old 05-31-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sunday and I can see straight !

After many years of sobriety, this I still think to be amazing !

To have a clear mind on a Sunday afternoon.

For in the old days, I would be seeing double about now.

How about you ?

Mountainmanbob
Old 05-31-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, it is a blessing to never have to go thru the horrific feelings of alcohol withdrawal ever again. I'm happy those days are just another page in the history books!!
Old 05-31-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In the past.....and there to stay!!!
Old 05-31-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Me, too, MMB!

I remember hating Sunday afternoons/nights because it meant that the "party" was coming to an end (never mind that the "party" consisted of me polishing off a ridiculous amount of beer while cleaning the house and watching reality TV). By 7 o'clock, I would often start attempting to calculate how many more I could drink and still be sober upon waking the next morning. Needless to say, Mondays were often unpleasant.

Yes--love, love, love my Sundays now! Hoping all of my SR friends are enjoying the day and getting ready for a terrific week!

Thanks for the reminder!
Old 05-31-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is kind of crazy if you think about it, you can go thru the living hell of full blown withdrawal then turn around and do the same thing all over again. I never really fully understood how I could have fallen into the same trap so many times.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's so much better in every way.

Great post MM. Thanks for helping me stay sober today
Old 05-31-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sometimes, I'll get up in the morning and realize my hands aren't shaking. Ran some errands today and ended up have conversations with a few people. As I'm talking to them, I'm thinking, "wow, this is different". Felt good and strange at the same time. John
Old 05-31-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
It is kind of crazy if you think about it, you can go thru the living hell of full blown withdrawal then turn around and do the same thing all over again. I never really fully understood how I could have fallen into the same trap so many times.
Reminds me of a time that I was released from a 5 day detox. All the time spent in there I thought to myself that I would never drink again. Yet, on the day of my release when I got home within an hour I had a beer in my hand. Insanity, and then another beer with a few Valium. Thinking to myself, yes it will be different this time.

Let's see here
Locked down in detox on a Sunday afternoon
or
sitting here sober while Mountainlady cooks dinner
sure smells good and I can see straight too.

Mountainmanbob
Old 05-31-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Sunday night carrying Christmas ornaments down stairs. Drunk and fell down the stairs. Good news didn't break the ornaments. Bad news my foot wasn't so lucky.

At the ER the nurse asking my wife if she knew I had been drinking.

So glad the madness is over
Old 05-31-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I first quit drinking,I couldn't believe what it was like to be sober after the sun went down in the summertime. I drank for over 30 years,and if I wasn't drunk at sundown,I was too hungover to do anything,or enjoy it.
Being sober truly is amazing.

Fred
Old 05-31-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post

At the ER
I had a lot of trips there during my forty something years of drinking.
And, I cry like a baby when I'm getting stitches.

Yes, stitches
I remember riding down the road on my Harley
with a short sleeve shirt on
and due to a drunk episode
showing approximately 30 fresh exposed stitches in my arm
a real site for the ones driving by me.

MM
Old 05-31-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Awesome post.

This is my 5th straight Sunday being sober and it's truly amazing. No hangovers at work on Monday. None through the week either. Monday's were absolutely horrible . As much as I thought I was preparing to be ok enough for Monday morning, it was always bad. No anxiety, no reeking from alcohol, no shakes, no freaking out if I appeared normal to everyone and I have mental clarity. I am so happy.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Being sober 7 days a week is a GIFT!! Wouldn't trade it for anything
Old 05-31-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sunday was the worst day for me, it signaled the end of the weekend and my opportunity to drink all day long, but I dreaded the Monday hangover as I would still drink all day Sunday too. The first beer of the morning was always a relief and a harbinger of doom all in one.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yea ,I started many Sundays off with a beer,especially during football season. It sure makes for a long day. It made for Mondays that would send a lot of normal people to the emergency room.
I never called in sick though. I had it in my mind if I did that I was losing control. I also knew I had to work to feed my habit.
Man I'm glad i don't live **** that anymore.

Fred
Old 06-01-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sundays were the worst for me. All day drinking with a "nap" somewhere in there followed by absolutely crippling anxiety in the evening that lasted until Monday morning. I would wonder how in the heck I am going to get through a busy day in this condition......disgusting. The kicker was doing it every single Sunday for years. I am an alcoholic.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Did you drink all week? I am an alcoholic I cripple myself on weekends and days that I am off. Then I fight the withdrawals during the week the anxiety and depression kick in for a few days , then they go away but I start the process all over again. This week I am going to quit drinking and if by the weekend I can not control my cravings I am going to go to an as meeting. Do you think I need rehab?
Old 06-01-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I drank everyday. I would either exercise or drink at lunch and then drink the last hour at work on through the night. I can't tell you if you need rehab. I can tell you that I needed it to get me sober but after that I need someone to show me how to live life sober. That is where AA has changed my life.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

bunchie,

If you can afford treatment or have the insurance to cover it, I'd go if I was you. It's a lot easier and safer in the beginning when you are just starting to work on sobriety. I've been to treatment and it's almost a relief to get out of the environment that I was drinking in and be in a place where you can get a lot of support. John
Old 06-07-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wow -- here it is Sunday again. How time flies. Back in my drinking years at this time of the day on Sunday I would not be looking forward to what was coming up. Monday morning at work and trying to get my buzz on without getting caught. And then driving home from work while seeing cross eyed.

Yes, today is a nice mellow sober Sunday.

MM