Notices

Recombobulation Zone

Old 05-28-2015, 12:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Recombobulation Zone

I am currently amidst my first major move without alcohol. Stressful circumstances, exhaustion, misplaced cowgirl boots and stuff, B.O. I am feeling totally discombobulated and need to get a grip.

What do you do when you are feeling destabilized? How do you recombobulate? How do you laugh when everything feels so serious. Just have a hankering for some of your good words. Maybe a smile. Thanks friends. You are one in a million.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

As you know I moved last year Verte.
I understand being discombobulated.

It took me a while to get settled again if I'm honest, but really it was the best move I ever made. I love it here

Wishing a similar outcome for you too

D
Old 05-28-2015, 01:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had some big life changes last year and the beginning of this one. I drank over them....

Not the best idea I ever had...

Walk through them, take some time for yourself, keep talking and sharing...and remember they will be over soon ❤️
Old 05-28-2015, 02:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I don't have any cowgirl boots being 290lbs and a bloke not surprising i suppose , but i can share your disappointment .

i find billy connolly on U-tube a panacea for lots of things , i like a sit in a comfy chair and do channel surfing with a cuppa tea too .

Hope you feel more with it soon , m
Old 05-28-2015, 03:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Recombobulate? You can't do that! It's not even a word!

Address the HALT factors and find something absurdly funny to watch like Fawlty Towers.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think moving is one one of the worst things ever! Drinking or not. I must say I have moved both drinking and sober and it was much smoother sober! It always helped me to take some time away from it each day for a walk or coffee.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

recombobulate

Verb

(third-person singular simple present recombobulates, present participle recombobulating, simple past and past participle recombobulated)

(uncommon) To cause to think clearly again; to reorient; to put back into working order.
(intransitive) To (come to) think clearly again; to reorient oneself; to get (oneself) back into working order.

Antonyms: discombobulate
Old 05-28-2015, 03:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

I can relate. Moving is stressful. I finally opened the last box I packed last year. I still have some things to move around, but the big stuff is done.

When I feel the pressure mounting and start to get stressed out, I will do:

- read on SR
- listen to uplifting music (bouncy stuff)
- exercise
- walk the dog, or groom her
- go for a drive and look at the beautiful country side
- find a comedy on tv
- find something funny on the net
- clean
- play my guitar
- paint
- count your blessings

Do anything except drink.

Hope you are enjoying your new place - make the best of it.
CF
Old 05-28-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi.
I still need to follow the AA slogans on the walls at meetings, they fit my various feelings on different days.
EASY DOES IT.
LET GO, LET GOD.
KEEP IT SIMPLE.
FIRST THINGS FIRST.
THIS TOO SHALL PASS.

When I can step back and chuckle I like “ Man plans, God laughs” and “Plan ahead but don’t plan the outcome.”

BE WELL
Old 05-28-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
quat

Them boots was made for walking, did you check below your shins ? If after the silverware is sorted, they still don't turn up .. well the second best thing to a pair of broke in just rights, is new boots !!
wish you well and sorted
Old 05-28-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When my bobs need re-ulating, I resort to bad TV. Embarrassing, but it helps.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Think of it as a new start. A time of cleansing/reorganizing/starting over. Sure it will be different but it will be better. Maybe you don't need all that "stuff" anyway, right? Last time I moved I got rid of boxes and boxes of things that I didn't really need and it felt good knowing I could give it so someone that might use it, and also to just throw away some of the "Junk" that I had accumulated over the years.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi there. First off, congrats!

Moving, huh! I've moved around in my life so many times, all over the map... it pretty much feels like my nature (well, it is). I actually always find it exciting, but I've never been settled very much anywhere and don't have much stuff, so typically not too nightmarish experience practically.

Not sure what stage you are at right now. What I usually do is make sure it's as organized as it can be, and I deal with parts of the move everyday in a structured, planned way, some stuff each day, break the work down. I also typically take the opportunity of a move to sort out my surplus and get rid of things I don't need or want to keep. I'm probably the opposite of a hoarder, so this can go a bit too easily at times... imagine, once I managed to misplace or accidentally throw out the hard copy of my PhD degree!

I also like to supervise the movers (if I use any) myself to minimize problems as much as possible, but try not to go too obsessive with the control. Stopping having to deal with work and other stressful things during the days around the move is also a good idea, although I have not always been able to do this. It can be taken a bit like early recovery: a big change that involves serious re-adjustment, and taking extra good care of ourselves is helpful. How do you usually manage stress and practical, exhausting challenges? I would amp those things up if possible instead of suddenly now finding new methods. I would say same goes if you have thoughts of drinking due to the stress. Do whatever worked for you in the early days to ride them

Once in the new place, I would say take it as easy as possible, don't aim for re-establishing everything in two days. Do some everyday, but also do other things that you find relaxing and interesting. Put on your imaginary cowgirl boots, grab the family (or no family) and go explore!

I'm excited for you, my friend... I'm a hopeless novelty seeker
Old 05-28-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh Verte I hate moving. I even had a nightmare about having to move last night and guess what I did to cope in my dream? I drank thank god just a dream.

If you're like me something like moving is so stressful because you want everything done almost unrealistically quick so you try to take on everything all at once like hercules and wear yourself out. Try to take it one day at a time, breath. Remember you may not be exactly where you want to be in this process of moving but you're where you are supposed to be.

I haven't had to move for a few years now but one thing that helped me the last time was looking at it as an opportunity to 'cleanse' the unnecessary things out of my life. Chuck or donate things you have no use for anymore, downsize.

Tell us about your new place!
Old 05-30-2015, 01:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hey, thanks for all your responses and inspirations. Your thoughts are truly appreciated. I'm one of those people these days (read years) who requires a reality check, reminder, stack of cheese sandwiches prepped and waiting in the refrigerator in advance of prolonged stress.

Originally Posted by Verte View Post
B.O.
Take it easy solution #1: New filter handheld shower head.

It is a dream come true. The water here is such that soap does not rinse off easily and clothes have lingering stink after washing. Since I have defaulted to my dirt ball ways, it all combines to surround me with a giant Pig-Pen dust cloud (I'm in hog heaven). Taking a bad shower is like fulfilling a requirement. A great shower is an experience and totally worth whatever time, fast or slow. This is definitely making the best of it.

mecanix, my boots have been reheeled 3 times in the last decade. All a 290# bloke like yourself would need is a good cobbler and you would be all set for your own pair.

And Billy Connolly, oh my gosh. I watched a 4minute segment about a flight to Australia and all my laughing muscles ached. That is a fantastic tip. Thank you.

Haennie, we are still 20/80 between old and new place. But I have been unpacking boxes still from my last move a handful of years ago. There are so many 'things' from drinking days: glasses, amazing crystal, all shapes and sizes and ages from so many places, memories, stories and stories. What do we do with these things?

A mover even packed half bottles of Patron Citronage and Silver. I wrapped them back up and stuffed them in the garbage. Thinking that this time of year with my old crew from afar would be awful. Just a thought. Bringing it back to the moment and wow, is it good to be here.

Off to sleep now but just wanted to thank you all.

And another great thing about where I have moved is the wind. There is an ocean wind that is really unique and I like it.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Hi Verte! Glad to hear things are working out for you in your move. An ocean wind, eh? How wonderful!!