Notices

Sunday

Old 05-24-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sunday

Well guys I made it to Sunday and still ok as far as maintaining my 90 day countdown, though I am not sure what number I am on. I just know I won't meet my goal until August. Tuesday would be 3 weeks no drink. It just takes forever and yet three weeks is nothing. Trying so hard to keep the anxiety at bay.
Thanks for helping me through these last few days as I am surrounded by opportunities to drink. Last night was nice, I had dinner with some people at their place and got to socialize a bit and then someone asked me if I was trying not to drink and that they would not offer it to me as they had noticed I was turning down the offers these past couple days. I was kind of embarrassed because as soon as you say "Yeah I am not drinking" it sounds like you're saying "I have a problem". It was nice of him to ask though, these are good people.
Today my boyfriend will visit so that will be nice.

I am not trying to be an attention queen but I do post a lot lately. That's because I really feel as if I am surrounded by friends when I am here. All the thoughts shared and responses have helped me through, sometimes minute to minute. Some of you have talked me out of a drink, taken the time to converse with me here and just get me out of the water. It worked. When I'm out there walking around and see all the alcohol available at every turn, or I'm up late and can hear the bar still open just outside, I really do think of you guys here. If I drank I'd feel I'd have thrown away the time and effort you put into helping me out and sharing your words. And so I don't.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am proud of you for staying sober despite temptation to drink. Stay the course and before you know it, you'll have ninety days and more. My birthday is in August so that would be a nice birthday present you could give me.

Post all you like! That's what SR is for!
Old 05-24-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Way to go. You are doing great. I really am proud of you..
Old 05-24-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Three weeks is a lot of time, well done! I promise you, it gets easier and eventually you don't even notice the days going by. Don't worry about how much you post, whatever keeps you sober :-)
Old 05-24-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great stuff, Sleepie

Posting here a lot helped me so much too, and many times I was out there in the real world thinking of a drink, and then I thought of all the people here. It really does help

One thing about keeping the time... you might find that if you focus on just today it will help you feel less pressure. Your goal is great, to reach August, but at some point along the way you can re-construct that whole time construct to what it takes for you to find a peaceful, contented sobriety.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys you're the best I expect I'll be in at least one more situation where there will be alcohol- Memorial Day. For sure... I'll probably just try and eat something delicious and enjoy my last day off before I go back in for ten hour days at work- and I just found out the other person who works there is leaving. So that means I'll be working every day until they find someone else. If I am really lucky they will find someone soon. Or for all I know the place will shut down soon.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Or for all I know the place will shut down soon.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's ok with me if they do!
Old 05-24-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are doing great. I remember at three weeks I still felt like I was wearing my skin inside out and even a breeze was too much stimulation. I have almost four years now. You will too. Just keep moving forward and remember when socializing its ok to leave early.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi sleepie;
I was at a party yesterday and I'll be darned if three times people didn't come around with a bottle asking me if I wanted a shot.

The third time was with a 12 year old single malt Irish whiskey, which used to be one of my strongly preferred drinks.

I was thinking "am I getting tested here or what?" and I remembered to follow the drink through
and thought about my big picture and how this little party was no more than a blip on my radar and I was able to say no pretty easily

I am so glad today that I did and I'm still on track.
I did wolf down some serious lamb chops to reward myself

(this was my friend's annual "lambfest" party so lamb is featured item)
Eating and having some nice herbal tea in a bottle with me at all times was
my strategy, and I made sure to park where I wasn't blocked in case I felt
tempted and needed to leave early.

All of these things helped--supporting yourself in your sobriety is critical.

Hugs and have fun!
Old 05-24-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am so proud of you, sleepie; you are doing beautifully.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
zjw

its gotta be nice not waking up with a hangover despite some of your anxiety issues and such i'd imagine your feeling some what better physically?

good job!

I hope your anxiety battle gets better. It was rough for me. I felt as if i was standing with my back up against a rock wall on a cliff a mile high looking down and i was loosing my footing constantly and it was windy and i was /alone/. It was god awful and I wrote down my expierence those days so that i could refer back to it later down the line. which was a wise choice because when i go back and read that stuff I realize just how far i've come. Its theraputic.

One thing I never did tho was keep a photo of myself readily available from when iw as in the thick of it. and even now when i see some of the old photos i can /feel/ the horror just by seeing myself in those photos.

Its gonna get better for you. Your doing good!
Old 05-24-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I am having a nice afternoon/evening with my boyfriend (who I shall now refer to as Jake Gyllenhall)... already got news they hired someone new at work so that's cool. We are going to watch a film called "Babadook" on Netflix now that people have been raving about- it's supposed to be super creepy!