Notices

Stomach really hurts night after drinking?

Old 05-23-2015, 09:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stomach really hurts night after drinking?

Im a 19 year old male who has been drinking almost every weekend for 3 years. For some reason a month ago the night after i drank, the night after i was in some pain which wouldn't allow me to sleep. This pain slowly went away after 2 days and i thought i ate something bad. the weekend after i drank and i was in excruciating pain the next night for 3 days. what's wrong, i know i need to cut out alcohol but i have to slowly do it. what's wrong and what can i do to avoid this?
Old 05-23-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd suggest seeing a doctor. Share with them the connection between drinking and the stomach pain so they can investigate. And perhaps stop drinking in the meantime since it seems to be the cause of the problem
Old 05-23-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Definitely see a doctor. Drinking and stomach issues are pretty common, but intensive pain is something serious and not something to be casually inquired about.

Definitely see a doctor, and as you're certain the pain is a result following drinking then you certainly should cut out drinking at least until you see your doctor.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

excruciating pain is never good. Why not get it checked out?

D
Old 05-23-2015, 10:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by QuietToday View Post
Definitely see a doctor. Drinking and stomach issues are pretty common, but intensive pain is something serious and not something to be casually inquired about.

Definitely see a doctor, and as you're certain the pain is a result following drinking then you certainly should cut out drinking at least until you see your doctor.
I went to the ER 3 weeks ago and they did blood tests and fecal tests to find out of there was stomach bleeding but everything was normal. I was also tested for H. Pylori with negative results so it's something I have no idea what it could be. If it was gastrisis, i'm pretty sure it'd be chronic pain after indulging in sensitive foods. To also mention, I'm part asian and I do have half the flush gene which gets me super red
Old 05-23-2015, 11:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hey Dukoff,

See your regular doc and get the whole monitoring process started. Make sure to be honest about alcohol history like others have said. You said you are going to start an alcohol taper? Yeah, this is a great time to get medical support.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Get a hospital Dr or GP to check you out & nice to meet you friend
Old 05-24-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Always a good idea to get checked by a Dr!!
Old 05-24-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by dukoff View Post
I was also tested for H. Pylori with negative results so it's something I have no idea what it could be.
Did you share with your doctor the pain always coincides with drinkng alcohol?
Old 05-24-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Excrutiating pain in the stomach area after drinking for 3 days I would suspect pancreatitis.

As the others have suggested head to your regular GP and have a full physical. Tell your doctor honestly about what happens when you drink I doubt that an amylase/lipase panel is included on a standard blood test.

Not diagnosing . My husband has chronic pancreatitis from alcoholism which also included diabetes when his pancreas was scarred from acute episodes. You DONT WANT THIS. Excruciating pain in the stomach area after drinking is a sign of pancreatitis, but it could also be a sign of something else.

Good luck to you and sorry you are experiencing this.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone but I should give full details to the story. I took a 3 week break from alcohol but then I indulged on friday. The night after, I slowly felt the same pain creep up but it's not painful at all, just a little uncomfortable. What they said in the ER 3 weeks ago oh hey stop drinking. Yeah I know that but I want to know whats wrong with me. I saw my family doctor a couple days after the ER, all she said was drink water after every drink, and drink a lot of water the day after. So i did that friday and I don't full nearly as bad as before. I don't know if it's the water after every drink or the 3 week break but i just want to know what's wrong and how I can fix it. Anyone with similar stories or any stomach issues with drinking, please share and I'd love to hear it.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by dukoff View Post
What they said in the ER 3 weeks ago oh hey stop drinking

i just want to know what's wrong and how I can fix it.
The problem is that when you drink it causes you to have stomach pain.. The way to fix it is to stop drinking. Is that clear enough for you?
Old 05-24-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

yeah man you're asking a forum of alcoholics for advice on how to continue drinking when it's physically harming you, and has massively harmed everyone here on every level. it'd be irresponsible for anyone to tell you anything other than stop.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Read your post out loud to yourself and pretend that someone else wrote. Time to stop drinking man. I tried for years to alleviate the problems from drinking with more drinking. Took me s long time to give up on this.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

See a Doc and be open about your drinking history. Check out your stool. If it's tarry you could have serious intestinal bleeding. If you see blood it's lower down. Either way with either sign see a Doctor. Acute pain in the upper right abdomen may be liver, gall bladder or pancreas.
If the pain is absent after a few days of abstinence you know the cause.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful

I absolutely LOVE peaches. The problem is that I'm allergic to them and break out in hives when I eat them. So as much as I love them I avoid eating peaches or anything with peaches in the ingredients. See where I'm going with this?
Old 05-25-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

You are in dangerous territory. Cut out drinking completely. I can't give medical advice, but I can say I had similar pain and had pancreatitis which is very serious. You should see your doctor again and be totally honest with your drinking history. Don't keep pushing your luck, you need your pancreas and you are so young. Pain is a warning that something is wrong! Listen to what your body is telling you.