Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Trying to step back onto the path clarity once more.

Notices

Old 05-22-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi my names Matt, I'm 23 and I'm a poly substance abuser my main thing is alcohol, but I'd also abuse heroin\opiates and had a stint with bath salts, the one that's my main vice is definitely alcohol though. I've tried and tried in the past to stop self medicating, but somehow everytime i'm able to convince myself that using/drinking is some kind of key to hapiness, and I mess up and land in misery.

I'm jobless and live at home right now, and I still can't seem to get using substances off my mind, it's just like, an itch you know you can't scratch. my main goal here is just to make some friends and have some sort of outlet.

Thanks, Matthew
Old 05-22-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Matt. You'll find a wealth of information, support and those who understand here. Not sure if you poked around much but there is a substance abuse forum here too.

Whatever your DOC might be, I think the key to getting better is acceptance of our addiction - realizing it for what it truly is. Once you've done that you can move forward with some kind of plan to first detox and then move on with a sober life. Hope we can be of assistance in helping you do those things.

Last edited by ScottFromWI; 05-22-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good to have you join us, Matthew.

Have you thought about calling 211? It is the "first stop" offered through agencies (usually under the United Way umbrella, I think) that can provide help.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, glad you're here. There's so much reading here and many will support you in your sober endeavors
Old 05-23-2015, 12:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to a great supportive community Matthew

D
Old 05-23-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks so much people. No need for detox or anything like that, I've just been going off on little 2 or 3 day benders lately. They end badly just the same.

I'm just trying to find a clear head and gain support.

One issue i'm trying to deal with is my step dad continuously bringing half gallons of rum home. I've asked my mom to talk to him about it, and I've talked to him about it myself. He claims it's his house and he should be able to enjoy a drink. My mom tends to end up siding with him in the end, sometimes I feel like she cares about him more than me due to this. I would move out, but disability is coming slow, and a job is not an option right now due to aforementioned disability.

Sorry for getting on the Soap box guys. It's just the above situation really gets to me and hurts me.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, your mom chose to be married to this man and she is going to take his side. Honestly, it is his right to do as he pleases in his own home. I'm sure she loves you, but the husband lives there - maybe pays the bills - and she is his wife. This isn't a case of her loving him more.

If you can't be around the alcohol, go to a an AA meeting or find a volunteer position somewhere. If you can type on a keyboard, there is a volunteer position for you.

Get out of the house or at least stay away from the rum. There is always going to be rum in the world, I know for me I had to learn to deal with it being everywhere and not drinking it.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry it's difficult Hylianshield, but like Bim says I wouldn't read into that that your mom loves you less

It's tough but some of us just have to get sober around drinkers.

That's why support in places like SR (and AA and SMART and all the other face to face recovery groups) is so important.

Start building up a support base

D
Old 05-23-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry it's difficult Hylianshield, but like Bim says I wouldn't read into that that your mom loves you less

It's tough but some of us just have to get sober around drinkers.

That's why support in places like SR (and AA and SMART and all the other face to face recovery groups) is so important.

Start building up a support base

D
Old 05-24-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Matt!!