Notices

chocolate cravings

Old 05-21-2015, 11:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

chocolate cravings

I am starting to worry about my escalating chocolate cravings. I was never much interested in the stuff..in fact alway wary of it as I did not want to gain weight etc. Now 13 months into sobriety I feel like I cannot live without my daily chocolate and almost go into a panic if my fix is not available. Have been without it for last couple of days and subjected myself to an out of control binge today just like I did with wine . I use chocolate as a mood altering drug. Did some research on it and read an article which said that chocolate and alcohol have similiar properties..could not decipher the exact science though as brain addled from sugar & anxiety.
Have tried to go on a 30 day detox from the stuff but only lasted 3 days into it and relapsed. Just feel so weak..switched one addiction for another! A slave to this weakness..any advice ..thankyou in advance!
Old 05-21-2015, 11:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I replaced my chocolate with fruit...now I eat moderate amounts of chocolate and a fair amount of fruit.

D
Old 05-21-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Drinking tea helps me... Its like it warms the soul! (And keeps your belly full with liquid!)
Old 05-22-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I simply gave myself over to the chocolate ice cream beast.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I eat chocolate nearly everyday and when I was drinking I barely touched the stuff. I have no advice for you, sorry, I just wanted you to know you are not alone. I have to say that I have never said terrible things, almost killed people on the road or lost my job because of chocolate. That aside, it is not good for the waistline and I will eagerly watch this thread for any tips.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe you could try to taper off I think dee74 plan sounds good fruit still has some sugar.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Chocolate cravings are a sign of magnesium deficiency. Do you also have a hard time sleeping?
Magnesium is a mineral used to be naturally occurring In our soil but due to excessive pesticides it is no longer received through our diet, you can buy it in capsule, powder, or liquid.
it is also naturally occurring In raw unprocessed chocolate . That is why we crave chocolate when we are low in magnesium
Old 05-23-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Also - congrats on going 3 days without sugar!that was one of the hardest ones for me to quit ( it was actually harder for me to quit than nicotene) and a lot of people aren't even willing to try to take sugar out of their diet , so you should really pat yourself on the back
Old 05-23-2015, 11:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thankyou for your replies..I take magnesium daily and mostly sleep well now that I am a non drinker! I did not make the 3 days as succumbed to a hot chocolate after my work today as needed ..oh well it is better than putting myself in a life threatening situation drinking alcohol!