Notices

Scared!

Old 05-21-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Nice read! I'm going to see if my friend will come with me for the first time! She told me she would a while back when I started having concerns about my problem.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

So far today I haven't had anything to drink. This morning I was sweaty and had anxiety with pounding heart. I took my vitamins and a detoxing bath and my symptoms have subsided..I have drank lots of water and plan to walk 4-8 miles..with this happening do you think that I won't have severe withdrawal symptoms and if so instead of tapering I could just go cold turkey!
Old 05-21-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by friedpickle View Post
So far today I haven't had anything to drink. This morning I was sweaty and had anxiety with pounding heart. I took my vitamins and a detoxing bath and my symptoms have subsided..I have drank lots of water and plan to walk 4-8 miles..with this happening do you think that I won't have severe withdrawal symptoms and if so instead of tapering I could just go cold turkey!
Unfortunately we can't diagnose your probability of having symptoms via the internet friedpickle. There are too many variables, you really need to see a doctor if you fear that you will have severe symptoms.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I know many people who have had uneventful (albeit uncomfortable) withdrawals and a few who have had life-threatening withdrawals. So we can't advise you to do it on your own. That said, if you DO simply quit cold turkey, be willing to call for medical help for any really scary symptoms.

Just feeling like crap for several days (anxiety, trouble eating/sleeping) are pretty much par for the course. And I do urge you to get to an AA meeting. I've been sober almost seven years, and it's an important part of my maintenance of my own recovery. Go with your friend if she's willing to go with you. It really isn't scary and it's nothing like what you've probably imagined. Here's a very helpful page about What to Expect at Your First AA Meeting.