Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Interesting Conversation Today With Rehab Referral

Notices

Old 05-19-2015, 09:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So today I randomly called the 24/7 Rehab Helpline advertised on this site. I wanted to see what options would be available to me with my insurance if I continue to go downhill and need help.

When he asked me what approach I liked, I told him 12 steps. Surprisingly, he told me that the 12 step method is losing popularity very quickly, and it has a lower success rate compared to other newer approaches.

This baffles me because whenever I go to an AA meeting, they all state how this is where it's at, and that people who relapse stop going to AA meetings.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What are the newer approaches, did they say?
Old 05-19-2015, 09:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
What are the newer approaches, did they say?
I cannot believe I did not ask him, but I should have. I wasn't in a good mood today, as I was still foggy from my drinking last night.

I think he mentioned "holistic" approaches.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

But I will tell you what. If you need someone to answer a phone and listen to you, they are a great resource. Of course they want your referral (money talks), but still....
Old 05-20-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

secular recovery forum has alot of info about this stuff. AVRT, CBT, SMART, Lifering.
although the "higher power" debate seems the most common, it is the 1st step that loses alot of folks. many of us believe that recovery is an acheivement that we give ourselves credit for. -we also take personal responsibility for useing.

AVRT is the most popular alternative. -freshstart57 is the go to guy for info. his stickys in the secular section outline the basics.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Any approach is good if it's working for you. I wouldn't let what he said about the 12 Step model deter you at all from trying it. Leviathan mentioned some others and I want to also mention Women For Sobriety (WFS) to you as well.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think several are moving towards SMART and holistic. Just read about that yesterday. Good for you for calling.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

I suggest that when you ask a particular SOBER individual which way is the best way to get sober it will be the way that they got sober. Imagine that?

I will tell you go to AA meetings and listen to what they tell you to do and then do it. It has kept me sober 15 plus years, but that is just my experience. I have a good friend that went to his particular church and with a priest's help he has been sober 20 plus years. I don't know anyone that has used the holistic method but that is because I hang out with AA folks when it comes to "sober" people. I firmly believe that with a path to follow and a desire and effort to stay on that path you can be sober.

What I have seen is that no one can fix you if you aren't committed to changing your life. I have a brother who eventually fell down his stairs drunk after 4 rehab stays and no success in getting sober. Now as a crippled man he gets all the pain killers he will ever need to keep him in la-la land. Desire without action is just a wish.

Best of luck no matter what solution you decide upon.

Jon