Notices

Unrelated to sobriety but need to vent

Old 05-18-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unrelated to sobriety but need to vent

This post is completely unrelated to sobriety/drinking/etc but I really need to vent and just type out my thoughts.

Today, I discovered that my 14 year old daughter has been cutting herself. I am not sure how to react, what to say/do, and am completely beside myself on this one. I believe that there are a number of reasons why she may be doing this but doubt that she will openly talk to me about them anyway.

One part of me just wants to snatch her up and hug her as tight as I can while I try to explain that the emotional side of being a teenager does go away and things will get better. Another part of me is just really sad and angry.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I'm so sorry. This must be so painful for a mother to witness in her child. I think a hug would be great, but if she's cutting, I think a psychologist or a psychiatrist needs to be called in.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Go online and educate yourself about how to deal. We don't have an official diagnosis on my daughter yet but it's looking like bipolar. There are some great resources on how to help. Hugging sounds like a great start.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

I hope this works out for you. I know how it is sometimes you cant seem to get into there heads and figure out whats wrong. Or you get it but the last person they will listen to is you.

I have a difficult time connecting with my oldest child and its hard makes me feel like i'm a crummy father at times But I also know that this child has to meet me halfway etc..

Its tough for kids at that age but they also tend to not realize it doesnt have to be that tough.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Very sorry to hear this....and wish you the best of luck in finding help. Growing up in today's world is a whole different ballgame compared to when most of us did....I truly hope you can get to the root of it and help. A hug also sounds like a great idea to me.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your words. It is extremely frustrating, scary, sad, and many more... especially when it is your child.

I totally agree @ calling for professional help. I will have to take her to counselling, at this point anyway, whether she likes it or not because the only way that I found out was from the school. And they will now will require A, B, and C to be done in accordance to their rules.

My heart just breaks for her, she has already been through far more than any teenager should have to go through. Hopefully we can work through whatever issues that she is having.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

its tough with kids too because we have the benefit of age to look back at there situation and be able to help them solve all there issues. But I know when i was younger i didnt listen to no one I new everything etc.. Most kids dont realize how awesome they are they tend to get so caught up in whatever.

Of course the same could be said for many of us adults as well. I know I got a pretty thick head at times and fail to realize how great my life is all to often.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I most certainly have a thick head at times as well and don't always listen to good advice when it is given.

Times are so different now. When I was growing up, we didn't have all of the things that kids have now-a-days. If you got into an argument with someone at school, it was over when the bell rang. Now, it is all over social media and there is no escape from anything it seems.

I think we are going to have a nice, quiet dinner... just she and I so we can discuss (with any luck) what might be going on in her mind.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

Times are so different now. When I was growing up, we didn't have all of the things that kids have now-a-days. If you got into an argument with someone at school, it was over when the bell rang. Now, it is all over social media and there is no escape from anything it seems.
YEP! I have no idea what that must be like since I never grew up in the age of social media. they gotta be /on/ 24/7 to manage there social interactions etc.. its gotta be stressful.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your situation JensDestiny.

As we don't have a cutting sub forum, this is one of the few forums we can link to here - it has a great reputation and a family and friends section too

bus ? Index page

D
Old 05-18-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow great link Dee.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the link, I am going to check out the site for sure!
Old 05-18-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JensDestiny View Post
This post is completely unrelated to sobriety/drinking/etc but I really need to vent and just type out my thoughts.

Today, I discovered that my 14 year old daughter has been cutting herself. I am not sure how to react, what to say/do, and am completely beside myself on this one. I believe that there are a number of reasons why she may be doing this but doubt that she will openly talk to me about them anyway.

One part of me just wants to snatch her up and hug her as tight as I can while I try to explain that the emotional side of being a teenager does go away and things will get better. Another part of me is just really sad and angry.

I am so sorry to hear that you and your daughter are going through such a difficult time. I have worked with kids that cut in the past and I remember them all like it was yesterday. It's terrible to see a kid doing this to themselves because of the pain they feel, and the frustrations of their parents, not knowing what to do to help. Yes, give her all the love you can but I also think you should definitely look into professional help for her. It might also help with your sobriety knowing she is getting the help she needs. Hope everything turns out well for all of you. John
Old 05-18-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I'm so sorry. This must be so painful for a mother to witness in her child. I think a hug would be great, but if she's cutting, I think a psychologist or a psychiatrist needs to be called in.
Or a therapist.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi JensDestiny,
I once wrote a paper on cutting. There is usually a function behind the cutting, something it serves. For example, a lot of teenagers cut to relieve tension/pain in their life, and it provides a relief. Plus, the site of blood can validate the pain they are feeling in their lives. So I would presume that your daughter is in a lot of pain. In this case, a hug is better than being angry at her.