Notices

Withdrawal syndrome - 40 hours since last drink

Old 05-15-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal syndrome - 40 hours since last drink

I decided to sign up for this forum because i'm really paranoid about the withdrawal symptoms i've been feeling all day.

I've read about the brain damage it can cause, and there just doesn't seem to be any detailed literature on the net on to what extent and to what severity the symptoms would have to reach in order for said brain damage to occur.

I bought 2 beers just as a last resort if things get too serious.

Does anyone here know anything about detailed information regarding this subject?

Little info about myself :

I've been drinking quite heavily for the past year and it reached an all time high for the past month or two, due to stress, depression and anxiety.

I've been telling myself i'm gonna quit, i have to quit, i must quit, etc, and i finally decided to just go for it.

It's just that i'm not sure whether i should drink a couple of beers to lessen the withdrawal effect and wait for a doc to prescribe me benzos or not.

Please help -- this is urgent.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you have been drinking "quite heavily" - really, see a doctor and don't go cold turkey. It is dangerous. You can go to emergency/hospital.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

First of all, don't freak yourself out.
Secondly, call a doctor and be totally honest. You might need medical help, you might not. Either way, anxiety is a big issue for us alcoholics and getting worked up won't make you feel any better.
You're getting sober, this is a huge thing and something to be proud of and stick with :-)
Old 05-15-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
If you have been drinking "quite heavily" - really, see a doctor and don't go cold turkey. It is dangerous. You can go to emergency/hospital.
I took your advice immediately and drank half of 1 of the beers i was keeping in my closet.

I can say that i immediately feel better now. I will go next monday and see a doctor for emergency purposes, and i will drink 2 beers per day until then.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

The brain damage is reversible for just about everyone who quits. So don't worry about that. I just got back from taking my brother to the doc. He wants to quit and was put on antianxiety med. They gave him a list of things to look out for and to go to the ER if he needed to. Go in and talk to someone.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Nocturnus, Alcohol withdrawal is a pretty uncomfortable experience, and unfortunately can be fatal. If you can take it easy until Monday and see your doctor, I think you will be fine. "tapering" as its called can get you out of the woods, but many alcoholics can't taper because...they're alcoholics. Anyway, hang in there. You'll be fine. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nocturnus3 View Post
I took your advice immediately and drank half of 1 of the beers i was keeping in my closet.

I can say that i immediately feel better now. I will go next monday and see a doctor for emergency purposes, and i will drink 2 beers per day until then.

Well, that's one way to do it.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
The brain damage is reversible for just about everyone who quits. So don't worry about that. I just got back from taking my brother to the doc. He wants to quit and was put on antianxiety med. They gave him a list of things to look out for and to go to the ER if he needed to. Go in and talk to someone.
According to the Wikipedia article on the subject, you are wrong.

"Rebound increased glutamate signaling produces excitotoxicity, giving alcohol abuse and subsequent withdrawal the ability to cause severe, irreversible brain damage, particularly to the white matter."

Anyways, thanks a lot for the friendly feedback guys. This seems like a very good place -- i've never told anyone that i'm an alcoholic. None of my friends or family know it.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome nocturnus....to be safe i'd also recommend seeing a doctor. Wikipedia is not a doctor and I wouldn't give too much weight to anything you read on the internet without seeing a physician first.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

According to the Wikipedia article on the subject, you are wrong.

"Rebound increased glutamate signaling produces excitotoxicity, giving alcohol abuse and subsequent withdrawal the ability to cause severe, irreversible brain damage, particularly to the white matter."

Anyways, thanks a lot for the friendly feedback guys. This seems like a very good place -- i've never told anyone that i'm an alcoholic. None of my friends or family know it.
I did not know that. I know that detoxing can be very dangerous. I was more talking about the effects of long term drinking being reversible. I read the wiki you got that from. It was under Delirium tremors. That was one of the things they told my bro to go directly to the ER for. If you are experiencing that level of withdraw it is time to go in to the ER.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I never read much about the effects of withdrawal besides the obvious, I just knew it could happen fast and furious and I went to the ER at least once of my own accord.

Don't forget, anyone can write on wikipedia. And the effects of long term alcoholism also affects the brain- besides we know there are plenty of intelligent recovered people here who went through withdrawals and then proceeded to obtain degrees, careers, etc. so withdrawals having the ability to cause damage does not necessarily mean they will.

Anyway I am sure you know that you are in a bit of a catch 22 with your reasoning. A medically supervised detox is the thing to do, I am doing it with benzos shortly- we are here for you.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh I'm sure you feel better now, you've stopped withdrawal. And now you have a free pass to keep drinking, huzzah!!! You're going to have to pass the acute withdrawal phase, or you will be drinking until you die. Meds from a doctor will help but not eliminate symptoms, mostly the meds help prevent seizures that are rare but can happen. Please see a doctor as soon as you possibly can, or you're probably going to be drunk this weekend and it will be that much harder next week.

I've never heard of brain damage from withdrawal, but there certainly is brain damage from drinking.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

......... i've never told anyone that i'm an alcoholic. None of my friends or family know it.
For most of us - when we admitted we were an alcoholic it became unanimous. We don't usually hide it as much as we think we do, perhaps.

Glad you're here, keep posting!!
Old 05-15-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I didn't see Bimin advise you to drink either...
Old 05-15-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi nocturnus

The best thing to do is see a Dr.

If you keep drinking to stave off withdrawal that leads to a nasty unending circle.

I know cos I was in it, and in the end I messed up and suffered several mini strokes anyway.

I'm not suggesting that's likely for you, but I am reiterating seeing a Dr is best.

D
Old 05-15-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Absolutely agree with everyone who has said see a doctor.

I went cold turkey two weeks ago and ended up in the emergency department. I wish I had known how dangerous it can for some people just to stop drinking. Saying that they were great and I have now detoxed.

If I had the will power to cut down gradually and stop I would have but I know for me just having one drink would lead to another and another...