SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Update on Day 1 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/367066-update-day-1-a.html)

Soberintexas007 05-12-2015 09:28 PM

Update on Day 1

Well, I will be done with my Day 1 in a couple of hours. My sponsor would like me to try and do a 90/90. I found a super good meeting tonight. I loved the location, I loved the small group, and I loved the format, so I will make this my regular Tuesday meeting. I also met a really friendly woman, and we share a similar struggle of being sober with drinking husbands, so we have that in common.

The other change I made today is I gave my two week notice at my job. I really don't need the job right now, and I figured I can now use this time to devote to recovery, and this change will also decrease the stress in my life right now. So in a way I am creating my "own rehab" without formally going to one. I can focus on myself right now, exercise, meetings, the steps, etc.

:thanks

sleepie 05-12-2015 09:45 PM

That's great JustBreathe! Glad AA is working out for you.
Just a small word of caution. It's great you can take the time to focus on recovery. But beware of too much free time, that has led to drinking for me anyway, in the past. Post here :)

Glad y0u are making progress and you sound optimistic.

Iconoclastic 05-12-2015 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Justbreathe1980 (Post 5368609)
Well, I will be done with my Day 1 in a couple of hours. My sponsor would like me to try and do a 90/90. I found a super good meeting tonight. I loved the location, I loved the small group, and I loved the format, so I will make this my regular Tuesday meeting. I also met a really friendly woman, and we share a similar struggle of being sober with drinking husbands, so we have that in common.

The other change I made today is I gave my two week notice at my job. I really don't need the job right now, and I figured I can now use this time to devote to recovery, and this change will also decrease the stress in my life right now. So in a way I am creating my "own rehab" without formally going to one. I can focus on myself right now, exercise, meetings, the steps, etc.

:thanks

You’ll attract all sorts of advice on this SR board; some of it will be projection. You haven’t asked for advice, but advice sometimes from well- meaning alcoholics in recovery is like trying to get a drink from a fire hose.

I’ve been attending AA meetings for 50 years, but AA meetings were not my program of recovery. The suggested program of recovery is the 12 Steps. There are AA meetings that study the dynamics of the 12 Steps from the textbook Alcoholics Anonymous and from a text called the 12 steps and 12 traditions (12x12).

See Chapter 5, “HOW IT WORKS, Page 59 in the textbook Alcoholics Anonymous, it will tell you what the AA program is.

It sounds like you’re off to a great start, welcome!

Soberintexas007 05-12-2015 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by sleepie (Post 5368624)
That's great JustBreathe! Glad AA is working out for you.
Just a small word of caution. It's great you can take the time to focus on recovery. But beware of too much free time, that has led to drinking for me anyway, in the past. Post here :)

Glad y0u are making progress and you sound optimistic.

I still have to study for two upcoming exams that I am currently unprepared for because of the drinking, so that should keep my busy in between meetings and exercising and working the steps.

Soberintexas007 05-13-2015 12:55 AM

About to go to bed. Glad I made it through the toughest day which is Day 1. There is still hope for me.

amp123 05-13-2015 01:05 AM

Well done on your decision!

sleepie 05-13-2015 11:03 AM

Hi JustBreathe how are you today? Day two!

You didn't ask anyone to ask... but I did ;)

IOAA2 05-13-2015 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Iconoclastic (Post 5368636)
You’ll attract all sorts of advice on this SR board; some of it will be projection. You haven’t asked for advice, but advice sometimes from well- meaning alcoholics in recovery is like trying to get a drink from a fire hose.

I’ve been attending AA meetings for 50 years, but AA meetings were not my program of recovery. The suggested program of recovery is the 12 Steps. There are AA meetings that study the dynamics of the 12 Steps from the textbook Alcoholics Anonymous and from a text called the 12 steps and 12 traditions (12x12).

See Chapter 5, “HOW IT WORKS, Page 59 in the textbook Alcoholics Anonymous, it will tell you what the AA program is.

It sounds like you’re off to a great start, welcome!

Hi.
This is good solid info that works IF we work it. Not to negate the above, it was suggested to me to also STUDY the first 164 pages of the BB over and over. That was a good suggestion for me and many others.:a213:

BE WELL

Soberintexas007 05-13-2015 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by sleepie (Post 5369429)
Hi JustBreathe how are you today? Day two!

You didn't ask anyone to ask... but I did ;)

Thank you for asking! Yep, Day 2 and feeling a lot more clear headed. Feeling really happy about my decision to quit my job and focus on studying for the first of two exams and recovery. Going to parent's house for dinner tonight to have a prime rib dinner, yummy!!!

sleepie 05-13-2015 06:54 PM

That sounds great! Enjoy :) Glad you are feeling even better today- keep it up! I think focusing on studying is great and can't wait for you to reap the benefits.

Soberintexas007 05-13-2015 10:20 PM

Thank you. Day 2 is pretty much in the books. Had a nice dinner with my parents. In our discussion tonight about recovery and AA (they are not too familiar with any of it), I told them that it is important that they stay positive even though I only have soon to be 3 days sober. I told them that if they look at 3 days in a negative light since they think I should be more recovered, then that will depress me and can possibly trigger me to drink. I think they are getting it.