Notices

Hypnic Jerk

Old 05-12-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hypnic Jerk

So, I finally decided to get sober. I went to the ER in a full panic after a crazy day of drinking (I was shaking very badly but that was a lot of anxiety as well).

They hooked me up to an IV and gave me 50mg of Librium as long as another pill I forget the name. I felt better almost immediately. I finished my IV and they sent me on my way with the prescription.

My treatment is Librium 50mg twice daily for 2 days. Then 25mg twice daily for the next 2.

I am pre-day1 so I've now had 100mg total. The difference is indeed amazing but I am getting a little anxious about trying to fall asleep. I get pretty bad hypnic jerk when I don't drink. Therefore, I drink to fall alseep. Lately, I have been sleeping less and less (3 hours a night) and can't fall back to sleep without a couple of drinks. Rinse and repeat and I am absolutely exhausted.

Now, I'm anxious that when I try in an hour or so, that I will still have jerk. Is there ANYTHING I can do if this happens? I'm afraid to take some melatonin because I fear I will still have the jerk and then be even more tired. Hence, a little anxiety.

Thanks for your support!
Old 05-12-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR snipples. If you had a medically supervised detox in the ER, I wouldn't drink in order to sleep tonight. If you have trouble sleeping, maybe see your doctor about it?

I think many of us have anxiety, especially in early sobriety, but it does get better. Again, welcome to SR
Old 05-12-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pondlady View Post
Welcome to SR snipples. If you had a medically supervised detox in the ER, I wouldn't drink in order to sleep tonight. If you have trouble sleeping, maybe see your doctor about it?

I think many of us have anxiety, especially in early sobriety, but it does get better. Again, welcome to SR
Thanks for the support. I will NOT be drinking a lick of alcohol tonight. I'm just hoping I can finally get a good nights sleep for the first time in years.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

i'd not sleep well for days on end then crash then not sleep for days on end then crash.

despite that i still felt better sober then i did when I drank.

Point being even if its not perfect with any luck it'll still be an improvement.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you are struggling

When we introduce certain substances to our body (alcohol and/or drugs), our body shuts off the natural chemicals that rule daily living and sleeping. It's like they say "oh, heck yeah, I can go on vacation!!"

When we stop that substance, it takes a while for the body to recover and realize it's time to get to work again.

I'm really glad you sought out a dr., but it does take time. I went from being a crack addict with PTSD and going nonstop for days at a time, to realizing I had an "issue" with the PTSD and working with my dr. to find what works for me.

It didn't happen as quickly as I would like, but my dr. knows my history and is working with me in a healthy way.

Keep checking in and let us know how you are doing. Many have issues with insomnia in early recovery, and sometimes, it helps to know we're not alone.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-12-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi! Congrats on your decision to go sober
I read that insomnia is a major reason for relapse. I can attest to that! It's very hard in the beginning. I know it can drive a person nuts but it might be best to know that it could be awhile before you sleep well. Or on a regular schedule. Sometimes you're just going to pass out when you pass out and it might be for five hours, might be for twelve. It will get better though.
Please stay strong in spite of insomnia, you have come this far.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

snipples, stick to sobriety whatever your body throws at you.

I suggest you seek treatment for hypnic jerk. Do some research on the internet, as long as you use mainstream reputable sites, and learn as much as you can. It seems to be one of the root causes of your drinking so if you can find a solution it might help you stay sober.