Notices

I don't know what happened to me today !

Old 05-12-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
James,
In some of the earlier posts you have been told that it is simply a matter of choice. Just man up and make the right decision next time. That might be true for them, it might even be true for you, but it is absolutely untrue for alcoholics of my type.

If it were true for us, we wouldn't need rehabs, and AA would never have had any customers, and we wouldnt lose so many alcoholics to this disease. We would all just decide to stop and everything would be fine.

Maybe you are one of those (we call them hard drinkers) who can stop or moderate given a good enough reason. Good for you if you can.

But if you try and try and repeatedly fail, please know that it is not because you are bad or weak or stupid or wrongheaded. A bunch of us, several million in fact, arrived at just such a point where, though we desperatley wanted to, we just could not quit. Yet we found a way out.

So if you find at some future point that you feel like you have run out of options, that nothing has worked, that you are one of those hopeless cases like I was, where I believed that nothing couldsave me, there is a solution.

Well, when it comes down to it...all of it IS a choice, no? I mean obviously its a hard choice, and when in the midst of heavy addiction it does not seem like a choice but it is. We make choices every day. We chose/choose to put ourselves in situations that make it easier to drink (going to the store to buy beer)

If you take the power of choice away, then that would mean you cant choose NOT to drink as well. I would hate to think I didn't have that choice.
I am not sure people said "man up" and "just dont drink next time" and if they did...i am sure they didn't meant it as simply and matter of factly as it came across by text on a screen.

What is your solution? What worked for you?
Old 05-12-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

No, for me it was not a matter of choice. I drank against my will. Often times I didn't even remember taking the first drink. Other times I didn't remember the compelling reasons of even yesterday as to why I shouldn't drink. I had no effective mental defense. I lost the power of choice in drink and I never got it back. This is my experience.

My partner has choice, she can take it one day and leave it the next. I cant do that. Instead I have been placed in a position of neutrality where there is no need to even try and make a choice, it never comes up. It's like I never wake up in the morning and try to chose whether I will fly today or not. I can't fly, so I don't even think about it. the same with drinking.

My solution is described in the Big Book of AA, and it worked exactly as advertised. The essential factor was a spiritual awakening as the result of the steps which brought about a complete psychic change in my outlook or reaction to life, a change I could never have brought about on my own. That was followed by a completely new and envigorating sense of purpose in living this way, a working relationship with the God of my understanding and that has brought about permanent sobriety, 35 years and counting. All my line of sponsorship died sober and of natural causes, so they found permanent sobriety too.

The lastest definition of alcoholism, alcohol use disorder, has, we are told, a very long tail. The vast majority are as you suppose Weaver, they have a diagnosable alcohol use disorder which they will either grow out of as a lot of my friends did, or they will just decide to stop when they feel they have a good enough reason.

A the end of the tail are the worst cases and these often seem to be beyond help, medical help at least. Some die drunk, some progress into Korsokovs and are locked up permanently, a small percentage recover by some miraculous means on their own, and the remainder like me, recover by spiritual means. As someone said earlier, God did for me wat I could not do for myself.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Day 1, done.
Now for Day 2, I'm feeling more confident than I have for a long time.
Be aware and "Stick to the plan"
Top of the day to everyone.
JS
Old 05-12-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi JS. I am only 6 days sober but I know what you are saying. I decided to stop drinking and knowing that if I go to any store that has booze I will drink.
So until I get stronger I will not go to one. Stock up on whatever you will need for the first week, so you have no reason to go to a store. When I think about drinking I come here instead. So needles to say I'm here a lot. But I'm following what others have already been through and take what relates to me.
You are in my prayers.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

No, for me it was not a matter of choice. I drank against my will. Often times I didn't even remember taking the first drink. Other times I didn't remember the compelling reasons of even yesterday as to why I shouldn't drink. I had no effective mental defense. I lost the power of choice in drink and I never got it back. This is my experience.

My partner has choice, she can take it one day and leave it the next. I cant do that. Instead I have been placed in a position of neutrality where there is no need to even try and make a choice, it never comes up. It's like I never wake up in the morning and try to chose whether I will fly today or not. I can't fly, so I don't even think about it. the same with drinking.

My solution is described in the Big Book of AA, and it worked exactly as advertised. The essential factor was a spiritual awakening as the result of the steps which brought about a complete psychic change in my outlook or reaction to life, a change I could never have brought about on my own. That was followed by a completely new and envigorating sense of purpose in living this way, a working relationship with the God of my understanding and that has brought about permanent sobriety, 35 years and counting. All my line of sponsorship died sober and of natural causes, so they found permanent sobriety too.

The lastest definition of alcoholism, alcohol use disorder, has, we are told, a very long tail. The vast majority are as you suppose Weaver, they have a diagnosable alcohol use disorder which they will either grow out of as a lot of my friends did, or they will just decide to stop when they feel they have a good enough reason.

A the end of the tail are the worst cases and these often seem to be beyond help, medical help at least. Some die drunk, some progress into Korsokovs and are locked up permanently, a small percentage recover by some miraculous means on their own, and the remainder like me, recover by spiritual means. As someone said earlier, God did for me wat I could not do for myself.

I am glad you are recovered! And that you were able to choose to stop drinking.

I honestly believe that the reason I stayed in such a disgusting, dark alcoholic hell was because I felt I had "no choice" boy am I glad I quit that line of thinking.

We just will have to agree to disagree on this. And that is ok! There are thousands of people
With different walks of life who got sober in many different ways. That's why I love
This forum. Very "cultured" in that aspect. Specifically the OP can see all of our different advice, take some, leave some or maybe blend a little of each together.

Thanks for your point of view GottaLife
:-)
Old 05-12-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Its not a question of disagreement, just different experience. I have never made a successful conscious choice not to drink. You credit me with a power I do not have. Even today the idea of choice is totally redundant.

The choice I made was to surrender on the battle with the booze. Just give up the fight, and instead I went off looking for this power greater than me. As I travelled that road, the drink problem was taken away almost as a by-product. Today I have about as much choice to drink as I used to have not to drink. None at all.

You make a great point about the different experiences. By my observation and according to the experts, your suggestions about choice will work because the majority of problem drinkers do not cross the line that I crossed where I had placed myself beyond human aid. What you suggest is good advice. Even in AA, if someone wants to try a different approach along those lines we are advised in the book to encourage them to go for it.

The person I am comcerned about is the minority alcoholic of my type, who tries and tries but finds he is unable to make the right choice, where nothing sems to work, rehabs, medication, a million suggestions. He sees others, most in fact, recover through a seemingly simple application of the will and the intellect, and he sits there in total despair saying "what is wrong with me, why can't I do that?" These people exist, I work with them on a regular basis in the "last stop" rehabs. The disease is progressive after all.

Should the OP end up in such a position, I want him to know that he is not alone, that others have been just as hopeless, but we have still found a way out.

On that subject of choice (for the chronic alcoholic) we get a lot of folks in AA who believe they have got back the power of choice, even though our program makes no such claim. The acid test however is to exercise that choice freely. If I could do it again and again either way then I would have the power of choice. I would in effect be a normal drinker.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Its not a question of disagreement, just different experience. I have never made a successful conscious choice not to drink. You credit me with a power I do not have. Even today the idea of choice is totally redundant.

The choice I made was to surrender on the battle with the booze. Just give up the fight, and instead I went off looking for this power greater than me. As I travelled that road, the drink problem was taken away almost as a by-product. Today I have about as much choice to drink as I used to have not to drink. None at all.

You make a great point about the different experiences. By my observation and according to the experts, your suggestions about choice will work because the majority of problem drinkers do not cross the line that I crossed where I had placed myself beyond human aid. What you suggest is good advice. Even in AA, if someone wants to try a different approach along those lines we are advised in the book to encourage them to go for it.

The person I am comcerned about is the minority alcoholic of my type, who tries and tries but finds he is unable to make the right choice, where nothing sems to work, rehabs, medication, a million suggestions. He sees others, most in fact, recover through a seemingly simple application of the will and the intellect, and he sits there in total despair saying "what is wrong with me, why can't I do that?" These people exist, I work with them on a regular basis in the "last stop" rehabs. The disease is progressive after all.

Should the OP end up in such a position, I want him to know that he is not alone, that others have been just as hopeless, but we have still found a way out.

On that subject of choice (for the chronic alcoholic) we get a lot of folks in AA who believe they have got back the power of choice, even though our program makes no such claim. The acid test however is to exercise that choice freely. If I could do it again and again either way then I would have the power of choice. I would in effect be a normal drinker.

I am/was an alcoholic tho... Not a "problem drinker"

I think we are not on the same page though as far as what we both mean by "choice." Sometimes it's hard to communicate via text. :-)

I guess let me put it this way. If you were to go out tonight, go out to the store, buy a bottle of Jack Daniels and drink it once you got home. That would be a choice you made. You chose to do that. You chose to drink (in that particular circumstance) Just as you chose to take the steps necessary (for you) to stop drinking.

The point I was trying to make for the OP (great job on Day 1 by the way) was to not remove himself from the situation he himself put himself in. By saying "how did I do this, what happened? Was it me?" Etc... In my experience separates it into two separate entities. Which is not good. I think the OP (and myself at one time ) need to recognize that it is indeed us who put ourselves in that situation / position

Old 05-12-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
I am/was an alcoholic tho... Not a "problem drinker"

I think we are not on the same page though as far as what we both mean by "choice." Sometimes it's hard to communicate via text. :-)

I guess let me put it this way once you got home. That would be a choice you made. If you were to go out tonight, go out to the store, buy a bottle of Jack Daniels and drink it. You chose to do that. You chose to drink (in that particular circumstance) Just as you chose to take the steps necessary (for you) to stop drinking.

The point I was trying to make for the OP (great job on Day 1 by the way) was to not remove himself from the situation he himself put himself in. By saying "how did I do this, what happened? Was it me?" Etc... In my experience separates it into two separate entities. Which is not good. I think the OP (and myself at one time ) need to recognize that it is indeed us who put ourselves in that situation / position

Why would I do such a thing, being sane at the moment? It just wouldn't occur to me. For me to do such a thing would be an act of pure insanity, not rational choice. Picking up a drink is about the craziest thing an alcoholic can do.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Why would I do such a thing, being sane at the moment? It just wouldn't occur to me. For me to do such a thing would be an act of pure insanity, not rational choice. Picking up a drink is about the craziest thing an alcoholic can do.
I agree. It is the craziest thing a alcoholic can do. Yet I did it dozens of times knowing full well where it would lead me.

Why? When I was actively drinking the 2 things that I hated most were:

1. Change
2. The way things were

I was truly trapped in cognitive dissonance. I suffered from alcohol-issues when I drank and I suffered from alcohol-ism when I stopped drinking. The only time that I felt comfortable in my own skin was maybe between drinks 4 - 6. That would only last maybe 20 minutes then drinks 7+ would take me into the Twilight Zone.

Don't remember any of my relapses being a choice either. I just knew that I could not live the rest of my life without booze or I would go stark-raving-sober. Even an alcoholic death started looking good to me after pushing Sisyphus's boulder long enough.

Then I had a spiritual awakening and there was still no choice involved. Alcohol simply quit tempting or looking appealing to me. To this day I don't choose to stay sober. Why should I? I am now sober by default. For me to even think about choices would be a HUGE step backwards. Having a choice would actually be less reliable than the emancipation a spiritual awakening has given me.

"Choices. What choices? We don't need no stinkin choices."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ
Old 05-12-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I agree. It is the craziest thing a alcoholic can do. Yet I did it dozens of times knowing full well where it would lead me.

Why? When I was actively drinking the 2 things that I hated most were:

1. Change
2. The way things were

I was truly trapped in cognitive dissonance. I suffered from alcohol-issues when I drank and I suffered from alcohol-ism when I stopped drinking. The only time that I felt comfortable in my own skin was maybe between drinks 4 - 6. That would only last maybe 20 minutes then drinks 7+ would take me into the Twilight Zone.

Don't remember any of my relapses being a choice either. I just knew that I could not live the rest of my life without booze or I would go stark-raving-sober. Even an alcoholic death started looking good to me after pushing Sisyphus's boulder long enough.

Then I had a spiritual awakening and there was still no choice involved. Alcohol simply quit tempting or looking appealing to me. To this day I don't choose to stay sober. Why should I? I am now sober by default. For me to even think about choices would be a HUGE step backwards. Having a choice would actually be less reliable than the emancipation a spiritual awakening has given me.

"Choices. What choices? We don't need no stinkin choices."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

I am not trying to say "being an alcoholic is a choice" I think.., that is a grey area. I mean I watched my own mother die a painful disgusting death from cirrhosis. I'd like to think she didn't "choose" that... But in some ways she did? )-:

You say you didn't chose to relapse? I mean I guess technically speaking you didn't "choose to relapse" who would ever choose that? BUT you did choose to set the ball in motion and flick the first domino in a row of dominos. If you were sober for some time, and drank after said amount of time sober, thus leading to a relapse ... Then that is a choice. If I were to go out tonight and buy a bottle ... That's me making a choice. Isn't it? I don't see how it's not.

I don't see how you didn't choose to drink. When did it become *not* a choice? Did you chose to drive to the store to get it? Or was that not a choice either? Do you remember that? Did you chose to purchase the alcohol? Did you choose to open the bottle or can? Or were all those indeed choices but it wasn't a choice once the liquid literally hit your mouth? Then did it become "not a choice ?" I don't understand how that can be.

btw- I love these types of of conversations. I am always interested in discussing things such as this with others

(-:
Old 05-12-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi James -- I know where you're coming from, have done it myself. I like this post to you:
Originally Posted by Rainbug View Post
Hi JS. I am only 6 days sober but I know what you are saying. I decided to stop drinking and knowing that if I go to any store that has booze I will drink. So until I get stronger I will not go to one. ... When I think about drinking I come here instead. So needless to say I'm here a lot. But I'm following what others have already been through and take what relates to me.
Rainbug has a plan, not just for when everything's ordinary, but for when cravings hit. When I was first recovering, there were a LOT of changes I had to make to try to keep the "alco-robot" off my back. Sleeping, working, showering, everything.

Start listing your triggers -- and inventing ways to avoid them until you're stronger, or defuse them now.

You can do this!
Old 05-12-2015, 08:59 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
I don't see how you didn't choose to drink. When did it become *not* a choice? Did you chose to drive to the store to get it? Or was that not a choice either? Do you remember that? Did you chose to purchase the alcohol? Did you choose to open the bottle or can? Or were all those indeed choices but it wasn't a choice once the liquid literally hit your mouth? Then did it become "not a choice ?" I don't understand how that can be.
If you were trapped in a burning building and had a "choice" of burning to death or jumping out of a 6th floor window, would you really call it a choice? At some point the hot flames would over-ride any choice and your body would simply go on autopilot.

Yes I was the one who went to the liquor store and bought the bottle. However, my alternative was a living hell. Sobriety was not my idea of a desirable, practical or even a halfway decent choice. Drinking was the only normal life I had known for 30 years and it had stopped working for me.

My so called choice was live miserable drunk / live miserable sober.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:27 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Doctor Bob had cravings for two and a half years everybody path is different. Bill W slept with a fifth over his bed and never drank . Doctor Bob said why leave myself open to temptation. I went to the store tonight and I saw a man walk out with beer I thought for a second maybe I'll just get 2 24oz but the next day it would be three then four then a twelve pack and I would inhale them all. So I played the tape threw I can't ever be a controlled drinker it's just not possible for me. I agree with Doctor Bob when I see people drink I abused the privilege it can no longer be my path are the cravings less at 12 days yes a lot but I'm still trying to find my way out of the jungle.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I get the auto-pilot thing but only to a point. All the way home from work I was saying out loud in the car: "I will not stop an at the liquor store." But I did and don't know how the car got there. I also don't remember being in the store or buying the bottle. BUT, I do remember approaching my car port with the bottle in the seat next to me. I poured the bottle down the drain as soon as I got in the house. I did that many times until the last time when I didn't pour it out but into a glass. I don't know how long I sat there looking at that glass with the phone next to it. I didn't drink it but called AA Central instead. Just sayin... at some point you "wake up" and know what you're doing. It seems to me that somewhere along the line.. maybe putting in the fridge, that lovely sound when you pop one, you made a choice.

What's the plan? I haven't seen you mention your HP. Have you asked for help? There a unlimited things you could do instead of drinking. The one you can do anywhere, anytime, is ask for help. I can't carry a hundred pounds on my shoulders. Its crushing. And I couldn't carry my alcohol problem on them either for the same reason.

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol-that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JamesSquire View Post
Day 1, done.
Now for Day 2, I'm feeling more confident than I have for a long time.
Be aware and "Stick to the plan"
Top of the day to everyone.
JS
Old 05-13-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dsmaxis10 View Post
... I went to the store tonight and I saw a man walk out with beer I thought for a second maybe I'll just get 2 24oz but the next day it would be three then four then a twelve pack and I would inhale them all. So I played the tape threw I can't ever be a controlled drinker it's just not possible for me. I agree with Doctor Bob when I see people drink I abused the privilege it can no longer be my path are the cravings less at 12 days yes a lot but I'm still trying to find my way out of the jungle.

I was in LA last winter and staying near the beach and walking distance to a hiking trail as well. One morning I saw the guy getting high under a tree. I thought to myself wouldn`t it be nice to get some good pot, pour some Kailua into my morning coffee and just let the days sail away? After all I was on vacation. Yet, no matter how I spin it in my head the tape always ends the same way: Bad.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hi JamesSquire!

How's day three going?

As you can see, there are a lot of people here who have been where you are and have learned to stay sober long term! They have achieved sobriety and that's the goal regardless of the program, method or philosophy used.

When I was three days in, I couldn't imagine that sobriety would ever be my default setting....but it is! I don't wrangle with choosing to drink today or not. Alcohol just is not an option for me anymore! Im liberated from the chains of booze and I'm free to live life on my terms now.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:32 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi Brynn
8.30pm here and all is well.
Kept myself busy with my 'to do' list. I only got three quarter way through but I'm happy.
It's cold here now, 12C, I know some of you are going to laugh ... "That's not cold".
Day 3 is done. Have to make my list/plan for tomorrow.
JS
Old 05-14-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
...holds the key

JS...sounds like a busy and productive day! Yay! And I'm glad to hear you're happy!
I had to look up what 12C translated to in Fahrenheit....53......yeah, thats cold! Ha! (I'm in Texas and i think anything under 70F is cold!
Hope you have another good day, but no matter what the day brings you don't have to drink over it!
Old 05-14-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on day 3, glad to hear you already have day 4 planning in the works too.