Notices

Anyone Know of an Antidressant?

Old 05-10-2015, 11:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone Know of an Antidressant?

Does anyone know of an antidepressant that works really well? Really well meaning that it does a good job of increasing the neurotransmitters in the brain such as dopamine or serotonin? If I end up going on an antidepressant, I want to ensure that I go on a good one. Thank you.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Unfortunately there's no one size fits all antidepressant

You really need to speak to your DR JB.

Only they know your clinical history - they can recommend the right treatment for you

D
Old 05-10-2015, 11:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How are they going to know the right medication for me based on my clinical history. That sounds like clinical jargon to me, Dee.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your clinical history is simply your health records - what illnesses you've had, whether you're seeing a psychologist or therapists, and what other medications you're on or have used in the past.

Doctors use that to make informed decisions.

We can share our experience - but we can't recommend meds for you here. It's against our rules.

D
Old 05-10-2015, 11:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I understand the rules, Dee, thank you, as I know you are doing your best. I just wish we could all consult on different meds. It's like one of those barriers from people from getting better. I am all about talking openly and finding answers that help people choose to live.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Google "Post SSRI sexual dysfunction". Some scary stuff.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

justbreathe, IME if you're going to take AD's you're going to go through a few trials to see what produces the desired effect. There's no other way.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The same medicine can react very differently for different people. For one person it may work, and for another person it doesn't. Hence the need for the doctor to get as much information as he/she can to fit the best medicine for you.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi JB,
I was on an antidepressant that made a huge difference to me but my friend on the same medicine and dose felt much worse. There are other factors too such as having high blood pressure, history of seizures, migraines ect that can influence what antidepressants are safe to take and what are not. It would be great if there was one that was excellent for most people but it's not the case. Antidepressants made a massive difference for me but there were some side effects. Good luck with this JB my only regret with antidepressants is not starting them sooner
Old 05-11-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justbreathe1980 View Post
I understand the rules, Dee, thank you, as I know you are doing your best. I just wish we could all consult on different meds. It's like one of those barriers from people from getting better. I am all about talking openly and finding answers that help people choose to live.
When I was diagnosed with cancer, I could have went online and gotten advise from poeple who have absolutley no training, no schooling, no working experience with treating cancer on what I should do to treat it- what medications would help fight it.
But I think that would be rather insane. I chose to let my oncologist- someone with years of schooling , who had been treating it for some time, who had been working with other cancer patients,And who had been working in research for quite some time to make the decisions on what to do.
If we were to consult on different medications...... That could be a serious disaster. Some meds work for some people and those same meds could be deadly for others.
Best to let the doctors do the consulting and prescribing. They have a lot more experience.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have to agree with the others here, justbreathe. I can tell you that I have been given Zoloft two times in my life to my benefit, with no horrible side effects, and with no problems getting off the medicine.

However, I have also read the stories of other SR members for whom Zoloft did not help with the depression, and getting off of it was a nightmare.

I hope that your doctor is someone you can really talk to about this, who will let you know the pros and cons of each medication considered, and will work very hard with you until you are comfortable again.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have depression and fear and I was told the medicine is the steps, that's why im in a twelve step program
Old 05-11-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Talk to a doctor and make sure there's not a real biological problem--only then can the steps be expected to work.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Exercise is the enemy of depression.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

I exercise and keep a healthy diet and on tougher days I'll take 5htp. If you decided t try 5htp do not mix it with an ssri and you may even wanna check with your doctor about it.

For me I chose it as i dont want to take an SSRI and i can not take it for months on end iwth no issue. I dont need to ween myself off it or something.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was rx some AD's a couple years ago. Hated them. I think some people genuinely need them, while others maybe not so much.

I know from your other thread you are still struggling with being able to nail down and commit to sobriety. Totally normal and completely understandable. Something I noticed though, I was far more depressed and convinced I needed a "med" for depression while I was in active addiction and drinking daily. I was sure of it in fact...

I took the meds for awhile (still drank) and guess what? I still felt depressed, and horrible. It is a never ending circle of crappy-ness.

It wasnt until I quit drinking, that I realized that... I didnt necessarily need meds. I started eating better, walking daily (any exercise) and just made a bunch of changes in my life. I SWEAR to you those things help. They help tremendously...

I kept on thinking i could just "take" or "do" something to feel better but I was just fooling myself and trying to avoid the inevitable...which was quitting drinking ya know? That is the most important and can literally change your entire way of thinking.

Like ZJW^^ above me said, diet and exercise can play tremendous roles in overall mental health. I didnt believe it either, I thought it was cliche BS...but its true. 100% true my man!

Be well
Old 05-11-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I can only offer my experience, which I will do gladly, because it has made such a significant improvement in my life. My only regret, is that I didn't start them sooner...

After decades of what I now know was self medicating ( and rather poorly I might add) my anxiety and depression with alcohol, after much cajoling from the good souls here, I went to the doctor desperate for help. I mean, desperate.

She gave me Lexapro, which is known to have a low side effect profile in most people. The first few weeks were challenging. But I remained 100% sober and 100% committed to really giving this medication a try.

I have now been on the lowest effective dose (5mg) for 10 weeks. I have zero side effects now. Including sexual side effects which seem to be one the big concerns in addition to weight gain. But I can see how people would "quit before the miracle" because it amplified my depression and anxiety for a small while.

But goodness was it ever worth it. I am now facing some of my lifes greatest fears and challenges with focus and determination. I do know that you have to be sober in order for the medication to really work.

I wish you well in your search and don't be afraid of doing whatever it takes to make you well...
Old 05-11-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by toqa View Post
I have depression and fear and I was told the medicine is the steps, that's why im in a twelve step program
You are an alcoholic and that's why you are in a 12 step program.
If you have other problems such as clinical depression etc. you should see a professional since we in AA or SR are not doctors.
Here is the link to the conference approved pamphlet regarding medications. It does address depression quite a bit. I like the people's stories http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-11_...ersMedDrug.pdf
Here is an excerpt
In the months that followed, I was hospitalized
many times. Doctors disagreed among themselves about my diagnosis, and my problems in my A.A. group resumed because of all the “medical advice” I was receiving from some A.A.
members. I had to choose between my doctors
and A.A., and I chose A.A. time after time. Each
time I abruptly stopped taking my medication my
symptoms got worse and my suicidal depressions
came back.
The steps are not a cure all. If someone is seriously depressed, they need to get appropriate treatment from a medical professional.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I take an snri. That and CBT have saved my life. Here's the thing though. The medication can only help depression. It doesn't get rid of it completely. Life throws curveball at times and the happiest of people during those times will get a little depressed. It's been my experience that the medication can lessen the severity and duration but not completely eliminate it. To live my happiest I have to live a mindful life. I have to be honest with myself and I have to be sober. Living in recovery is the only way. Otherwise being on a med is just a waste of money
Old 05-11-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your Dr will inform you on options of medication based on what you tell him

Not what we tell you

I mean that in the best way so you get the exact help you need

A f2f with a Dr is not only a lot safer than asking or reading online its the right thing to do

Seeing a Dr regulary is part of my sobriety plan