Old 05-11-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Justbreathe1980 also thanks for talking with me here last night
Old 05-11-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
What a cool saying, least, thank you
That's from Desiderata. Google it. It's a beautiful essay.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Desiderata
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.

© Max Ehrmann 1927
Old 05-11-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Four days would have been an achievement if you'd been chilling and working half days, and had someone to cook dinner for you, and give you hugs.

You have done four days without ANY of those things. Go you! Bl**dy amazing! Congratulations - what a fantastic effort to start your 90 days.

And things will get better. Things will get easier. This pain will pass, and you will learn to appreciate yourself for the amazing person that you are. Keep going. We're all here, willing you on, and you really should be proud of yourself.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks Beccybean I hope so. I have the next five days off- this weird all or nothing schedule I have. So I have to make sure I stay on track.

You know I have goals of not drinking, exercising and eating right. But not seeing immediate results always discourages me. I know it's not right to expect things to change immediately but time seems eternal while not drinking.

Wait, I think it is eternal. Duh. So it's not me after all lol.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I try to emulate my dogs and cats and just live in the moment, as they do. We go for the same walks every day but they're always excited as if it were a new route.

Be patient. Change will happen a little at a time.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Justbreathe1980 also thanks for talking with me here last night
Your welcome. I feel like we are sort of in the same boat because of our new sobriety. It is just so hard for me because my husband drinks, but I very much love him. I guess I just need to be that much stronger. Day by day. Hey, at least I have a sponsor now, so that is good news. Makes me feel like there is some hope now, lol.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Justbreathe, that sounds so hard, can your sponsor help with that situation at home? Or can one do AA as well as Al Anon? I think Al Anon is for family and friends of addicts?
Old 05-11-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Justbreathe, that sounds so hard, can your sponsor help with that situation at home? Or can one do AA as well as Al Anon? I think Al Anon is for family and friends of addicts?
I don't know if my sponsor can help with this situation. My husband just left to go get beer and he asked if I wanted some, and I told him "no" calmly. But it is hard. I tried out Al-Anon, and it is helpful. There is just so much that I feel overwhelmed. I am trying to stay calm throughout all of this. Having this disease is not easy, and I wish my family understood that more. They get upset when I drink, but I wonder if they would be able to get sober if they were alcoholics too.

I guess this is my plan for today:
(1) Already exercised
(2) Stay sober
(3)And go to a meeting, even though it is my husband's day off.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh, that is hard. I know because my BF was a drinker too and we loved doing this together in the beginning- quitting was no trouble for him, I'm in way deeper.
There must be others in AL Anon who are fighting alcoholism while living with a drinker. It sounds quite overwhelming. Does your husband have any desire to stop?
Old 05-11-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

He has no desire to stop. It is very sad. I asked him if he wanted to come to a meeting tonight, and he got very upset and said no.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Desiderata
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.

© Max Ehrmann 1927
Thanks for posting that, I had never read it. It's tremendous.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Desiderata means "things that are needed or desired".