Notices

Be Careful About Sponsors

Old 05-10-2015, 09:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Be Careful About Sponsors

I am writing this thread to express my thoughts on the idea of having sponsors. There were two women who I recently almost asked to be my sponsor, but I inevitably decided not to go with them because of a gut feeling.

Today I called one of these women on the phone after struggling with a relapse the previous day. And do you know what she told me on the phone, knowing that I was in a vulnerable position? She said, "Why are you calling me. And why do you ever call me. Shouldn't you be calling your sponsor." I told her that maybe I should call someone else, and she agreed. My point is that I am so grateful that this woman did not end up being my sponsor. You should not just be available to someone because you are their sponsor, but people should make themselves available for anyone in need. This experience taught me that although this person had over 1 year of sobriety, she is still a very cold person. I think I handled the situation well by not getting angry at her and instead just praying for her.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Sounds like someone who hasn't yet recovered. You can be like her if you wish. Just do what she does. Or find a sponsor that has taken the steps and recovered, and do what they did.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, it does sound like someone who has not yet recovered. I have to mention this, though, as it sooooooo funny! So we finally had a pamphlet that we could take home that this woman is the secretary of. The pamphlet was so helpful! But guess what? The last page had member birthdays on it, and hers was on it for a year. She only handed out t this "helpful" pamphlet at the meeting because she wanted the acknowledgement the having celebrated a year.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've had sooo many woman with "time" in the program flake on me too. Really upsetting bc I was so love bombed by so many woman at first , it always brought up trust issues