Notices

Work and stuff

Old 05-09-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Work and stuff

So my line of work is in healthcare (I realize the irony) and tonight I'm remembering a woman I met once while working in an emergency psychiatry unit. She was quite a bit older than me but it was incredible how much of myself I saw in her. Just very similar life stories. She had experienced a long history of alcohol abuse and multiple stints in recovery but she continued to struggle with the addiction. Her mother was clearly at her wit's end trying to save her adult daughter, which was heartbreaking. I felt so much empathy for this woman - she seemed to be an example of what my life would/will become if I don't get this sorted out. I so badly wanted to share with her how much I could relate and understood what she was going through but obviously that wouldn't have been appropriate. I spent all day caring for her, while still in the back of my mind knowing I was about to go do the same thing she had done as soon as I went home. I don't know what eventually happened to her but I hope she's doing well. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Old 05-09-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I don't work in healthcare but I have seen other people with alcohol or drug problems in my workplace that I cannot speak to because of work privacy policies. It is difficult to know what we know and not say anything, but then again it probably wouldn't do much if they aren't ready to accept it anyway.