Notices

Here I go again!

Old 05-07-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here I go again!

I type this 13 beers into my fifth try at one day sober. I am still glad to be typing this now, as it means I have a better understanding but still can't control my impulsive need. I only hope the support here and knowledge I have gained thru it will continue to bring my total awareness and progression out of this cycle. Thank you for understanding and this is a long journey that has just begone!
Old 05-07-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would say you probably need to start about 13 beers ago....can you switch to water for the evening?
Old 05-07-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi.
Try to remember that we get just so many relapse passes then misery steps in for real.

I suggest to get rid of the BS wishy washy things we tell ourselves with 13 beers in the system and get rid of the undisciplined obsession thinking process. It’s time for positive action and that’s not drinking one day at a time in a row if you really want to get sober. If you don’t, continue drinking, it’s your choice.

For positive action try thinking of not drinking even if you’re A$$ falls off. That’s a start.

BE WELL
Old 05-07-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think you can think yourself sober NePal...
For the vast majority of us, things have got to start with action.

There's a lot of support here for that initial rough period

I agree with Scott - dump the rest, drink some water - your inner addict will hate it, but you'll thank yourself tomorrow

D
Old 05-07-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Hi.
Try to remember that we get just so many relapse passes then misery steps in for real.

I suggest to get rid of the BS wishy washy things we tell ourselves with 13 beers in the system and get rid of the undisciplined obsession thinking process. It’s time for positive action and that’s not drinking one day at a time in a row if you really want to get sober. If you don’t, continue drinking, it’s your choice.

For positive action try thinking of not drinking even if you’re A$$ falls off. That’s a start.

BE WELL
I agree with this about only being given so many relapses before total misery slips in. I was given many relapses, and I believe I was at the end of my rope for my last relapse, as I am not too sure I had too many more in me. I don't know for sure, but it is just a gut feeling.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Gotta admit, this post kind of hit me weird. In my early struggles I avoided coming here when I was a 12 pack or more deep because I felt like I hadn't earned my chip. I guess if your perspective was that you stopped at 13 when you always drink 26 then you succeeded in cutting down than great. It's certainly not sober though. Please come back and try to get some real sober days with us and we'll cheer you all the way.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I type this 13 beers into my fifth try at one day sober.

uh....13 cups of coffee and i'd agree it was a try at one day sober.
drinking is just drinking, not an attempt to be sober.

with that said, i have to add that i tried a gazillion times.
what finally worked was a bunch of stuff, built around and on top of not drinking. not drinking is the essential of a try at being sober.

maybe come back when you're not 13 drinks in and chat about what you can do before you drink again for your sixth attempt
Old 05-07-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What you read here while 13 beers in isn't going to sink in or be retained. I hope you come back and read what you wrote when you're sober.

I tried a bunch of times like you to quit. 8 beers in I'd promise myself that I'd quit. Didn't work that way. Best way to quit is to not pick up that first one. And do it. Not think about doing it. I didn't think my way into sobriety.

Switch to water. Get some rest. Start again tomorrow.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Actually, you CAN control that impulsive need. It's not easy, but there are lots of folks here that do it. Are you ready to take on that challenge? It certainly took me a while. The decision is so... final. One thing that I can say for certain is that your situation will continue to worsen until you stop.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Quitting drinking always seemed incredibly doable and possible with a strong buzz and drink in my hand. Literally, I would have the deepest thoughts and make the most practical plans as I sat there drinking. I hope you can update us tomorrow on your first day.

I actually felt confident for many years in my quit tomorrow plan. Ask a smoker if they think they can quit tomorrow while they're smoking and they'll probably say "totally" and even plan on ditching the cigarettes and joining a gym. Ask them again tomorrow when they are stuck in traffic after a long day-from-hell at work.

I can tell you that no day is easier to quit than any other. Well, okay, New Year's Eve might be a tough day to stop but the only problem is the new year's eves keep coming around just like the birthdays, weekends, and concerts.

Make tomorrow your day one. I thought I'd rather eat glass than make today my day one but if I can do it you can too. Day ones are hard because "today" is last night's tomorrow. You only have to have one day one.

Your post after 13 beers reminds me of me when I was drinking because I could compose coherent paragraphs with perfect spelling like you're doing, after quantities of alcohol that would give a non-drinker alcohol poisoning, room spins, and projectile vomiting. I've been there man. We are here to support you.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NePaLoser View Post
I type this 13 beers into my fifth try at one day sober. I am still glad to be typing this now, as it means I have a better understanding but still can't control my impulsive need. I only hope the support here and knowledge I have gained thru it will continue to bring my total awareness and progression out of this cycle. Thank you for understanding and this is a long journey that has just begone!

I mean no disrespect, but come back tomorrow. When sober. Making a "plan" to quit drinking... While literally drinking is rather easy, I did it dozens of times. It's not so hard ya know? Because when I was drunk... Of course quitting seemed daunting but I was drunk, which meant I was in a "good mood" I was on top of the world. I HAD MY FIX

The real work... And the real dedication will come tomorrow when you wake up. Don't drink. Just for tomorrow, just when you wake up and the euphoria of "quitting drinking" has left you and you feel like arse and want to drink. Don't, don't do it, post here instead. It's going to suck, it's gonna suck bad. But don't drink. Tomorrow. When you see this, don't drink.
We will be here for you.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am 40 minutes from Day 4 and not regretting my decision. You can do it!
Old 05-07-2015, 11:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justbreathe1980 View Post
I am 40 minutes from Day 4 and not regretting my decision. You can do it!

Well done
Old 05-08-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

NePa...how are you today?