Notices

Doctors can't help can you ?

Old 05-07-2015, 03:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
EndGame

You've described some of the classic symptoms of panic attacks, M100. A psych eval might help to clarify your situation.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

What EndGame said. Most of what you have described sound very familiar to me. For, me, it's anxiety and some of the symptoms you mentioned are quite severe ones. I went through similar phases earlier in my life (long before drinking became a problem), experiencing these things off and on. I also ran to the doctors, even to the ER, a few times thinking I was having a heart attack or some mysterious neurological problem. Or te end of the world. They did all medical tests possible and never found anything. Of course, the kind of professionals that could have truly told me what was happening were not part of my medical team... I figured out it was anxiety for me totally on my own later, after experiencing these things periodically for many years. Honestly, I was also quite mad at the doctors that examined me earlier, not a single one mentioned anxiety to me, just treated me as if I were a hypochondriac. And of course when I was drinking heavily later in life, it took all that to extremes, but at the time I knew what was going on.

After getting sober, I finally got the right kind of help. I actually had the worst spells at ~4 months sober, and then around 8-9 months, but most of it went away later. I choose not to take medication for my anxiety and these days it's pretty mild if I have it at all, despite my life being everything but stress-free. I've learned many natural coping strategies to deal with it and some of them are extremely effective for me. I have not had panic attacks for a long time now and even when I had them in the past, being very familiar with what they were helped me a lot to keep the severity down.

One thing I like to mention because I had an awful experience with it in the past that triggered those symptoms more than alcohol (or withdrawal) even: the sweetener aspartame. It was a long time ago when the adverse effects were not well known, and it took me months to figure out (again, on my own) what was making me feel like dying all the time. Stay away from that stuff if you can. Also, I really suggest that you see someone who specializes in mental health if the regular doctors and tests identify nothing, PAWS or not. If it's anxiety like for me, it may or may not be related to your past drinking at this point. Many people who are prone to it need no triggers at all, it's caused by chemical fluctuations in the brain.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
What EndGame said. Most of what you have described sound very familiar to me. For, me, it's anxiety and some of the symptoms you mentioned are quite severe ones. I went through similar phases earlier in my life (long before drinking became a problem), experiencing these things off and on. I also ran to the doctors, even to the ER, a few times thinking I was having a heart attack or some mysterious neurological problem. Or te end of the world. They did all medical tests possible and never found anything. Of course, the kind of professionals that could have truly told me what was happening were not part of my medical team... I figured out it was anxiety for me totally on my own later, after experiencing these things periodically for many years. Honestly, I was also quite mad at the doctors that examined me earlier, not a single one mentioned anxiety to me, just treated me as if I were a hypochondriac. And of course when I was drinking heavily later in life, it took all that to extremes, but at the time I knew what was going on.

After getting sober, I finally got the right kind of help. I actually had the worst spells at ~4 months sober, and then around 8-9 months, but most of it went away later. I choose not to take medication for my anxiety and these days it's pretty mild if I have it at all, despite my life being everything but stress-free. I've learned many natural coping strategies to deal with it and some of them are extremely effective for me. I have not had panic attacks for a long time now and even when I had them in the past, being very familiar with what they were helped me a lot to keep the severity down.

One thing I like to mention because I had an awful experience with it in the past that triggered those symptoms more than alcohol (or withdrawal) even: the sweetener aspartame. It was a long time ago when the adverse effects were not well known, and it took me months to figure out (again, on my own) what was making me feel like dying all the time. Stay away from that stuff if you can. Also, I really suggest that you see someone who specializes in mental health if the regular doctors and tests identify nothing, PAWS or not. If it's anxiety like for me, it may or may not be related to your past drinking at this point. Many people who are prone to it need no triggers at all, it's caused by chemical fluctuations in the brain.
I quit diet coke 9 days ago and am starting to feel more normal without caffeine and aspartame coursing through me. It was a really rough four days but I have no desire to ever drink it again.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The processed sugars (I think I gradually upped my intake from a lot, to a lot more when I stopped drinking alcohol) really took a toll on me. My emotions were all over the place. When I'm successful in cutting them out I feel much better. Today I found a stash of chocolate in my desk drawer at work and absent mindedly tucked into them. Tummy has started bloating now and I know I need to get away from the stuff tomorrow or my moods will be all over the place and that in itself is a threat to my sobriety. Horrid, nasty stuff (but it tastes so gooooood).
I also had 1:1 counselling and threw myself into the AA 12-steps, and that helped massively.

I hope you feel better soon - I remember that bleak place and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

PS You've probably already seen this info about PAWs but here's the link just in case you haven't... PAWS | Digital Dharma
Old 05-07-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
3 months is awesome. Especially with what you're dealing with, which is also pretty much the way I felt in early sobriety. You described my panic attacks quite well. Everything would be totally fine, and then I'd get hit out of nowhere. First the dread feeling, then the lingering depression and fear that it would return. You didn't mention whether or not you're doing anything other than not drinking. I know for me, there is no way I would have gotten better by just not drinking. The anxiety, panic, and depression had to be treated along with my laying a solid foundation to never pick up a drink, no matter what. Like you, I went without medication, and I'm happy I did. It wasn't fun, but I believe it's because of that, that I'm now free from those attacks that crippled me. But again, they didn't just stop because I put the bottle down. I had to take action, and in the beginning I went hardcore. Quick list of things I remember specifically doing: - Therapy (1 on 1) - Group therapy - Physical exercise - Relaxation exercise (daily) - No coffee! - I quit processed sugar a bit down the line because the anxiety and panic returned, and found out that was causing it. - Started eating more healthfully - I dove completely into AA. - I dove into the 12 steps. - Prayed a lot. - Read tons of literature. AA literature, anxiety and panic attack books, and positive thinking books. I needed to reprogram my brain. - I practiced accepting the panic, and learned to wedge an outside thought into my head when attacks occurred. One simple thought is enough to take the edge off, and make it more tolerable. - Practiced (literally lying on my bed at times) accepting ALL my feelings, knowing I'd be okay, regardless of what they were. Helped me learn to accept them, as opposed to run from them. Later on in my sobriety I found other things that were important for dealing with some not so debilitating anxiety, and depression. Drinking lots and lots of water is important, and I found supplementing with vitamin D to be helpful. Pretty sure I had a deficiency, though I've never been tested. It's not a vitamin though that should be toyed with as it's not water soluble and can be harmful in large doses. Anyhow... I didn't change everything overnight, and the anxiety/panic/depression didn't disappear overnight either. I made as many changes as I could in the beginning, and then kept on listening to my mind and body, and trusting that so long as I was open to healing, it would come. It has. Took me a little over 2 years to feel and function like a normal human being again, but the journey was awesome. I feel completely free of all the gunk you spoke about in your OP, and know that that's something I never want to return to. No desire to ever drink again whatsoever. I don't think any of that happens though by just putting down the alcohol. I think we have to want a different, better life - open ourselves up to getting it- and then keep putting one foot in front of the other without ever picking up a drink again, no matter what.
Thanks for your help , your words of recovery will really help me
Old 05-07-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Forgive me if you already know about this, but I'm very familiar with what you describe - panic attacks, and for the longest time I did not know that - in my case - they were made much worse because of hyperventilation.

Forget the cartoon image of a heavy breathing sweaty person; hyperventilation can be very subtle, almost invisible, but can cause you to think you are having a heart attack, blurred vision, out of body experience etc. It's not dangerous, worst case is you faint which ironically restores normal breathing. It can also be prevented and/or managed by learning simple breathing techniques.

Anxiety and hyperventilation often go hand in hand, so perhaps you can ask your doc about it. It's not the cause of your problems, but it can make them much worse, hence my post.