Notices

24, Heavy Binge Drinker trying again

Old 05-03-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

24, Heavy Binge Drinker trying again

Hi,

I'm 24, male. I have been binge drinking since about age 17. Though I drink socially, most of the time I'm in my room playing video games or watching something. I just like to do most things with a buzz as an "enhancer" of an activity.

Quantity wise it started off once a week for a year, about 20-25 units. But slowly got more frequent and more units per session. At peak I was binge drinking at-least 4 times a week and usually at least 28 units a time, but could be more on occasion.

I went to inpatient detox in Aug 2014 for 1 week but was drinking again 3 weeks later. I've been drinking since. The past 2 months I've really been going crazy with it, with sessions seemingly every other day. I had bloods done again and the liver ones are getting worse so I have an appointment on Thur with the Alcohol Service. This Friday I went on a bit of a bender, drinking a litre of vodka over about 24hrs.

I am determined to stop again, I'm getting bored of it all now and its definitely affecting my health. Most obvious way is my weight. When I was 17 I had a 28 inch waist and was very athletic. Now I weigh 115kg and have a 44 inch waist. Not only the calories from the booze but the hangover eating and lack of motivation to exercise being the cause. Not to mention my liver which is getting enlarged and is no doubt fatty.

So yeah just checking in! Hi!
Old 05-03-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back. Any plans for what you might try differently this time? Can we help you come up with a plan?
Old 05-03-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back!!
Old 05-03-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

D
Old 05-03-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey there. I'm new to this forum, but your story is alike mine.

I'm 25, and I've also made excuses for getting "just a buzz" when I very well know that I am in fact a binge drinker. It's never just that, and it never will be; being a binge-drinker is always all-or-nothing.

I'm sorry that the treatment didn't stick with you, but give yourself credit for openly placing yourself into recovery for what you clearly understand is a problem. Would you consider retrying a detox house, or is there a reason why the treatments didn't work other than will-power?

I also symphathize with your weight. My waist hasn't grown, and I still look thin and agile, but my stomach is increasingly blowing up. I'm repulsed by this change in me, and every day I ball up my stomach fat and am saddened/angered.
But it's one more reason to really, really quit, right!
Old 05-03-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sobritishty View Post
Hi, I'm 24, male. I have been binge drinking since about age 17. Though I drink socially, most of the time I'm in my room playing video games or watching something. I just like to do most things with a buzz as an "enhancer" of an activity. Quantity wise it started off once a week for a year, about 20-25 units. But slowly got more frequent and more units per session. At peak I was binge drinking at-least 4 times a week and usually at least 28 units a time, but could be more on occasion. I went to inpatient detox in Aug 2014 for 1 week but was drinking again 3 weeks later. I've been drinking since. The past 2 months I've really been going crazy with it, with sessions seemingly every other day. I had bloods done again and the liver ones are getting worse so I have an appointment on Thur with the Alcohol Service. This Friday I went on a bit of a bender, drinking a litre of vodka over about 24hrs. I am determined to stop again, I'm getting bored of it all now and its definitely affecting my health. Most obvious way is my weight. When I was 17 I had a 28 inch waist and was very athletic. Now I weigh 115kg and have a 44 inch waist. Not only the calories from the booze but the hangover eating and lack of motivation to exercise being the cause. Not to mention my liver which is getting enlarged and is no doubt fatty. So yeah just checking in! Hi!
Welcome Sobritirishty,

I'm 24 as well and have found getting sober is quite difficult as my friends are mostly around my age and are still partying like they're in college still. My weight gain was one of the biggest wake up calls for me, in addition to going to work in the morning still partially drunk or hungover. I hope you are able to get sober

I've found that I'm missing out on a lot of parties and crazy nights, but I'm really learning to enjoy doing things sober like being productive on Sunday's instead of recovering from the night before. Do you have a sober plan yet? That helped me immensely as I found a lot of hobbies, such as reading and jogging, that make me even happier than drinking ever did.