Notices

Help Me!

Old 04-30-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help Me!

I am by all means a functional alcoholic, currently consuming 12-20 beers a day while caring for my kids and holding a job etc.. I have been drinking almost all my life since teen years ( 44 now) it has progressed to the point that I'm here and need to reach out. I love my wife and three kids, they are all doing well as I push they daily for but now I can't control myself. Have been put on meds (for depression) but only think they bring this out more. I have been looking over sites on the net for weeks and decided to reach out on this one. Almost all I think about anymore.... I need some help!
Old 04-30-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome NePal - I don't think you're a loser

The support understanding and encouragement I got here really helped me turn my life around -
I know we can help you do the same

Do you have any ideas on how you'll quit/stay quit?

D
Old 04-30-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR! You will find a lot of support and understanding here. I had a very similar story to yours, eventually drinking was an unbearable burden for me too. Your best bet at this point would be to speak with your doctor before quitting and being honest about the amounts that you are consuming. Withdrawals can be potentially dangerous, especially when consumption is as extreme as you have been drinking. Alcohol is a depressant itself, so it is possibly negating any meds you are taking, not to mention the danger of mixing with alcohol.

The good news is that there is a way out, and life is far better on the sober side. And the withdrawals are only temporary.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

NePaLoser - We're so glad to meet you. Not being alone anymore meant everything when I first joined SR. It took away the anxiety I'd been feeling to have others to talk things over with. We all understand what you're going through.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I first came here I read how alcohol is a depressant and I also have heard that for years and blatantly ignored it.
I could not believe how my thought process and attitude changed after 3 to 4 months of staying away from booze and my mind heals a bit everyday.
You can quit, I drank lots of beer everyday as well but it's so worth the fight and every day you'll get stronger.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! You are now part of a really big family of people who understand what you are going through, and are here to support you every step of the way.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-30-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome NeP to Sober Recovery. I drank 9 beers last night, went to bed feeling lousy, and the only way I could get through the night was to promise myself that I had a chance to start over today at Day 1. I refuse to beat myself up over this addiction. I decided to just take the day very easy by running and then going over to my parent's house for dinner. I also got my car's scratches fixed for only $25 by someone I found on the Internet. I decided not to go to a meeting today, as I just wanted to detox on Day 1 by myself. And here I am, on Day 1 sober and feeling pretty well. I am going to decide for myself what my plan for abstinence is, as I am unsure right now. Wishing you all the best!
Old 04-30-2015, 09:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So glad youre reaching out. What a big step!
Keep us posted and best of luck
Old 04-30-2015, 10:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on reaching out! As you know, 12-20 beers a day is a large volume of alcohol. I was up there at the end of my "functional" alcoholic stage, before I went non-functional - we can't keep that up for long before the negative consequences start piling up. It's sooo much easier to stop it all early, before it gets really really hard.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 05-01-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome Nepal its nice to meet you
Old 05-01-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
zjw

I can relate. I held down a job took care of the kids etc... all while punishing the beers or whatever booze i could find each night. Unless I was falling down drunk and passing out i wasnt going to bed. My life revolved around that bottle. I hated to go anywhere after work as it might interfere with my drinking time. I'd then wake up each morning hating life wishing my alarm clocks snooze button was a revolvers trigger instead. It'd go offf i'd rather die then face another day. I'd think "kill me now".

Now I have almost 4 years sobriety and things have completely turned around. There is hope its not easy but it can be done. Feel free to PM me if you like or need to be talked off that edge.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know some people are functional alcoholics, however I would bet you still are different when you drink. I could get my baby off of the bus, cook dinner, read books, do homework, ect, all while getting drunk as a skunk. But I wasn't doing as good of a job as I do when I am sober. I bet although you are functional your family would prefer you sober.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I was a functioning alcoholic until I was barely functioning. Good thing you are reaching out for help now and not when you get to the bottom.

Do you have any ideas about where you want to go from here?
Old 05-01-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum NePal!!