Notices

Out Of Body Experience

Old 04-28-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Out Of Body Experience

Not to be vague, but has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

I have on several occasions while under the influence and once while sober. I am highly anti-religion but these instances have led me to cling to a possibility that there is more to this life than what we know here on Earth.

Anyone else have a story to share?

I have to take some time to try and remember the details of my experiences, as I'm feeling quite foggy lately. Give me another day and I'll write it down. Sorry
Old 04-28-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As a young child the small town dentist used to send us to the moon with laughing gas. I always hoped I would have cavities so I could wear the Happy Man mask as it was called. I distinctly remember being so high once that I was floating outside of my body in the corner of the room watching the dentist and assistant over me working on my teeth. I couldn't have been over 7 or 8 but it was so much fun. I should have known I was in trouble already then hehehe.

I've also had two adult experiences of being out of body and existing in two separate places at one time, but that's all that needs to be said about that.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've had lucid dreams, often that were like oobe's.

Thanks for reminding me Lance. Yes, I recall the time DR Asher put the happy mask on me when I was young. I remember my face turning into a skull and my feet hitting the ceiling ...
Old 04-29-2015, 03:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I recommend reading Life After Life by Raymond Moody and The Handbook of Near-death Experiences by Janice Holden, Bruce Greyson, and Debbie James. Both books have some interesting things to say about the spirituality of NDEs and OOBEs.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

GroundhogDay makes some excellent suggestions. Ray Moody is very good, I thought. Brad Steiger (I think) had some interesting thoughts on these too.

I've had lucid dreaming and several OOBE Always while sober. Very odd.

Love from Lenina
Old 04-29-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Used to spend time in sensory deprivation tanks. The first couple of times I hallucinated big time and even felt like I left my body.

However, eventually it just got mundane. The thrill was gone, just like drugs and alcohol.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

Never really had it happen while i was not sober that i can recall well anyway. But once while giving blood i went down and floated above my body and I was leaving the blood mobile flying.

Sometmes when i'm out running i leave my body Normally I'll just float above my body and watch while my body runs on auto pilot without me. But I had one occaision where I was running on my treadmill and left my body to join some family for a fun run around the valley it was very vivid and real was a lot of fun.

While running I tend to zone out and go other places so I dont think there is anything wrong with me and its always a very peaceful expierience.

There was one time while giving blood I passed out while down I thought i had passed out drunk and wet myself i was terrified my wife would kill me when i came too. When i came too i found myself at the lab getting the blood draw and they had thrown water on me to try and get me to come too. Hence why i felt wet and thought i wet myself so there i was waking up from my stuper grabbing my crotch to see if i had wet myself *sigh* and No I had not been drinking. But I didnt leave my body that time.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes...and no. I can't explain some of the sensations I've had--drunk or sober. I Identify as a full-on atheist because 51% or more of my convictions fall into the "you be bullshipping" side and at that point one must pick a side. I question everything and have biases. My previous house gave me "shudders"--kind of a sleep-paralysis thing, but the feeling of something powerful passing over me whilst lying--before sleep. Lotsa good stuff on the net to 'splain this away but this was a 10:1 ratio of occurrences from 1 house. It was a spooky place. Not sure if our collective "spookiness" at the time was a factor. Drinking heavily WAS....a factor. I've also seen and heard things on meth that I'm not so sure are NOT there (never was my thing but I've been there)....just beyond the veil. As a Buddhist I try to cultivate a healthy distrust for the mind. Even sober I have many irrational thoughts. I now believe if we don't look at them and dismiss them directly they can build and come back like lice (bad analogy but thoughts need a host). Anyhoo, this is the role I play. The rest is still open for interpretation.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have not had one of these experiences, but now that I am sober i'm finding that my mind is vastly more powerful than I ever imagined, both in a good and a bad way. Counseling really helps!
Old 04-29-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

These 3 guys are interesting on the topic :

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...illiam+buhlman

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y=tom+campbell

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...eden+alexander