Notices

30 vs 90 day inpatient

Old 04-28-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

30 vs 90 day inpatient

Hi everyone,

My husband is an alcoholic and in the past has been addicted to prescription pain pills. He did an outpatient program last year and then tried AA for a bit but never truly recovered. He's been on a downward spiral since about December and this past weekend the kids and I left to stay in a hotel because I've finally had enough. He says that he is ready to enter an inpatient rehab program and asked for my help locating one. The counselor I spoke with who is helping me to locate a treatment facility recommended a 90 day stay. Does anyone have experience with either a 30 day program or a 90 day program? I have a feeling he's not going to want to do 90 days. Personally I would rather him do 90 days now and tackle all of his issues so he has a better chance of truly recovering.

How effective are 30 day programs? Should I let him make this decision on his own or push for the 90 day program?
Old 04-28-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovered

I've done them all. Outpatient, inpatient, 30-60-90-180+ days. Rehab, AA, RR, whatever didn't work because *I* didn't work.

I didn't stay sober until I was DONE drinking/drugging. Then I skipped the rehab and went right to AA. Got a therapist. Made a PLAN. I followed the plan and did everything AA and the plan told me to do. Best decision I ever made.

Glad you are here.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would leave that decision up to him and the doctors/counselors at the programs, they can better assess his situation. I would also recommend that he be involved in the process...if he is unwilling to do so, it's possible that the treatment itself wont' really do much anyway. It's fine to "help" him if he asked, but at the end of the day it's his recovery and he has to be in charge of it. Even a 90 day rehab cannot "fix" him if he is unwillling to be fixed unfortunately.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your responses. That is pretty much what I thought. I was really hesitant to even get involved because my feeling was that if he really wanted it he'd find a way to make it happen but this morning he pretty much begged for my help saying he didn't know where to begin looking. (Which really is ridiculous...this man has a college degree and is a very talented teacher.). There have been a lot of words but not a lot of action on his part and he doesn't seem to understand why just saying he's sorry and ready to quit drinking isn't enough. *sigh*. I guess I'll just give him whatever information I find and let time tell if he really does want to get better.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck HM hope he chooees recovery have you checked out our friends & family section ?
Old 04-28-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

30 days seems too short...
Old 04-28-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

30 days works for many but its hard to beat a 90 day program if one wants to be real serious about their sobriety