Notices

When was the time?

Old 04-28-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When was the time?

When you finally had enough and said "I will not drink from this day on." And stuck to it?
Old 04-28-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

April 6 2007.
It was change or die, bh.

D
Old 04-28-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I tried to quit many many times for many many reasons. But the last time (the one that worked). I think the thing that was the straw that broke the camels back. Was I realized i was averaging 8 beers on a 45 minute drive home from work. Thats somewhere around a beer every 5.5 minutes. I had a "WELL DUH" moment and realized there was no wonder I couldn't do anything. I realized I was a slave or like in prison,and all I had to do was stop.
Yea right,thats all I had to do But i did it.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day of days(D-Day) June 6th, 2006

"Do miracles happen?"
Yes.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
getting that power back.

I knew for a long time, but I hit an emotional bottom that I couldn't drink away. no amount of drinking could take it away; in fact, it made me worse. I turned into a person I wouldn't like if I met me and the shame became too much to carry on my own.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

January 7, 2013 for me. I had quit for extended periods of time before that, but that was the day I made the vow/commitment/realization that it HAD to end then and now.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bh28 View Post
When you finally had enough and said "I will not drink from this day on." And stuck to it?
Never, I broke that promise many times.

However, March 6, 93 I left an AA meeting for the first time and felt as I walked down the street the desire to drink was gone.

Of course, I didn't tell anyone outside of my wife I was in AA because I honestly didn't know if I would stay sober.

But I have done just that one day at a time.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

January 25, 2014. I think my obsessiveness came to my advantage then because I had some things in my life that I was so attached to, I could not bear the thought of losing them. That, and I could not look at me in a mirror (including my internal one) anymore. I think the proverbial "cognitive dissonance" kicked my a$$ enough times and painfully enough so that I had to get some serious butt surgery. And then I liked the new look, and now I'm attached to sobriety
Old 04-28-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

September of last year. It was a process for me, it felt like my insides had quit working or at least heading that way. I drank my last on the 11th and get better everyday.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

It may not politically correct but I eased my way into sobriety. I had become physically dependent on alcohol and suffered a serious withdrawal that landed me in the hospital.

In the beginning all I knew was that I could not continue like I was or I was going to die but even then the thought of drinking again was still an option in my befuddled mind.

I went to professional treatment and AA. At about 6 months the fog had cleared enough that I admitted to myself that I would never be able to drink like other people and that if I started drinking again I would be right back to where I started. It was at this point I started seriously considering never drinking again but that thought was just too scary. My logical mind was screaming you moron if you drink you die. My alcoholic mind was saying there may be a way if we can just figure it out.

At about the one year mark I started working the steps and saw just how powerless I was and how unmanageable my life had become. It was then that quitting drinking forever seemed like the only real solution.

Even though I plan on never drinking again I only work on today. Maybe I will drink tomorrow maybe not but tomorrow has not come so I will do what I need to do today to maintain my sobriety.

First full day of sobriety 7.24.2009
Old 04-28-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

i had bad panic attacks. it went on for a good while before i realized what they really even where I just thought I was dieing all the itme when it happened. and I'd imagine the casue of death to be any number of htings but death was always an imenant and terrifying feeling. I tried this and that to get those panic attacks to stop.

Then i read that drinking could cause them and as a last ditched effort to fix the panic issues i put down the bottle. I figured it wouldnt work or I wouldnt be able to stick with it. Or i'd just quit for a month and then maybe drink moderatly or something.

But here i am almost 4 years later still sober and rarely have panic attacks anymore.

Sure i had a ton of other problems and reasons to quit but I think i woulda let my life burn down around me before i ever gave up drinking the panic attacks however hit home. Thank god for them.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
getting that power back.

I also suffered from panic attacks and anxiety. when I began educating myself, I realized that the alcohol was making everything ten times worse.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When the pain of getting drunk exceeded the pain of reality.
Although I didn't say Ill never drink again, I did say if I don't stop drinking and get help I will kill myself.
It doesn't have to get that bad and I hope and pray yo don't let it.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Not to be flippant, but this made me laugh. I've said to myself I'd never drink again so many times I've lost count. Just another reminder that I have a problem with alcohol but solving that problem is far easier said than done. I can't guarantee anything anymore, which is why I'm trying not to make any more proclamations that might not turn out to be true.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I never said that, I felt it though.

For me, it was very simple. It was a moment of clarity, a feeling that was so real and very simple. I surrendered. I knew I could not live like that anymore and remain, what I thought at the time, was sane.

I called AA and as soon as I walked into that meeting I knew it was finally over. A feeling of relief washed over me and I felt for the first time at peace. I was home.

I have remained sober one day at a time. My sobriety date is 03/24/2013.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

January 19 2013, I was sitting in the dark drinking and feeling very depressed and suicidal. I was like: "screw that, I m tired of that crap". Something clicked in my head and I saw clearly that I had two choices: quit and get back in recovery or kill myself.
I finished my beer and did not go out for more, I went to bed early.
January 20, 2013 is my sobriety date.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

July 14th 2013 like D it really was live or die
Old 04-28-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

April 1st (April Fools' Day) 2013 - I wasn't going to be an alcoholic fool any longer, lol. Any foolishness on my part now is non-alcoholic
Old 04-28-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

October 15th 1999. I couldn't live that way anymore. I had an insurance agent who was in the same office complex that I had my business offices. We had played golf a few times and at the 19th hole he ordered a diet Coke. I had asked why and he told me he was an alcoholic and no longer drank.

I went to him and he took me to my first AA meeting the next day and the rest is history. I can say this with certainty, when I would walk out of a bar at 1AM and knew I was going to feel like hell in the morning or I left with someone that wasn't my children's mom, I would mumble to myself, "I have to stop doing this!"

Since that day in October I have attended more than a few AA meetings, some great ones and some I really didn't care for, but I have never said, "I have to stop doing this." So whatever has worked or not worked over these past years I do know overall my life is much better without booze.

Just my experience.
Good Luck,
Jon
Old 04-28-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
getting that power back.

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
I never said that, I felt it though.

For me, it was very simple. It was a moment of clarity, a feeling that was so real and very simple. I surrendered. I knew I could not live like that anymore and remain, what I thought at the time, was sane.

I called AA and as soon as I walked into that meeting I knew it was finally over. A feeling of relief washed over me and I felt for the first time at peace. I was home.

I have remained sober one day at a time. My sobriety date is 03/24/2013.
this made me smile -- "I walked into that meeting and I knew it was finally over." not gonna lie, this girl just teared up! where the hell are my kleenex...

xo.