Notices

feeling like a failure..

Old 04-23-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

feeling like a failure..

today, I engaged in both drinking and bingeing and purging (on food). I have a dual-diagnosis of alcohol abuse and anorexia/bulimia. I had been doing quite well...but today I failed. what a waste. horrible for my health, relationships, career, finances, personal appearance...yuck. how do you tell yourself "okay, you screwed up...so get back on with recovery." I sort of feel as though I failed so I might as well throw in the towel. I am just so angry and disgusted at myself. I just spent a ton on treatment...and look what I've done. I am so ashamed.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I had to quit playing the victim. I read this early in recovery and it left an impact

by: Charles Swindoll

The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.

Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home.

The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome back.

I identify with your feelings as I’ve done it many times until I was blessed with much encouragement at meetings and started to do what was suggested. First I needed to be honest with myself about my drinking AND ACCEPT the fact that I could not drink in safety one day at a time in a row.

Becoming sober is a great start and hopefully drinking can be eliminated from your life.
It’s work but with many benefits making the effort well worth it.
I and many were greatly benefited be attending many meetings where help from many professionals was/is available.

BE WELL
Old 04-23-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Rose
I understand 100%! I just slipped up myself and today am in that place of asking "what the heck am I doing to myself?" I know that if that thought creeps into my head, the thought of just throwing in the towel, I have this immediate desire to drink. It's like, since I've admitted this might be a lost battle, I can just booze until I pass out. I don't know where I'm going with this. I know we're capable of change, both you and I and people in general. My question now is how do I maintain that mindset? How do I initiate change and continue down a healthy path?
I wish you strength! Be kind to yourself. I was verbally beating myself up this morning as I rolled around in bed feeling ill and broken. Then I saw my eyes and how sad and tired they looked. I decided I should be more compassionate to myself.
We can do this!
Old 04-23-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by April202015 View Post
Hi Rose
My question now is how do I maintain that mindset? How do I initiate change and continue down a healthy path?
I wish you strength! Be kind to yourself. I was verbally beating myself up this morning as I rolled around in bed feeling ill and broken. Then I saw my eyes and how sad and tired they looked. I decided I should be more compassionate to myself.
We can do this!

Hi.
Myself and millions world wide have been given the opportunity to become healthy mentally and emotionally by attending a lot of AA meetings and following the way the program is laid out.

Reading the posts on these forums is also a great way to see what lays ahead and has loads of support.

BE WELL
Old 04-23-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It took me a while to accept I was powerless over my disease.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Court jester

Failing does not make you a failure. Giving up on yourself does.

Our thoughts create our perceptions. Do not give into the thoughts of shame, guilt, failure. These are truly useless thoughts that serve us no positive purpose. Replace them with thoughts of being loving, worthy of love, a beautiful soul that is powerful, strong and ready to kick this addiction's arse! Make those thoughts your reality.