Notices

Help for someone else?

Old 04-22-2015, 08:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help for someone else?

I'm not an alcoholic. My brother is. He drinks all the time, he steals when he's drunk. He drives when he's been drinking. My mother and I have actually called the cops while he was drinking and driving because he could kill someone. They always find him parked somewhere and just call us to pick him up. We've tried talking to him... Most of the time he argues and lies... Sometimes while drunk he'll say he needs help and that he drinks too much. He nearly died a couple years ago after drinking alcohol and prescription cough syrup. My mom had him involuntarily committed last year because he had been drinking and threatening to hurt himself... He's been drinking like this for... Probably 10 years.

I came here because I don't know what else to do. But after typing all of this im thinking even more that he probably needs to talk to a therapist or something? He won't seek help on his own. I guess I was kind of hoping someone who's been through what he has could tell me something that'd make him do something. He had his cdl license years ago and he's actually planning on leaving in a few weeks to go to some class to renew it and then he'll be off driving for a month. He thinks he won't drink at all while doing this and that he'll be able to quit. I'm worried someone's going to get hurt...
Old 04-23-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

On the face of it, there is not a lot we can do to stop someone drinking. Some folks say alcoholics drink because they have no will power. If you try and stop one drinking, you will find out he has more will power than most.

The best option for you is to contact Alanon and also take a look at the friends and family forum on this site. Sometimes all we can do is learn to live with the situation.

Another thing I would suggest is getting a copy of the Big Book of alcoholics anonymous.
The Doctors opinion and chapter 3 give some good information about alcoholism, while chapter 7 Working with Others gives some good ideas on how you and a recovered AA member might work together to capitalise on any opportunities that may arise to help your brother.

It is a long game and requires a lot of patience, and not many AA members actually know or practice this part of our program,. Some will just fob you off with some excuse, so you might have to talk to a few before you find someone who knows the program well enough. Even then, there are no guarantees. We try to carry the message, but the results are in God's hands.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

As Gottalife mentions, it's really up to the individual to seek help for themselves. No one can "force" them to get better. As you have seen, it's possible to have someone committed if they are a danger to themselves or others, but even then the addiction won't get better unless they take the initiative while in treatment.

The best thing you can do at this point is take care of yourself. There is a forum here for the family and friends of alcoholics linked below, you will find many who are in the same situation you are that can offer support.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information