Notices

day 8

Old 04-22-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 8

Another long day. I am starting to wonder if I will ever feel right again. I am tired and all I want to do is sleep and eat however I am seeing to my diet and hopefully one of these days I will have a day without obligations, I have just been very busy lately. Anyone who took awhile longer to feel right your input will be appreciated. A lot of people start saying how great they look and feel after a short time not drinking. Not me. It's annoying because like someone else said a week feels like a month. Also I am extremely irritable. It's only day 8 but I have cut way back these past few months and have far more sober days than not. I thought I should be feeling good by now. Anyway sorry to post so much, just feeling very uninspired.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try to not counting days. If you count ur aboht to lose i think, nwm about alcohol and make yourself busy with other stuff.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

8 days is great sleepie. It's also very, very early in sobriety - your body and mind is not used to this. Many of us also have underlying conditions ( physically and mental ) that we "dealt" with simply by getting drunk and hoping they would go away - which they won't of course. Have you seen a doctor for a physical or considered seeing a counselor or doing some self help/meditation to help heal your mind too? Simply "not drinking' will not solve any of these underlying issues unfortunately.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I already went to the doctor. Blood work is fine except for prediabetes which after I changed my diet went back to normal.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sleepie, I felt the same as you. All I wanted to do was eat huge amounts of food and sleep all the time. This lasted for about 20 days. It did lessen near the end of the month and I was feeling much better. Then I let my guard down and succumbed to the drink for about a week. Today, I am back on day two again and am feeling tired and irritable. Just listen to your body and sleep when necessary and eat healthy and exercise! And for God's sake don't let your guard down -- it isn't worth it to start over. I'm living it right now.
PS Don't worry about the diet part.... I lost 10lbs in that month and I was eating like a horse! Do what makes you feel good (up to a point, LOL)
Old 04-22-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

"Just for today" Sleepie. Thats how I got through that period. I heard that "God never gives us more than we han handle for one day" and I hung on to that. Things definitely improved quite quickly once I got on to working the steps.

I wouldn't be too fazed by the idea that some folks feel great in a few days. That happens sometimes just because we have stopped taking a depressant (alcohol) so our mood lifts. Some call it a pink cloud, I think of it as my first expereince of God's grace.

Typically what happens is we either use that period to advance our recovery, in my case beginning the steps and that feeling gradually becomes the normal way of feeling, or we just pat ourselves on the back and don't do anything else. If we are just problem drinkers, the latter should be fine, but for alcoholics like me the obsession always returned and I would stay miserably sober for a while, then the pain of staying sober would outweigh the pain of drinking.

Of course you are also withdrawing from another substance which will take longer that alcohol withdrawal. Just for today, one day at a time. It will get better if you hang in
Old 04-22-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

8 Days is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 04-22-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think thats pretty normal, sleepie or it was for me. Hang in there...improvement will come, guaranteed

D
Old 04-22-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It took me at least two weeks for the brain fog to start to lift. Honestly the first month was a blur....putting one foot in front of the other just to get through the day. I felt much better by 3 months, then even better by 6 months and felt like a new person. Early sobriety is rough....just keep on keeping on, and it will get better!
Old 04-22-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Sleepie, day 8 is just FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 8 Sleepie your doing really well
Old 04-22-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I think it's normal too Sleepie. It took me way more than 8 days to feel cheerful & part of the human race again. You will get there. Congrats on your sober time - we know how hard it is to stay on track.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thanks guys. I guess I just have to wait and see. today is really rough I appreciate your help.