Notices

Sleepless

Old 04-21-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleepless

I made some nice sleepy time tea and, as said in a previous post, tried to turn early. I wanted to let my body rest, I felt so tired. But, when I tried to actually sleep, it was very hard -- near impossible! My mind was busy, thoughts of all sorts came and went. It wasn't a feeling of anxiety, but just a busy mind. I don't know when I finally fell asleep. I feel good today in that I didn't drink last night... But I feel tired.
Again, just ramblin'.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Insomnia/sleeplessness is a very common problem in early sobriety. It took me several weeks to start having anything close to a "normal" sleep pattern. There are a lot of things that can help though - regular exercise, not eating a lot in the few hours before bed, staying away from TV/internet or anything else that will excite you or get your brain moving before bed. Also use your bed for sleeping exclusively - if you associate your bed with watching TV or other activities your mind might learn to expect them.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

restless mind can be tricky. Be careful your mind can drag you around by the nose. I almost routinely wake up at 3am or so and the mind starts up.

Theres a lot of books out there to help with that sorta thing tho. zen music or something helps. In the begining tho I sorta just had to push through it. I'd finally crash then i'd repeat the sleepless cycle again. I did sleeping pills to help at times but really disliked those.

It'll ease up tho just keep pushing forward.

I wake up really tired after rought nights myself and i find i'm still far more energetic then i was when i'd wake up still drunk form the night before so I'm always at least thankful for that.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My worst symptom in my drinking days came from lack of sleep at the end of a binge. I'd go to bed early knowing I needed sleep, knowing work was just a few hours away. My last binge that pushed me into getting sober was me staying awake literally all night, shaking a little (not convulsing- that's very dangerous), mind racing and full of anxiety. I was so envious that my wife and kids were sleeping peacefully, and I was a nervous wreck fearing for my life and wanting another drink- though I drank everything in the house over the weekend.

Once I had a day of not drinking, I went to my doc and asked for some sleeping pills which helped me immensely. You should get evaluated by your doc and tell them the truth. A good doc will not judge you, and you are not his/her first patient to have this issue with sleep deprivation after quitting alcohol or any substance that is abused.

I found that within just a few days, I was back to a good night's sleep and the sleep alone made me feel great, and strong enough to fight back against my addiction.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing really well April