Notices

brain shrinkage

Old 04-18-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

After nightly heavy drinking I was very concerned with brain damage and who knows? Maybe I have done some damage. Luckily with complete abstinence I know it's healing or at least not getting any worse. It's one of those things I'd rather not have a checkup about. I'd rather be blissfully ignorantly sober and just imagining it healing.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
The picture of the brain damaged is pretty SCARY
But body re-generates slowly but surely.
My brain capacity is comming back and my memory by day

MENS SANA IN CORPORE SANO
I've done a lot of research about the brain and how alcoholism destroys it. It can be scary, but the the shrinkage is short term and just a month of sobriety can go a long way. There's a reason it's a process to get sober and the damage to your brain is a big part of it. It needs time to recover and I can say my mental health is much stronger today, then it was when I was drinking.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Those pics are obviously of dead people's brains. It would be enlightening to know whether the alcoholic was recovered or drunk when the died, and if recovered, for how long.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

brain games - it's on netflix now. one thing for sure is, if you exercise your brain it gets stronger - true

I would get some puzzle books, that silly numbers game sudoku or whatever it's called.
It's never too soon to start aiding the repair process. mind teaser books
think of it as physical therapy for the brain
Old 04-18-2015, 09:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bostonsportsfan View Post
...I can say my mental health is much stronger today, then it was when I was drinking.
Ditto, even compared with long ago when I was a moderate drinker. Nice to be able to think clearly. If there is any permanent brain damage caused by my drinking, it's overwhelmed by dramatic improvements caused by my abstinence.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Wow super thread thanks, hope my brain recovers, I spent most of my life getting it into its current state!! so will take a while to recover I guess, will stay clean and help it along with good living.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by carlingford View Post
...I spent most of my life getting it into its current state!! so will take a while to recover I guess...
Surprisingly, research indicates that brain recovery has very little to do with length of drinking. Rather, it relies much more on age, length of sobriety, and presence of interim drinking.

There are two aspects to brain recovery: structure and function. Structural repair begins almost immediately upon cessation of drinking. The full range cognitive repair takes a bit longer, but also varies greatly. Based on my non-expert research, I would put the general target range between 6-18 months of continuous sobriety.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

The only thing I ever get out of threads like these (and there are many) is that if alcohol is worrying you enough to google day and night for health problems just don't drink. Sure, there are many bodily things that can be adversely affected but isn't it nice to know that most of these health problems completely go away if you abstain from alcohol?

One of the greatest things I gained when I quit drinking was peace of mind from not having to worry about the damage I may be causing to myself.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
Surprisingly, research indicates that brain recovery has very little to do with length of drinking. Rather, it relies much more on age, length of sobriety, and presence of interim drinking.

There are two aspects to brain recovery: structure and function. Structural repair begins almost immediately upon cessation of drinking. The full range cognitive repair takes a bit longer, but also varies greatly. Based on my non-expert research, I would put the general target range between 6-18 months of continuous sobriety.
Ok so I am 53 and a half (had to put in the 1/2 lol) I stopped for 80 days had two minor relapses of 5 beers after and back on 40 days clean still getting big time PAWs, is the "interim drinking" mentioned above the relapse?? thanks. hope I am better in a month or sooner,, not happy I blew the 80 days or did I loose it all with 5 beers over 5 hrs?? thanks for any thoughts.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
My experience - my own personal first hand experience of brain damge - is if the brain doesn't heal completely, it certainly adapts

I haven't got wet brain tho, no.

(and bh I'd wager the chances of you having wet brain are even less than the chances of you having brain shrinkage)
D
Thank you.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
The only thing I ever get out of threads like these (and there are many) is that if alcohol is worrying you enough to google day and night for health problems just don't drink. Sure, there are many bodily things that can be adversely affected but isn't it nice to know that most of these health problems completely go away if you abstain from alcohol?

One of the greatest things I gained when I quit drinking was peace of mind from not having to worry about the damage I may be causing to myself.
It's not that simple mate. If it was there would be no alcoholics.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bh28 View Post
I hear ya Bh28, most of us on this website have been right there and it sucks. I'm just pointing out how much time is spent worrying about something that could be gone in a few months with abstinence. Hard part is getting there but maybe the incessant worrying could be put to good use to motivate you to stay sober long enough for the mental cravings to subside.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I have just read that alcohol abuse can cause brain shrinkage?
Small gray areas and shrinkage normally appear on the brain with age with not much concern needed.

These can come on faster and larger with the use of alcohol and or drugs.

In long time drinkers sometimes referred to as "wet brain".

MM
Old 04-19-2015, 12:23 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by carlingford View Post
Ok so I am 53 and a half (had to put in the 1/2 lol) I stopped for 80 days had two minor relapses of 5 beers after and back on 40 days clean still getting big time PAWs, is the "interim drinking" mentioned above the relapse?? thanks. hope I am better in a month or sooner,, not happy I blew the 80 days or did I loose it all with 5 beers over 5 hrs?? thanks for any thoughts.
If I drank five beers I would set my days back to 1.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
If I drank give beers I would set my days back to 1.
Yes, I agree, for I have learned the hard way that an honest Program is the best Program (for me anyway).

Mountainman
Old 04-19-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

you should check our Sudz' threads some time bh.
he's done the hard yards

D
Old 04-19-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

For one thing, brain shrinkage occurs naturally as we age anyway, alcohol exacerbates it, as it passes through directly into brain tissue, but also it is associated malnutrition that causes brain damage.

On another note, I have a friend who survived carbon monoxide poisoning. He suffered brain damage and memory loss. Over the years he has retrained himself in many ways, and as Dee said, has adapted. It's also a testament to his intelligence prior to the accident. It goes to show that removing the toxin can give your brain a chance to heal.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
Continued alcohol abuse damages every single part of your body, especially your internal organs, as well your brain. It's a toxin outright. And the worst part is that the damage is usually slow and isn't detected until there is a serious problem. I'm trying to go cold turkey again as I am not physically dependent enough to suffer from DTs. I won't try to give medical advice, but cold turkey is the path that I take.
Are you sober now?
Old 04-20-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Do your best

Alcohol damages the brain the best person to ask would be your DR

I 5000% agree with D
Old 04-20-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Are you sober now?
Been sober for a few days. Can't guarantee anything else.