Notices

watched this millions times before quitting

Old 04-17-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

watched this millions times before quitting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgF1fzCqu-k

i watched this million times before i quit , it really helped me . the way he talk and describe how much the damage alcohol has made to his llife .
Old 04-17-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can see the alcoholism in his eyes, you can hear it in his voice.

Thanks for this insight.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you Zvang
Old 04-18-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing!!
Old 04-18-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"...it's always November, and it's raining, and it's 3 o'clock in the morning..."
Old 04-18-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow. His was a message I needed to hear.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zvang View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgF1fzCqu-k

i watched this million times before i quit , it really helped me . the way he talk and describe how much the damage alcohol has made to his llife .
Such wisdom and so very brave.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So eloquent.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love Richard burton. Was surprised to hear that he was unsure if he was an alcoholic. The "always November" bit was powerful.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes it is interesting that Burton warns us about the horrors and dangers of alcoholism, and offers his deepest sympathies to those affected by it, yet hedges on whether he himself really has the problem. I don't know Burton's life story, whether he ever got treatment or whatever, but I have to believe he understood that he was alcoholic himself.

It is remarkable how many prominent celebrities have struggled with drug and alcohol problems, and it seems that as time goes on, they are generally being more open about it. I always wondered why the alcoholism/addiction rate seemed so high among actors, pop musicians, etc. -- does it have something to do with the high-flying, high-pressure life style they lead? My guess is that the rate isn't significantly higher among celebrities, but it seems that way because their personal lives are in the spotlight and so we hear about their problems. In any case, it is good that they are talking candidly about these things and thus raising awareness among the general population about a serious problem that historically has been kept hidden as much as possible.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by exponential View Post
Yes it is interesting that Burton warns us about the horrors and dangers of alcoholism, and offers his deepest sympathies to those affected by it, yet hedges on whether he himself really has the problem. I don't know Burton's life story, whether he ever got treatment or whatever, but I have to believe he understood that he was alcoholic himself.

It is remarkable how many prominent celebrities have struggled with drug and alcohol problems, and it seems that as time goes on, they are generally being more open about it. I always wondered why the alcoholism/addiction rate seemed so high among actors, pop musicians, etc. -- does it have something to do with the high-flying, high-pressure life style they lead? My guess is that the rate isn't significantly higher among celebrities, but it seems that way because their personal lives are in the spotlight and so we hear about their problems. In any case, it is good that they are talking candidly about these things and thus raising awareness among the general population about a serious problem that historically has been kept hidden as much as possible.
Read his Wikipedia. It gives much more information about his drinking. He had an enlarged liver in 1970 and drank another 11 years, two fifths a day and smoked up to 100 cigarettes a day it claims. Very sad. He was in the big leagues of alcoholics.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This was profound and I really appreciate your sharing it.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

its really weired how he was unsure if he s an alcoholic . but i think all alcoholics had this doubt when they started becoming alcoholics . then they will live with their doubts till they admit it to them selfs that they they are , and they should seek help and face it .

i never knew Richard as celebrity, but those 5 minutes made me feel him like a closed friend . and i still love to watch this from time to time . its just wisdom

He took the lead to talk about all of us