Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I "NEED" to binge drink once in a while? But I do not think I am addicted

Notices

Old 04-17-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ofcourse I do not need it. But i get a strong feeling I need to do it to improve my mental health. Sounds crazy right? But I cannot find an other reason why I binge like a madman once in a while.

I used to be a weekly binge drinker, but that was when I was young. I never once had the feeling I would become a daily drinker, because I never drank alone, never really liked the feeling of being drunk (i know this sounds stupid), and never had the urge to drink more than once a week.

A gradually drank less when I got older. Now i drink once every 2-3 months. But when I do, i know I will get totally wasted, I know I will get in trouble, and I know I will feel like **** for days.

But I go to the store and buy this 1 liter bottle of vodka specially for the purpose of drinking it all.

I don't have a very problematic life, but I am a little introverted and I probably have ADD. I think i somehow build up emotions inside me, and the only way to get them out is to binge drink, because binge drinking really clears my head for a while , after the initial 2 days of feeling depressed and very hungover, I feel optimistic, and do good in life for a at least couple of weeks.

After this good couple of weeks, I am slowly starting to feel an urge to drink again.

I just like to know why this is. I just don' t believe this is some form of addiction , my thoughts is that this is my version of clearing my head, of maybe that the alcohol changes my brain chemistry for a while.

I really like to know if there are more people like me, or if anybody has the same experience.

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Binge drinking is bad for the body, especially one's heart. Binge drinking is also added to the DSM as part of the definition of Alcoholism.

Maybe try not to drink for several months and see how you feel? If you can't live without drinking at some point, there may be a problem. Then you can address it.

Glad you found SR!
Old 04-17-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome

I started as a binge drinker, ended as a daily all day drinker....I felt the same need throughout.

If you're really not addicted you can put it to the test - no alcohol at all 90 days...find other healthier ways to 'clear out your head'

D

ps
I recommend you change your screenname too.

Last edited by Dee74; 04-17-2015 at 05:23 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery. I hope you get your questions answered

Originally Posted by fckalcohols View Post
I just don' t believe this is some form of addiction
Of course not, otherwise you might on be able to continue on thinking it's a healthy way to deal with emotions. It's not.

You don't like the label "addiction." I can understand that, and I can understand how you would cling to the things that disprove it, like going a period of time of between binges.

I don't care what you call your drinking, just don't call it normal.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My grandfather only drank occasionally
yet
the family called him a drunk.

The alcoholic comes in many varieties.

Mountainman
Old 04-17-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There are much healthier ways to deal with life issues than binging if you are viewing it as some kind of "therapy". Have you ever investigated your ADD or other issues with a doctor or a counselor? There are many methods that can be used to treat these conditions that don't involve drugs of any kind.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yeah my Pop drank himself to death in Nov 1999 but I can quit and then the drinking started again the anger the screaming and the pain he caused my 3 little sisters and my Mom.. he missed so much in Life.. hoping that his regrets did not stop him from going with the GrandFathers to wait for the rest of us.. The Son of a Bitch is Dead can not harm my Mom or Sisters or GrandChildren and he has missed so much in Life...

you Need but Don't Need .. Son for God and people that I love I hope to the Lord above you have no pets or family to harm..

for binging is not a good thing at all... enough my say.. and my heart ardy

Ofcourse I do not need it. But i get a strong feeling I need to do it to improve my mental health. Sounds crazy right? But I cannot find an other reason why I binge like a madman once in a while.

I used to be a weekly binge drinker, but that was when I was young. I never once had the feeling I would become a daily drinker, because I never drank alone, never really liked the feeling of being drunk (i know this sounds stupid), and never had the urge to drink more than once a week.

A gradually drank less when I got older. Now i drink once every 2-3 months. But when I do, i know I will get totally wasted, I know I will get in trouble, and I know I will feel like **** for days.

But I go to the store and buy this 1 liter bottle of vodka specially for the purpose of drinking it all.

I don't have a very problematic life, but I am a little introverted and I probably have ADD. I think i somehow build up emotions inside me, and the only way to get them out is to binge drink, because binge drinking really clears my head for a while , after the initial 2 days of feeling depressed and very hungover, I feel optimistic, and do good in life for a at least couple of weeks.

After this good couple of weeks, I am slowly starting to feel an urge to drink again.

I just like to know why this is. I just don' t believe this is some form of addiction , my thoughts is that this is my version of clearing my head, of maybe that the alcohol changes my brain chemistry for a while.

I really like to know if there are more people like me, or if anybody has the same experience.

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Sounds like a phase that I went through - 5 years before my drinking every day phase.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think i somehow build up emotions inside me, and the only way to get them out is to binge drink, because binge drinking really clears my head for a while...
It doesn't really clear your head, it stuffs it full of fuzz so you don't notice. The way I look at it is, if we don't deal with things in a healthy way they build up. Alcohol gives us the illusion of having dealt with things, but all we did is charge more on the credit card, which we have to pay back with interest later - or charge more and delay it again. This snowballs over time, and the longer we keep this up the harder it is to get out of the cycle.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

If you are drinking when you don't want to and in quantities you don't want to that is a huge RED FLAG!

The problem with alcoholism is that it is progressive. It only gets worse. It was not like in my mid-twenties I said to myself, "By the time I hit 50 I want to be a chronic, physically dependent, late stage alcoholic." Unfortunately that is exactly what happened.

We can get off the alcoholism elevator anytime we want but too many of us rode it all the way to the bottom. If you want to lose everything you love continue to drink. If not you may wish look at other alternatives.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks!
I've never experienced binge drinking much since I pretty much drank all the time.

However, perhaps you might consider seeing a therapist. Maybe they can help you better understand why you suddenly feel the urge to go off the deep end every so often.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was a binge drinker just like you. Alcoholics, problem drinkers or whatever you want to call it, come in different forms. You know deep down if this is a problem for you. Please don't sell yourself short. Have you heard of the AV, Addictive Voice? Getting to meet "it" was great help for me.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

This sounds like me before i admitted i was alcoholic it was normal to be drinking litres of vodka every day in the end nearly took my life

My advice is i know what it is to be sober something that i never thought possible but here i am

Build a sobriety plan it really did save my life
Old 04-17-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have ADHD and started binge drinking to "quiet the circus in my head"... it worked for awhile (I have no idea why it felt like it seemed to relieve a build-up of psychological and emotional "pressure") and I was able to have one thought at a time, instead of a marching band in my head... then I was drinking everyday and it didn't quiet the traffic driving through my head any longer...

What worked? Sobering up and dealing with my ADHD like an adult...
Old 04-17-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh geez- I just read my last line and didn't realize it sounded so rude! I didn't mean that you were not being an adult!!!

I meant that I had to finally grow up...
Old 04-17-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks!
Personally, I don't think its a crazy question. I think people escape in different ways, and if alcohol once every few months is your escape, well, who is gonna stop you. Obviously if alcohol controls or interferes with your life, that's a different story. Unfortunately for alcoholics, the once every two months turns into once every two weeks, to once every two days, to once every two hours. And that is a very real possibility if you are an alcoholic or are going to become one.

I run a rather high stress business, and if I get 20-28 hours of down time I "relax" with alcohol. I want to quit that and that is why I am here. BUT, I will qualify that by saying I've pretty much done everything in life I wanted to do. I've rubbed elbows with the scum of the earth, and hob nobbed with the elites. There is one thing I haven't done and that is to see the castles of England, sharks of Australia and ancient ruins of Rome and Egypt. Other than that, I'm good. And unless I win the lottery, I don't see myself traveling the world to fulfill that last goal. In the meantime I am very happy with my wife, my dog and myself.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Do you want to stop? If so, can you?

Is there any particular reason you want others to tell you that it's not addiction?
Old 04-17-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Scary things can happen in sporadic binges. I know non-alcoholics who have duis.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Whether the statement is: "I need a drink" or "I need a liter," the operative word is "NEED."