Notices

ten hour day, biking, try to practice abstinence

Old 04-15-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ten hour day, biking, try to practice abstinence

Hi all. I am just posting so I have something to look forward to when I get home tonight at eleven or so. It's nice out now, the weather is better and I bike a long ride to work and back. Night time biking after work, all the bars are open. It's an easy job but a long shift. So instead of a drink after work I can come read my thread. Picking up an enormous iced coffee on the way to work and bringing lots of water.

When the weather gets like this beer will be all over. Patios open, people out, bars with windows open and the whole mess. You know what I mean? I have to be good and go straight home, maybe some light reading and bed. Boring! And I recall being so ill I would have liked the luxury of feeling bored and not ill. Kind of dumb right?

My city has simply exploded with craft breweries as well. I keep telling myself it's poison in pretty packaging. For me anyway.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's good to have a plan in place. I know how you feel about the warmer weather and more people out drinking....it is a huge trigger for some people, including myself. I don't know where you live, but at least in America, alcohol use and culture is so glorified. I love sports, but going to sporting events can be a real pain, at least at this point in my own sobriety.

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
I have to be good and go straight home, maybe some light reading and bed. Boring! And I recall being so ill I would have liked the luxury of feeling bored and not ill. Kind of dumb right?
I can relate! However, I often found myself bored even when drinking. I would do the same mindless thing every night...get off work, start drinking, watch a sporting even on TV, play some video games, surf social media, and eventually pass out. I found it boring...I guess my mindset was that at least I was getting some entertainment from alcohol.

Though it really wasn't entertainment. It was just poison, like you said. It slowed my mind down. The more I think about it, the more I realize that all alcohol did was actually MAKE me boring, and thus bored. Same routine every night. And to top it off, I would avoid friends and social interactions a lot. I think our AV's try to use "boredom" as an excuse to drink.

Good luck with your plan for today!
Old 04-15-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

the other day I finally caught myself with that boredom depression stuff. I was bored had nothing to do. nothing exciting going on things where just blah. And i thought welp this sure beats a bunch of fires to put out and problems. This is also better then the eager anticipation of something good (no i dont like that anxiety either). I reminded myself how nice it is to just be to just enjoy the calm and how when things are reckless and too exciting i always wish for calm boring moments. So rather then being depressed about it I got pretty thankful for it.

But idle hands can be the devils play ground you do have to be careful. I also enjoy the atmosphere you described but again it is what it is. One can sit quietly and have a good time and not have a drink. It is possible. I don't see the fact that i cant have a drink as some kind of a problem. It is what it is. its like someone with a food allergy. I dont feel like i'm some poor victom who cant enjoy a beer. I"m find with it anymore doesnt phase me. Now sure can I think back and go oh remember the days when i'd have a couple drinks at some outside cafe and enjoy the fresh air a cigar and a nice tall glass of guiness? yes i remember it. I also remember driving home drunk from those days and sliding over 3 lanes and being stupid too. It was not as glamorous as i can sometimes make it out to be.

Now I could sit in the same cafe watch people pass by enjoy the fresh air and such and just move on from there.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Abstinence saved my life & millions & millions of others

Congrats Sleepie
Old 04-15-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sleepie - I think it's wise that you have a plan for your triggers today. Plus you're helping others by sharing what you're doing to stay sober today.
I can't think of a better thing to look forward to than the folks supporting your sobriety, on your thread! You're building a great sober life.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I am back. long day. I go back tomorrow for another ten hours straight. It will be Thursday, people will be out to start the weekend early. Thanks for your replies it really helps!
Old 04-18-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there, buddy.
You might not know it but reading your thread is certainly helping me and, I would imagine, others.
I, for one, wish I could drink like the "normals" but I will never be able to.
Thanks for your post 😀
Old 04-18-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Way to plan, sleepie!
Old 04-18-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys I had a day off yesterday. Today too. Off to do errands and visit the BF's family. Should be nice Feeling alright today. please drop by you guys are the best!