Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

possible new job but would rather sit in my crap stew?

Notices

Old 04-13-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
zjw

I 'm looking at a possible new job. its a godsend really. another work at home gig to replace my current work at home gig. Just better stuff to work with and new faces involved a fresh start and such and well more money that is desperately needed.

I've had 1 interview it went really well. almost too well. But i'm not out of the woods yet there will be more interviews.

All the while i'm concered there hireing for 2 diff postions i'm a great match for either of them.

But i worry why? becuase I'd have to leave my comfort zone. (yeah my warm pile of poo i sit in at my current job i have is somehow comforting?) yeah i guess i'm used to my current set of complaints.

The other issue is to be honest I dont wanna do this but the extra money might help leverage me to what i really wanna do so I might not have to do this for long if I dont like it or dont want to.

Another issue I worry about is if i have to travel. I dont think i'll have to travel much but I'm terrified to fly. How do i tell them this and still keep my chances of getting this job? Or do i just keep my mouth shut and roll the dice. see in tmes past flying for me was met with massive booze to keep me calm then when i was gone on business away from my famly I hated it I hated ever min of it (some men love being away from there families I despise it! so what did i do? i'd **** drunk every single time. I'm scared I'd pull that again.

all the while I think i'm getting too far ahead of myself. I've only had 1 interview they might hate me in the next and then I wont get the offer and all this worry will be for nothing.

I feel as if i'd be a fool to turn the job down however. it would give me the chance to further my carreer if i decide to stay on this path. It would ressurect my otherwise dead carreer. But I dunno that i even wanna stay in this field But I guess it would offer me a fresh start and a clear head to figure that out!

I'm normally not concerened about new jobs. IN the past it was like more money? Ok. But now with a wife and 6 kids and a whole diff set of things i want out of life that doesnt mean makeing tons of money well the money isnt really that enticing. But I hate my current job with a passion so I think this is the best thing thats come along in years and it might be the best thing that comes along for many more years so..
Old 04-13-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Something is standing in your way...and it's you.

A few years back, when I lost a job and was searching for the direction I wanted to take my life, I found myself mired in doubt. Doubt of my own making. What help was finding a book called Get Off your “But”: How to End Self-Sabotage and Stand Up for Yourself.

The "But" in the title isn't your rear end, though in a way it is. No, the "but" is the excuse we use not to do something or to hold us back by the force of negative thinking. Look at all the "buts" in your post?
  • but would rather sit in my crap stew?
  • But i'm not out of the woods yet
  • But i worry
  • but I'm terrified to fly
  • But I dunno that i even wanna stay in this field
  • But I guess it would offer me a fresh start and a clear head to figure that out!
  • But now with a wife and 6 kids and a whole diff set of things i want out of life that doesnt mean makeing tons of money well the money isnt really that enticing
  • But I hate my current job with a passion

You need to find that book!
Old 04-13-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah all logic is telling me if this door opens I need to walk through it. it owuld be a good thing regardless of if i wanna stay in the field or not. Until i can get my other game plan worked through this opportunity would certainly be good for right now.

but as you can see and pointed out I got all this nonsense standing in my way. part of me is like oh just decline an offer if you get one and just plant your butt firmly in the poo cause I must like the warmth of it or something.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

I found that book and put it on my list to read. I'd buy it right now and read it right now but I have a pile of books i'm working through at the moment and gotta dwindle my pile down some before i buy more or my wife might kill me haha.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

it seems all my problems could be summed up in the word "fear" fear of this fear of that fear of change fear of the unknown etc..
Old 04-13-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi ZJW
The best decisions of my life have involved fear and lots of it. I moved to New York City in 1983 when I was 17. My friends in warm safe Florida thought I was nuts and maybe they were right but it turned out to be one of the best decisions that I've ever made and it set the standard for the rest of my life. That little tingle of fear, a certain kind of fear, let me know that I was on the right track. It is exciting. It separates me from the scared people who stay at home cleaning their guns (gotta be ready to defend the comfort zone, I guess) and complaining about their jobs for decades.

Quitting drinking was a terrifying decision for me. Talk about ripping myself out of my comfort zone! But there was that tingle--the good fear--telling me that this would be a good thing and it has turned out to be better than anything I could have imagined.

Have you imagined traveling with a kid or two? I was scared of that too but then circumstances found me traveling with them a couple of years ago and, guess what, I love it. It is such a great compliment to my new sober traveling lifestyle to have them with me. It gives me a fresh perspective and creates lots of bonding memories.

Good luck.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There's also the idea that the universe unfolds for us at just the right rate, and we just need to stay centered and approach each thing as it arises...

Don't worry about flying for an imaginary business trip now. Your only task is to do any homework for the interview, get your interview outfit ready, and get to that appointment on time.

When/if you have to go on a business trip - you can work with a doctor to get a med for your flying anxiety, plan the trip carefully (with a complex "check in/support plan").

Take the issue as each part arises. Many steps to climb the mountain... Just keep reminding yourself that you are prepared by sobriety! You are already present & attentive, which is more than many folks approaching change. Building the life you want will involve many forays outside your comfort zone - but your comfort zone stays there (home & SR), and you get to return to it & regroup after each hard thing...
Old 04-13-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

Have you imagined traveling with a kid or two? I was scared of that too but then circumstances found me traveling with them a couple of years ago and, guess what, I love it. It is such a great compliment to my new sober traveling lifestyle to have them with me. It gives me a fresh perspective and creates lots of bonding memories.
yeah one thought i had was to drive where ever these trips could be and take my family with me for a vacation for them and well work for me. Assuming where they send me isnt to far.

But you raise another good idea take a kid with me. not a bad idea I'd have to think about what they'd do with themselves tho with me gone and them in some strange city at a hotel etc..
Old 04-13-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

There's also the idea that the universe unfolds for us at just the right rate, and we just need to stay centered and approach each thing as it arises...

Don't worry about flying for an imaginary business trip now. Your only task is to do any homework for the interview, get your interview outfit ready, and get to that appointment on time.

When/if you have to go on a business trip - you can work with a doctor to get a med for your flying anxiety, plan the trip carefully (with a complex "check in/support plan").
I've been thinking the same telling myself dont get ahead of it all i gotta worry about right now is interviews if i bomb them and dont get the job the rest of this is clearly not worth worrying about! and things do unfold in there own time and on schedule I Just have to go with the flow.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Zjw

I'm out of work at the moment and actually just got a call for an interview tomorrow morning. I'm not sure I'm ready and I know it's fear talking which has previously led me to drink but like others have said, take it piece by piece.

I need to read about the company tonight, get my outfit ironed and just turn up to the appointment. That's it.

I break most things down into manageable chunks as I have an anxiety disorder. It does help :-)