SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Messy room (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/364566-messy-room.html)

Bh28 04-12-2015 11:00 AM

Messy room

When you wake up in the morning, cans all over the place, bottles of vodka, cider. Tobacco and rizla papers all over.

Bed sheets need changing, floor needs cleaning, mopping.

Does it make you depressed and want to drink?

Flawed 04-12-2015 11:15 AM

It did. I then began to realize I wanted a clean house, I felt more at ease in it. I started slowly and did one room a day to clean up the tornado my drinking had caused. Then, instead of feeling hopeless and waking up looking at a mess, I felt happy waking up and walking into a clean room.

LeeJane 04-12-2015 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bh28 (Post 5314411)

Yes of course.

Since I quit I relish my spotless and well run home. Now I have freed up all the time I sat mindlessly drinking, I have plenty of time to make my life nice.

JaneLane 04-12-2015 11:50 AM

That was one of the first things I addressed when I made the decision to stop.

Minimising stress is a key thing for me so spending a while with bin bags chucking rubbish out was a very liberating action!

RobbyRobot 04-12-2015 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bh28 (Post 5314411)
When you wake up in the morning, cans all over the place, bottles of vodka, cider. Tobacco and rizla papers all over.

Bed sheets need changing, floor needs cleaning, mopping.

No, it doesn't. Or rather, it didn't. Its not what is happening on the outside that makes a guy drink. Its what is ticking on the inside, you know?

:)

Soberwolf 04-12-2015 12:10 PM

Its obviously is making you want to drink i 5000% agree with Robby here

Why do you drink friend ?

Bmac 04-12-2015 12:11 PM

I found that anything made me feel like drinking. Clean house? Hooray! Let's drink. Messy house? Crap, let's drink. Basically, if I was conscious, it was reason enough for me.

Now, I have no reasons to drink. I simply want sobriety more.

2muchpain 04-12-2015 12:39 PM

This will probably sound strange, but the mess I made actually gave me something to think about during the first four or five days of not drinking than dropping by the liquor store. With all the shaking and sweating, I couldn't do much, so occasionally I would get out of bed and do something productive, like putting all the empty beer cans and vodka bottles in a bag, then go back to bed. After a couple of days doing this, my apartment looked better and I felt better.
Nowadays, I'll look around my apartment sometimes and am surprised how much cleaner it is now that I quit drinking. John

chickippo 04-13-2015 10:42 AM

the last time I woke up to an apartment like that was the day I stopped.

I have a year in 9 days time - and I've done it living on my own.

keeping a tidy flat is one reward to me for staying sober one day at a time.

be well, bh

zjw 04-13-2015 10:55 AM

it never bothered me. and i bet now at almost 4 years sober I could still find a stray can in my yard or garage somewhere. I used to think that my drinking was why i was a pig. then i got sober and well I'm still a pig so in my case being a pig was not really because of my drinking. Sure i was worse then i guess. But my filthy habits and such never really phased me back then. Some stuff now might if i think back to overflowing ashtrays or something its like ugg yeah pretty gross. But all of that kinda just comes with the territory with those sorts of habits.

is what it is. I had many other seemingly great (excuses) reasons to drink.

GracieLou 04-13-2015 01:51 PM

My home looked like that because I drank! Not the other way around.

Dee74 04-13-2015 04:06 PM

how are you doing today bh?

D

huntingtontx 04-13-2015 04:11 PM

My house was always neat and clean, but I drank every night. I drank to sleep, because I was happy, because I was sad, because I was bored, because I was working. Hmmm.....Pretty much I just drank. Now I don't drink, and life is so much better and I remember it all. I have lots more time, and can come and go as I please. When I drank I could not leave the house because I was drinking. So pretty much, it was a lock on my gate. Now, I love the freedom. I love feeling better. I love being sober.

Bh28 04-14-2015 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by soberwolf (Post 5314549)
Its obviously is making you want to drink i 5000% agree with Robby here

Why do you drink friend ?

Because I cant have sex with a woman.

MIRecovery 04-14-2015 06:02 PM

Can you be a little more specific? This is a safe place and there may be people who have gone through the same thing

Bh28 04-14-2015 06:24 PM

I took steroids mate from age 20-25. They destroyed my testosterone levels big time.

MIRecovery 04-14-2015 07:04 PM

Have you seen a doctor? Have you stayed sober long enough to know if it might be an alcohol problem?

Bh28 04-14-2015 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by MIRecovery (Post 5318629)
Have you seen a doctor? Have you stayed sober long enough to know if it might be an alcohol problem?

No, I haven't stayed sober long enough. It happened straight after the steroids.

Bh28 04-14-2015 07:31 PM

Yes, I've seen a dr but they won't put me on T replacement because of my young age.

Bh28 04-14-2015 07:55 PM

I saw a good dr today who understands and she's female. Things may improve soon.