Notices

Problem with recovery plan.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Problem with recovery plan.

Hi, bit of a lurker, first time posting.

First of a ll id like to thank all the people responsible for maintaining/contributing tothis site as it has given me a lot of good information and inspiration for taking on my drinking issues.

I am 37 year old male, married with a 12 year old daughter. Despite trying to manage my drinking with moderation, cutting down etc i was spiralling out of control. Alcohol had a real hold on me and it got to the stage by late January where my daughter was hiding my drinks, i was having blackoupts and My behaviour was effecting my professional reputation to name just some a few.

I bit the bulletgot ino in-house rehab, spent 21 days in sydney. Lots of therapy,meetings, the whole box and dice with a wholistic approach. I was really lucky as my private health covered most of it and it worked really worked well for me(so far).

The problems are with my after care plan. I live in a smallish town without as many options in terms of face to face counselling etc so the doctors in sydney decided to put me on Naltrexone and antibuse as a precaution. For the first two weeks i had absolutley no energy or motivation. I'd wake up feeling like a bus had run over me. I just laid in bed all day on the ipad. I am on leave till June.

I went to the local gp, who took me off both of all the meds as he suspected the lack of energy could be side effects. I now feel more "normal", however, a little anxious due to not having the medication inside of me as a "backup".

Another part of my plan was to go to as many AA meetings. I do no not feel comfortable as the "dynamics" and "feel" to this group do no really work for me. In North Sydney there were many different meetings to alternate betwen, here there is nly the one. My phycologist has suggested online aa meetings, does anyone on this forum have any thoughts?

Currently i am on day 55, i havnt come close to picking up a drink. Its just im concerned that my aftercare plan isnt working and everything could unravel if i don try and consolodate now. Are there any other members in recovery who face similar challenges due to being isolated from services/lack of optionsetc? Keen to hear yor thoughts
Old 04-11-2015, 01:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Hi Raidersfan.

I believe some doubt with respect to a recovery plan is normal. When the doubt begins to erode our steadfastness, that is another matter. My experience with sobriety has taught me I myself am my greatest asset and strength in keeping sober. I'm the Gatekeeper for myself. It's on me to improvise and secure whatever it takes to maintain and improve my sober lifestyle. I'm also spiritual, and this gives me opportunities for more internal appreciation of who and what I am. Practicing Mindfulness is an awesome resource in understanding what makes me me.

I know in early sobriety it sometimes can feel overwhelming when we project our present concerns of doubts into a future which looks as if failure is a distinct outcome. I've been there too. Although different external strategies like meetings and counselling and programs are absolutely helpful, nothing is as helpful as simply believing in ourselves. Achieving and establishing a sober lifestyle isn't an easy undertaking. You'll likely go through a lot of internal change on how you are aware of yourself and your life, and of those you love. As well, as you change, others will become aware of you being different in many ways too. All this is to the good.

Try not to say to yourself that things in your aftercare could unravel to the point of you returning to drink. Such serious doubts don't aid you, even though it seems your being honest with yourself, its at the cost of your foundational fortitude. Don't erode what you have achieved. Have a good look at your own internal strengths, and with a mind to improve your daily life with real living in a sober lifestyle rather than relying on external supports to actually keep you sober. Sobriety is much more an inside job.

In any case, welcome to the posting crowd of SR.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard raidersfan

Not sure where you are so I'm not sure whether driving back into Sydney, Canberra or whatever is the nearest 'big town' is feasible on a regular basis.

Some of us do ok with SoberRecovery as our support, but you could also try online AA meetings maybe?

D
Old 04-11-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Raidersfan!!
Old 04-12-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Another part of my plan was to go to as many AA meetings. I do no not feel comfortable as the "dynamics" and "feel" to this group do no really work for me. In North Sydney there were many different meetings to alternate betwen, here there is nly the one. My phycologist has suggested online aa meetings, does anyone on this forum have any thoughts?"

Hi and welcome.

I’m 100% pro face to face AA. It has been a benefit to millions of alcoholics even if we are uncomfortable or any other hang ups we many have. It will work IF we follow the program for recovery. Recovery for me means long term, years of acumination of one day at a time in a row.

The result of not following any program can easily be a return to a miserable life with each day being worse because this disease is progressive and never gets better with continued drinking. Relapsing are the same results.
I’ve been a member for a lot of years and don’t want to remember all the horrific results of continued drinking by so many who did not live by not having the first drink.

BE WELL
Old 04-12-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm doing this with will power.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

A closed mind isn't workable in recovery is my experience, Bh28. Not every program or technique was created to work for everybody either. There is no one-size-fits-all in recovery and becoming recovered. Whatever works works and what doesn't doesn't. Quitting isn't rocket science.

Will power? Yeah, tried that too. Epic fail. For me anyways.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If I wanted to drink more than
anything back in the day and
when I entered recovery to learn
not to drink, then I wanted to
remain sober nore than anything.

And I did want recovery because
nothing else worked for me. I listened,
learned, aborbed and apply many useful,
helpful, healthy tools and suggestions
to my everyday life to live by.

Having that 28 stay in rehab with a
6 week aftercare program added on
allowed me to stay close to my little
family while working on my recovery
program.

Not perfection but progress to become
a healthy, happy, honest person, wife,
mother and member of society.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your replies. I miss the group therapy from my stint and I guess his is as close to what I'll get. I'm just trusting the process (as they say). I hope this jigsaw will make sense to me in months and years to come.

This program I went in to to has programs you can latch onto, as a out patient for a "changes" course if the need arises, I may spend Christmas holidays recharging if I feel myself slipping or coasting... I won't name then twn I'm in, however, you probably could get any more isolated..

A fair people have said 90 days is the magic number for a shift of pattern in your brain to become intrenched. Is that why they say 90 meetings in 90 days? I would consider spending half an hour on this forum, and writing out the odd message like this to be more valuable for me than attending a steps meeting.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would recommend checking in here every day and reading as many posts as you can. That is what got me through and helps me maintain sobriety..
Old 04-13-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Heres help writing up a plan RaidersFan http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 04-13-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Can you go on Antabuse? It's a great deterrent and I haven't seen any side effects in my son. He is on 250 mg per day. There is also a 500 mg dose.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Y
Originally Posted by INgal View Post
Can you go on Antabuse? It's a great deterrent and I haven't seen any side effects in my son. He is on 250 mg per day. There is also a 500 mg dose.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I was on that when I came out but it had a really bad side effect on me and made me feel like a bus had run over me. I was sleeping half the day, it was terrible... I guess it effects different people in different ways. Drugs and prescription medicine have always had hyper effects on me.

I joined the local library the other day and hired out some meditations. Writing lists also help. I'm reading for pleasure a whole lot more now too, im really enjoying that, I can't believe I hadn't been doing that for a decade or more.

Whenever I have the slightest idea to have a drink I picture myself hurling up bile over the side of the Manly ferry while on the way to rehab, which is what I did on my way there earlier this year, or my daughter hiding my booze and that soon stops the cravings: out of shame and and a reminder of where I may end up.