Notices

Please keep me sober

Old 04-09-2015, 11:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Please keep me sober

I've been invited out tonight by the Friday night boozers gang!!!

This has always been my stumbling block, the friday nights. It's the same old groundhog day, wash, rinse, repeat and I can't go back to that life. They all congregate around one particular girls house; drink as much as they can to get warmed up; then down to the usual hostelries to finish the job. Chatting & laughing like it's the only way to live.

The next day.....ugh....Terrible hangover; heart pounding in my chest; feeling paranoia; weekend ruined. That's supposed to be a good time. I wonder how can they keep doing that week after week? But that's for them & not for me & I've made alternative arrangements.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good job on making other arrangements. Very wise of you.
For me, I felt the party life was the only way to live. It's like I went to a party and didn't leave for 21 years.

And oh the misery of the following days. Just as you described. Remember, we never have to feel that way again
Have a fun, happy Friday night!
Old 04-10-2015, 02:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like you made a good choice Lily

D
Old 04-10-2015, 03:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Not going? What??? Made a rational choice? Good for you.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you! sobriety for me came by making small changes each day, baby steps.
I changed my routes home, drank a lot of water when I got home, had some sugar sweets, made myself stop thinking about drinking and concentrate on non drinking thoughts, started being around sober people and attending a lot of meetings.
At a certain point I needed to work on things and learn to change the reasons I drank that led me to be an alcohol addict.

BE WELL
Old 04-10-2015, 03:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Good choice to not go Lilly.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by lillyknitting View Post
I wonder how can they keep doing that week after week? But that's for them & not for me & I've made alternative arrangements.
Great choice! I always wonder how many of them may be secretly suffering the same way you also did, or may simply be unaware that there is another way to live life. Anyway, the only thing that matters is how it made you feel and doing what is right for you.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

tomorrow morning YOU will look and feel great, ready to enjoy your weekend.

no bloated face, dirty teeth, sour breath, pounding headache. You are gaining precious vitality and a good mood.

there are many other ways to enjoy a Friday night. congrats on a good decision.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done. Good call. After all, nothing changes if nothing changes eh!

What are you doing instead? - have a good time
Old 04-10-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by lillyknitting View Post
I've been invited out tonight by the Friday night boozers gang!!!

This has always been my stumbling block, the friday nights. It's the same old groundhog day, wash, rinse, repeat and I can't go back to that life. They all congregate around one particular girls house; drink as much as they can to get warmed up; then down to the usual hostelries to finish the job. Chatting & laughing like it's the only way to live.

The next day.....ugh....Terrible hangover; heart pounding in my chest; feeling paranoia; weekend ruined. That's supposed to be a good time. I wonder how can they keep doing that week after week? But that's for them & not for me & I've made alternative arrangements.
Some people never grow up. I dunno how people can do this sorta thing day in day out lifes one big party etc..

lots that i know have not matured much since highschoo. basicly they started having a good time in highschool and never stopped. I know some that still work there crummy jobs while the rest of the clan in highschool got professional carreers heck some of those still party too tho however.

It does however catch up to you. Just recently a friend of mines younger brother passed away at 55 years old or so from lung crancer. he drank did dope and snorted coke all his life. his only child is in foster care the childs mother is in jail etc.. He died alone after suffering a battle with lung cancer.

I new i was playing with fire with my antics. I just didnt know how I would ever break free. I figured for sure i'd just drop dead from the nonsense i was doing. I could only dream of living to 55 and dieing of lung cancer that woulda been an extended stay on this rock for someone like me I think.

But here i am sober 3 years and 10 months and healthy as a horse. Somehow I broke that cycle and for now it doesnt appear that my future will be so bleek.

You can beat this.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How can they do it every week? Well if they haven't damaged their bodies then they can drink and party and recover quickly without a thought. They also probably don't even think about drinking til the next girls' night out. So, how do they do it? With no mental obsession. No kindling/weeklong hangovers/withdrawal, no mental torment or feelings of doom. Many people go out drinking and the only pain they have the next day is their feet from dancing too long in heels. That is the world of non-alcoholics.

Do they really drink that much? Many of the ladies I know "tie one on" every now and then with four, maybe five (if they really go nuts) beers spread across the evening. To them, that is a LOT. I went out with my sister in law a year ago and she had four beers and said she felt so sick the next day. That got a huge LOL from me. She rarely drinks. I think that was the most she had drank since her bachelorette party!

Skip the ladies night. It's purely for drinking.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Fridays nights and hangouts are the reasons why I became once an alcoholic. My friends even do drugs. When the time came that I realized I want to change, I decided to move out from state to avoid temptations and fortunately a relative is kind to help me find an alcohol and drug center services. That made me create a new constructive lifestyle for myself. You made the right thing. Your future self will surely thank you for what you did today. There's so many other fun ways to enjoy Fridays. Keep making wise decisions.

Last edited by tgreen; 04-13-2015 at 12:53 AM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 04-13-2015, 01:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good decision. Time to move onto better things.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The way you describe it Lilly sounds yuk like something from a bygone age , groups of people together pouring a drug down their throats in the name of fun , sigh !

So yesterday all that BS , like those Brits abroad programmes , drinking till they get sick , so outdated so uncool.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

You are awesome Lillyknitting way to go you friend
Old 04-14-2015, 12:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Thanks everyone for your replies, help & support. These Friday nights were historically for me utter disaster; yes, they all drink. A. Lot. But, I used to get so totally brain dead I could barely stagger home, would fall asleep in my hall at the bottom of the stairs; if we went back to friends for further boozing & dancing then I'd get home @5 or 7 in the morning depending if I'd slept on the settee!!! Oh the torture of those days - I'm actually feeling physically sick as I write this remembering it all. Even if they went out for dinner beforehand it would still be a boozefest with bottle after bottle of wine ordered on the table. Those in the group who professed to "not drink much"! Well I stayed sober & watched them!!! They're all loud, rowdy, giggling, shouting & certainly looked boozed up enough. I would go home at the end of dinner whilst they do the statutory pub round.

It took a while for me to adjust but now my Fridays are spent: if staying in, getting a take away, west end trips to the shops, exhibitions, I'm going with my daughter this Friday to see the McQueen exhibition at the V&A. That is so far removed from my old life it's like a different planet. Now I take a step back & look at them still doing it & the hangovers I used to endure, how could I ever have thought that fun???!!!! X
Old 04-14-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Lilly yep I'm in the UK and I have the same problem...it starts on a Friday night with work colleagues on the way home from work and doesn't stop. I wake up on Saturday with a horrific hang over and think why the hell did I do that? Full of regrets and hating myself all over again. I have finally decided that enough is enough and I'm not doing it anymore. You have made the right decision...enjoy Friday night at the V&A, Im hoping to make that one soon too