Notices

Handling anxiety

Old 04-08-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Handling anxiety

For any long term sober people, what did you do to keep from anxiety? Already went to the doctor. Quit drinking again, a week and a half ago. I had a bit of hypochondria way before I ever drank. That will kick in again now, did anyone deal with this successfully?
Old 04-09-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

I cut out caffine. I dont watch suspenseful movies or things of he like. I try and force myself to do relaxing things. Read a book drink a cup of tea.

Now I know something like not watching a suspenseful movie might sound stupid but In my case i could watch something like that and be rattled for a good long while so I just dont bother and if I do i brace myself.

I try and keep my life manageable so that things dont spiral out of control. I try and keep things as simple as possible and well simpiler then that even.

I'm ok with the fact that I can only handle so much.

I exercise I eat well.

I'll take a supplement 5htp for depression once in a while and it seems to help with anxiety as well. But I do recomend you read up on something like that or check with yoru doctor before taking as it can intereact with SSRI's in a bad way.

Sometimes things get bad tho and I'll just get up and go for a walk to calm down. Or go for a run. and sometimes i have to do that a few times a day or i'll get no peace.

I wont lie it takes effort I have to consciously make decisions all day long in order to keep calm.

But this is what i do and luckily no meds.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

Oh and if i find myself in a tough situation I try and find a way to accept things how they are. Or to just let it go.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

sleepie, have you tried yoga? I love how I feel when I stick with it even for a week. I am not a recovering A, but I do have anxiety. Caffeine bothers me, and I have begun to experiment with teas in the afternoon,evening. there are some delicious ones.

Also some reading and meditation on positive thought. Yoga and meditation can really bring you some wonderful peace. For me, I have to get used to 'not worrying', because for me, its a habit. Habits can be changed, with work. It can only help

hugs
chic
Old 04-09-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had to give up caffeine too. For some reason when I quit drinking caffeine would bring on an anxiety attack.

I also used cognitive therapy. I learned to talk myself down rather then escalate the attack by freaking out. The mind is such a powerful tool.

My anxiety improved immensely the longer I stayed sober. I'd say by 80 percent.

Exercise is also a valuable tool for both sobriety and anxiety.

Best Wishes, Sleepie.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is a thread about anxiety in the Newcomer's section that you might want to look at.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Drug, alcohol, poisons, narcotics,
habit forming meds, etc do a number
on our insides affecting nerves, blood,
muscles, etc. They cause a chemical
imbalance in our bodies.

Learn and educate ourselves what is
good for our own bodies is important for
long term sobriety and recovery.

We are all made up differently inside,
genetically and so what works for one
person not necessarily works for another.
So working closely with our physicians
being totally honest with them so they
can aid us in getting healthy in the long
run is important.

All those toxins can cause a chemical
imbalance in our bodies affecting many
areas of our bodies and minds.

It took me working on my recovery
first, making sure I worked my program
to learn to remain sober each day as I
am living on lifes terms, then addressed
my health issues with my physician.

They know right off the bat my history
with addiction and my program of recovery
and how important it is to me to remain
sober no matter what. That they know that
if anything is administered to me that it
is non habit forming and not narcotic.

Physicians are available to us if used
in an honest way so that the quality
of our lives are up to par so that we
can enjoy living in recovery as healthy
and happy as it can be.

Use each, recovery program, physicians
and Faith with respect and honesty for
long term health and happiness.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

on new one i discovered that really is awesome it almost makes me too calm is zen music. I'll sit around listening to that in the afternoons and it calms me right down.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Do you have an idea what is causing the anxiety? Are there unfinished tasks around the house etc...?
Old 04-09-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys i am going try all of this! I have not had caffeine except for the rare diet soda for months, maybe even a year. Years ago I tried meditation. I liked it then. I have been in the habit of walking every day. It's getting warmer so I can bike to the zen temple I used to attend. Recently I eat one or two big bowls of steamed veggies a day so working on getting my diet in order, I think my brain is wired for anxiety for two reasons one, a neurological disorder that resulted in a learning disorder and or ADD, I am always worried about what I will do or say wrong. Two, an abusive upbringing that set my brain on constant high alert as a kid and the first twenty years of my life. Hard to undo! Very difficult to work around your grey matter.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Thanks guys i am going try all of this! I have not had caffeine except for the rare diet soda for months, maybe even a year. Years ago I tried meditation. I liked it then. I have been in the habit of walking every day. It's getting warmer so I can bike to the zen temple I used to attend. Recently I eat one or two big bowls of steamed veggies a day so working on getting my diet in order, I think my brain is wired for anxiety for two reasons one, a neurological disorder that resulted in a learning disorder and or ADD, I am always worried about what I will do or say wrong. Two, an abusive upbringing that set my brain on constant high alert as a kid and the first twenty years of my life. Hard to undo! Very difficult to work around your grey matter.
yeah always waiting for the next ball to drop even when your not.

In my case yes there are causes for my anxiety at times. and at other times i'm just on a level 10 for no apparent reason at all.

Thats why its called an anxiety disorder!

I recently read an article about what not to say to someone who suffers anxiety. One of the items was along the lines of dont try and tell them how they should feel or that it they shouldnt feel this anixiety etc.. IE if it was so easy the person wouldnt have anxiety issues or hence the disorder!!

I long for the day when i beat mine but even when i was a kid it was bad of course i was always getting beat. My life was lived in total fear of what iw as gonna get screamed at for next or beat on for next etc.. and Not much has changed in my head anyhow.

So its ok to feel what your feeling. in time it'll ease up.

One things for sure my anxiety on a level of 1-10 was about 50 when i quit drinking! it was intense and thats an understatement. Now I float around a 5-8 during normal times.