Notices

Don't think Campral is working...

Old 04-08-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down Don't think Campral is working...

Hi guys, haven't posted on here in a while. Just wandering if anyone else takes Campral (acamprosate) and if so, do you think it's helping. I've been taking Campral for a few months now along with Prozac which I've been taking for years. The Prozac is like a wonder drug! Its really helped me with my mood and anxiety. However the Campral hasn't done anything, literally nothing. It hasn't once helped me with my cravings. I don't know if my Dr gave me a placebo or not but its really not helping me. I told my Dr about this and she told me to stop taking it if it wasn't working. I don't really see the point in taking it anymore. Personally I think that staying sober just takes willpower and perserverance but that's just me. Would really like to here your views on this. Has it helped you? Do you think I should stick with it or quit?

Thanks so much guys :-)
Old 04-08-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

I took Campral for a while they say to take it for a year but i stopped before a year

if you ever get urges or cravings always reach out to SR were all in this together friend
Old 04-08-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you! The support on here is better than any medicine :-)
Old 04-08-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Anytime SoberAndy you sir are awesome
Old 04-08-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I take it, have done on and off for maybe 6 months. I don't exactly know if it works for me either, I've gone on benders during that time but day to day I think i get less cravings, maybe? I used to think so at least. Eh really don't know but I don't have any side effects so I'll keep taking it, no harm
Agree I find SR more helpful though!!!
Old 04-08-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Andy I believe that Campral or not we have to learn to deal with our cravings one day.

They're not unbeatable and you can get through them...you obviously have been if you've been sober a few months?

I'm glad you saw your Dr...the end decision is down to you tho

D
Old 04-08-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey SoberAndy. I took Campral and didn't feel anything while I was on it. The doctor told me that it was rewiring my brain from all the damage that I did while drinking.

I read the pamphlet that the Campral came with and it stated they weren't even sure how it worked with the brain. I thought that was kind of strange, but I took it anyway. I hope it helps you if you keep on taking it.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I took it for a while but don't think it did much for me. I had to learn to deal with cravings on my own, to remind myself when I'd get cravings, where those cravings would lead... and it's not a nice place.

The longer I'm sober, the less I am bothered by cravings. It's been over five years now and any rare thoughts of drinking are replaced by my gratitude for my sober life.