Notices

Why did you start drinking in the first place?

Old 04-08-2015, 01:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Brainwashed by society around me that this is what you have to do to enjoy anything , started with a can of lager at about 14 , sad really.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I started drinking in highschool but my drug of choice was always marijuana. I continued drinking through college with very little problems. Usually a 6 pack on the weekends, sometimes a little more given the circumstances. It wasnt until after graduation when i moved into a house with a kegarator that my drinking started to escalate. I started drinking everday. Having beer always available made it too easy to continue drinking and set a pattern. After i moved from kegarator house, my drinking curtailed a little. But shortly after i started playing online video games. The mixture of beer, pot, and video games became very addicting. I had a job which afforded me lots of free time and money. So over a span of 10 plus years, my alcoholism started to dominate my life.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

At first I started drinking to help with anxiety, then when I started drinking heavily I used it to escape reality. It was easier to get drunk than to have to face my issues head on
Old 04-08-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Court jester

First time at 21, I was scared to death of life after just leaving the church. My whole life had been built on my religion and I chose to walk away from it. I had no concept of myself or the world around me.

At 45, I was reeling in pain due to being disillusioned with my life and severe anxiety/OCD.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Do your best

My alcoholism was progressive in the end i just drank for any reason going

Glad to be a week away from 21 months
Old 04-08-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

i dont wanna think about that . im forgetting it why
Old 04-08-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hmm, interesting question. Can't really say WHY I started drinking, but I can tell you WHEN my drinking started to become a problem. I drank socially up until the age of 40-41. Nothing out of the ordinary. At about 42 I started drinking daily after work, and as everyone has said, it crept up on me, and I knew it was becoming a problem. My body was not handling it well. I made some pretty big changes and things were going well for quite some time. Then I really "stepped in it" last winter for about 10 weeks. It was hell. I learned everything I wanted to know about alcohol in those 10 weeks. And I did it the hard way (typical for me). I've never claimed to be very smart.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

For any reason.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

First & foremost I drank because that's what one did! Pure & simple. You went out socializing & you drank. I thought it was so sophisticated, being twelve years older than me, my brother had such a wondrous and fascinating lifestyle (to a 15 year old!). It was only when I was about 17/18 that my drinking started to manifest itself. I loved the the effect it had on me (too much) the whole party/glamour scene, I just loved it!!!!

I've never drank through shyness or feeling awkward or social problems, in fact I'm entirely the opposite, outgoing personality, the all time party gall! That's the crazy thing, I don't need to drink!!!! I don't want anyone to take that statement the wrong way, I actually think no one needs to drink it's just that we all started for different reasons. I believe a lot of boozing in this country is ingrained habit & upbringing. One has to drink to have a good time/relax etc, etc, total and utter rubbish.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

i started doing it when i was in college with friends doing alot of college partying as i got older .i was dating a girl for the longest time and we split after that my uncle remodeled the house and moved me and my sister to a hotel for a while .While the house was being re-done .I was 22 and technically i had my "own place" so when i came home from work i did take out and i bought my smokes and i bought bottles of vodka .I was still in the party state of mind but i realized i didn't have to go out partying to drink i could do it at home . Here i am today ugggh
Old 04-09-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I started drinking (after twenty years sober) just one glass of wine in the afternoon to calm down so I wouldn't get in a fight with teenage daughter when she came home from school. Within six months I was drinking all day, every day.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I started because it let me feel ok being alone, which I wanted then. It turned into wanting to be alone, to no choice but be alone. A buzz makes anything you do with your time ok.

pretty stupid really, but I can't go back 20 year and correct myself, all there is now.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Saved by Grace

I started drinking almost 40 years ago because I thought it was cool. It's what all the cool kids did. What a dumba$$ I was. Now I can't quit.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:45 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

From my very first, to my very last drink, I sought escape. It took a while, but I eventually discovered my solution had become a problem.