SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Alcoholic neuropathy (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/364072-alcoholic-neuropathy.html)

JensDestiny 04-06-2015 09:51 AM

Alcoholic neuropathy

Hi, I am wondering if anyone else has experienced alcohol neuropathy? Luckily mine only seems to be in one of my toes but the tingling will drive you insane. I have known some (my mother was one of them) who had this in both her hands and feet after she quit drinking and it continued throughout the remainder of her life.

I am wondering if anyone has had this and/or if you regained the feeling in those extremities or if they are always numb and tingly now?

*This is one of those damaging things that doesn't always come to mind in association with alcohol but it definitely can happen.

Soberwolf 04-06-2015 11:17 AM

Ive never heard of it but i hope it improves jensdestiny

zjw 04-06-2015 11:19 AM

I got checked for diabetic neuropathy ions ago becuase the nurologist was trying to rule it out with restless legs. I hav eno idea the outcome of the test as the neurologist ticked me off and I never went back!

But in my reading of things I guess I do got something going on. I cant fee things in my toes too well. and my hands and feet are always like ice.

In my case maybe its bad circulation I have no idea. But sobering up never changed anything if anything its worse now since I lost weight I'm even more cold all the time. I've considered packing on 100lbs just so i can stay warmer in winter before as crazy as that sounds!

There are some advantages of being obese and remaining warm was one of them.

JeffreyAK 04-06-2015 01:44 PM

I had this pretty bad towards the end of my drinking days, and for a while after I quit, tingly and kinda numb hands and feet. It scared me, but it did go away. :)

alphaomega 04-06-2015 02:15 PM

I had it too. Especially the first month sober. Less the second month. Now in the third month even less.

StormiNormi 04-06-2015 02:24 PM

I have a friend who suffers extremely with it. He has been sober about 8 years, and expects never to have full sensation back in his feet. He walks with a distinguishable limp now.

JensDestiny 04-06-2015 03:30 PM

Unfortunately, my mom was an alcoholic and when she had quit drinking for about 6 months or so, she lost the feeling (tingling, numbness) in her hands and feet. She ultimately started drinking again and died a few years later from alcoholism but she never regained the sensation in her hands or feet. I have been sober for 10 months but hopeful that it goes away... or, I guess in this case, comes back!

ChiefBromden 04-06-2015 03:49 PM

I have it for 5 years now. Many people get it without ever finding a reason (idiopathic) but for me the reason was clear: alcohol abuse. When I quit drinking in June 2012 I had it pretty bad: burning feet, stabbing pains, walking on rocks... not something you'd wish on your worst enemy.

After I got sober it ... became even worse. It really tested my resolve as the first 9 months were hell. I could not walk at all. It felt like someone was trying to pull out my big toes with pliers. Pain killers did nothing. You see, alcohol both causes it and numbs the pain. A wheelchair seemed the unavoidable next step. Still, I didn't give up, studied all I could on vitamins and diet, and things did improve. Since then I was even able to remodel most of our house and go to a few rock concerts.

I'd say I'm 80% better. Some days I feel no discomfort, some days I feel cramps and numbness. No more burning pain or stabbing.I know this is the best it will get, and I'm absolutely cool with that. My drinking, my choices, my mistake. A mistake I won't make again, as I never want to go back to that combination of emotional and physical pain ever again.

visionoftruth 04-06-2015 04:29 PM

Hi Jens,

A more specific definition is Alcoholic Polyneuropathy. There is a detailed article available on Wikipedia.

I have it in both my hands and feet and, while the frequency has decreased in these last two months since I have been sober, the intensity has not. There is some valuable information in that article, and I intend to begin taking the synthetic thiamine as recommended.

I am grateful, in a sense, that my liver survived, and to have a daily reminder of what alcohol has done to my body.

Soberwolf 04-06-2015 04:31 PM

Welcome Vision

StormiNormi 04-06-2015 04:37 PM

Vision, I just finished reading that very same article

LexieCat 04-06-2015 05:00 PM

The numbness in my fingers and toes was one of the physical symptoms that scared me into sobriety. In the six years since I quit drinking, it has actually progressed to a numb patch on my ankle.

I have no clue whether it is actually related to the alcohol (I drank alcoholically for only about fourteen years), or whether something else is going on. I had a complete neurological workup many years ago, and no cause was ever determined. I should probably go back for more testing, but it doesn't seem to be that much worse (apart from the spot on my ankle). It isn't a huge problem for me, more annoying than anything else. I also get muscle cramps in my hands and feet.

visionoftruth 04-07-2015 02:59 PM

Thank you, SoberWolf. :)

I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I was experiencing early symptoms of the disorder two years ago, did the research, discovered that alcohol was the cause and that this was a progressive illness, and essentially shrugged my shoulders. Alcohol is cunning indeed!

Dee74 04-07-2015 03:04 PM

welcome to SR visionoftruth :)

D

visionoftruth 04-07-2015 03:16 PM

Thank you, Dee. :)

RexPotter01 08-22-2016 02:57 PM

Terribly scary. I would like to hear from anyone who has gotten better, or who has it only!

Bunny211 08-23-2016 06:02 AM

I had it terribly at the end of my drinking. I would wake up and my arm would be "Dead" and I would have to use my other arm to move the dead arm....smack it and slap it until it came back to life. Now, 15 months sober, I have no neuropathy at all.

Pitty 08-23-2016 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bunny211 (Post 6104304)
I had it terribly at the end of my drinking. I would wake up and my arm would be "Dead" and I would have to use my other arm to move the dead arm....smack it and slap it until it came back to life. Now, 15 months sober, I have no neuropathy at all.

Oh my goodness! I have had this frequently... I thought it was due to me sleeping on my arm wrong....

Delilah1 08-23-2016 06:12 AM

I have never heard of it before. I hope it goes away!

SnazzyDresser 08-23-2016 07:35 PM

I have this, permanent numbness in my feet. It really sucks. And how stupid and addicted was I to keep drinking even while I knew it was progressing. I can still walk and whatnot but my balance is iffy at times. It really sucks, but all I can do now is not drink anymore so it doesn't get worse. One of the more substantial costs of abusing alcohol for 15 years.